Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early P85D, lots of minor issues, anybody else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my P85D 12/20 after having been stuck in the "black hole" for a month. Similarly, I've had a lot of minor issues, mostly cosmetic, but all of them have been fixed and the service center has been great:

• Noticed a small blemish in the leather panel near the glovebox a couple weeks after taking delivery. Pretty sure it was always there (if a passenger caused it, then the leather was pretty awful quality...maybe just from a bad batch or something), but Tesla replaced the entire section that included the blemish, no questions asked.
  • A couple days after delivery noticed a large scratch in the yacht floor - I had hardly put anything in the yacht floor so pretty sure it was there at the time of delivery. Tesla replaced it for me no questions asked.
  • After delivery, I took the car in immediately for opti-coating, where my opti-coat guy discovered a scratch in my passenger side front door. So I think it likely was there at delivery. This was the only issue that I had to really haggle with Tesla before it was fixed (they eventually helped to get the door re-painted, which was nice, but I did have to argue with them quite a bit - they said it wasn't noted at delivery so it had to have happened after - super lame - but eventually they made things right).
  • A couple months after delivery the panel on the driver side front door (interior) started to detach from the door, even exposing an orange strap of some sort that possibly attached so the air bag. Service center fixed it - there was some sort of latch missing (troubling!).
  • The tray below the touch screen broke a few weeks ago. Tesla replaced the entire tray.
  • My charge port door gets stuck every once in awhile so it won't open. The service center supposedly fixed it, but it still happens every so often. I usually can fix it myself, but it's a bit annoying. I'll probably just mention it next time I need to go to the service center, which hopefully won't be for awhile now!
  • Not really a quality issue but I was one of the folks who had to wait 5 months to get my actual Next-Gen rear seats. Annoying mostly because they set false expectations (told me mid Feb at first - then not delivered until late May).

Random note - when I took delivery at the factory, my car was in a tent and it was a dark, rainy day - so I think perhaps if it had been in the light I may have seen some of these issues and refused delivery. Although I realize this thread isn't necessarily the correct audience, you should tell everyone you know to TAKE DELIVERY IN A WELL LIT ENVIRONMENT.

Second random note - I took delivery of a P85+ in September and had NO issues like this (traded it for my P85D after 3 months)...so to me seems like these first P85D builds were clearly not of quite the same quality as the cars they had been cranking out before. And all the extra time I had to spend in and out of the service center has been a bit inconvenient.

But having said all that, I still consider this car one of the best purchases I've made in my life, and the folks at the service center had all exceeded my expectations.

- After rolling up the driver side window after the first long exposure of the car to the sun, the window got covered in some black, gooey excess butyl that was in the door assembly. It took a while to get the window fully cleaned up of this sticky stuff.
[/FONT]

Hi. Have had my P85D for almost 4 months. Sat in real heavy sun for a long time for the first time yesterday. Opened and closed back left window and got the black stuff too. What did you use to remove it? Also, did you mention it to the SC? Thanks.