Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Production Model S Wheel Misalignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
I'm the owner of an early production Model S P85, vin#7128. Even though I took delivery of my car in the beginning of 2013, I haven't driven it a lot, and just hit 20,000 miles. When I brought my car into service, they mentioned that the treads on my tires were worn out, and recommended I replace all four tires. I am not a super aggressive driver, and I drive mostly highway miles. I found this to be extremely surprising but I ordered new tires and went to a local shop to put them onto the car. At that time, I requested they do an alignment of all four tires, and they noticed that the wheels were severely misaligned. My car has never been in an accident or driven in a way to cause severe misalignment of the wheels, so I suspect this misalignment was due a manufacturing problem of the early production cars. I have been following Tesla for a long time and have been on TMC for quite some time. I remember many of the early production owners complaining about misaligned wheels, and tires giving out in less than 20K miles. I was wondering how you resolved these issues, and what Tesla did to help fix them. Can any of the early owners provide some guidence/insight on how should proceed with the matter?

Thanks,
Hersh

P.S.
For reference, here are the alignment numbers:
Front Left: 1.0degrees chamber, 0.14in Toe
Front Right: -2.7degrees chamber, 0.30in Toe
Rear Left: -2.1degrees chamber, -0.38in Toe
Rear Right: -2.3degrees chamber, -0.15in Toe

I have an early 2013 S85 with the 19" wheels and the wear on the first batch of tires was VERY uneven- the inside of the rear tires was severely worn while everything else was wearing reasonably evenly. After I got a new set of tires, I went to my local service center (San Rafael) and asked for the new camber bolts and a complete alignment. That did the trick- the next set of tires wore much more evenly (after rotating them at around 15,000 miles) and I got 35,000 miles out of that set.

If you get a proper alignment tire life is fine. I'm getting 40-45K miles now on Primacies, before 15K. The trick is toe. If there is even the slightest bit of toe-out on the rear, they will wear very quickly. Although people complain about the camber, that only amplifies the toe-out problem, it doesn't cause it. Tesla SCs are spotty on alignment. Best to take it to a shop that specializes in race car alignment (where the technicians actually know something about alignment). Expect to pay about $250, anything under $100 means they just read the numbers without understanding.

I have a car which is even earlier than yours (vin 40xx). Just after receiving the car in Feb 2013, I had the alignment redone in Tampa. They corrected the alignment, and I now have over 31,000 on my OEM Michelin 21's. I will be in for replacement in the next 1 - 2K miles. I second the toe alignment mentioned above.

Ah, 3 years, 20,000 miles, and you are just getting your first alignment?

My Primacy MXM4's lasted 21,000 miles (probably could have stretched to 22-23,000, but with winter, I replaced them). It's within norm depending on your driving habits and alignment, which can be affected by potholes and the like.

My local Firestone just got a Hunter alignment machine that supports the Model S and I bought a lifetime alignment from them, with the intention of having my alignment checked every 6 months, once at the Tesla Service Center and once locally. There are enough potholes where I drive and my driveway has a big lip at the entrance that I figured alignment will be more of an issue for my car.

I also have stopped using "low" suspension setting since that increased camber for very little efficiency gain.

~ 20,000 miles on 19" Primacies sounds ABNORMAL to me. I just had mine replaced at 40,000 miles with 4/32 outer tread and 3/32 inner tread remaining. Very even wear. I took delivery of my P85 in August of 2013. Local service has changed my rotation interval from every 5,000 miles to every 7,500-10,000 miles due to how evenly my tires are wearing.

Tesla had issues with the alignments on early deliveries which were further exacerbated when Tesla's service centers were aligning vehicles to the wrong specifications at some point in 2013. Our local service was outsourcing alignments to one of the local Mercedes dealerships during the early days. Mine had to be redone three times before it felt right, and even then, I had it redone a 4th time when Tesla Service acquired its own alignment bench. Now Tesla's alignments are spot on, but they didn't used to be.

I don't know if the early deliveries were misaligned from the factory or if the alignment drifted during transport, but I had a similar situation with my brand new Toyota Prius in 2007. I drove it home off the lot and right back to the dealer the next day for a complimentary alignment. According to Toyota (take with a grain of salt), alignment can shift during transport. Lots of other reports online regarding initial alignments being off for that model year Prius. I chalk it up to a factory QC issue.

I don't know if the early deliveries were misaligned from the factory or if the alignment drifted during transport, but I had a similar situation with my brand new Toyota Prius in 2007. I drove it home off the lot and right back to the dealer the next day for a complimentary alignment. According to Toyota (take with a grain of salt), alignment can shift during transport.
Cars going out of alignment during transport is rather common. Some places check before delivery and some wait for the customer to complain.

Just to clarify I have 19" all season stock tires that came with the car. That's why I'm surprised that they went in less than 20K miles... (< 2/32" thread on the rear two and the front were at 3/32").
Also, if this is indeed a QA/transport issue, Tesla should be compensating for new tires and alignment however they refused to reimburse for the new tires, and are only willing to do one complimentary alignment. I already paid money for lifetime alignment at my local dealer, not to mention the cost of the new tires! This is not my first bad experience with Tesla's customer service, and those of you who have been around as long as I have probably remember my old posts regarding their delivery fiasco. I'm really losing all patience with the company.

I had a major issue with my 2014 p85 w cyclone wheels and the primacies tires, it would pull right so badly on the freeway so I took it in like 7 times to the sc until they got it driving straight. I have 52k miles on my original tires and 3-4mm left. Make them fix it, these tires will last a long time if alignment is proper.