Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early VINs: removing the rear squishiness by upgrading suspension components

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I dropped off my car at the San Diego center for the shield upgrade and a couple other items and had a print out of this thread. They said no. I think we need to really be clear about it as I would like my car to be up to current car standards. The "squishy floaty" feeling is the main thing I don't like. I already plan to stagger the wheels and get the larger + rear wheels later (which we can do).
Im emailing ownership as well as my advisor with a link to this.

The best I can do is to suggest you have your service advisor call the St. Louis service center and ask about the changes that were made.

Maybe give them a heads up people are emailing ownership about this. Maybe they can get the chassis person at HQ to approve things so all service centers are on the same page. Would save them some phone calls from other service centers at least. Thanks!

Maybe give them a heads up people are emailing ownership about this. Maybe they can get the chassis person at HQ to approve things so all service centers are on the same page. Would save them some phone calls from other service centers at least. Thanks!

I did give them a heads-up, so far they've gotten one call but are happy to take some more. :)

Heard from my advisor. Not officially supported but may become available. I'm on the short list. Let's get ownership and chassis HQ to approve this. Until they do, my advisor said their hands are tied. I don't see the problem...we are paying for this.

Agree...we need more requests. I want the car to be up to present standards. It's a major difference in driving feel. Actually, I even consider it to be a bit of a safety issue as to me the car doesn't feel as planted (though it may be). The upgrade isn't out of the question per the SD staff, but no official response yet. I'm going to try ownership again
tomorrow.

Agree...we need more requests. I want the car to be up to present standards. It's a major difference in driving feel. Actually, I even consider it to be a bit of a safety issue as to me the car doesn't feel as planted (though it may be). The upgrade isn't out of the question per the SD staff, but no official response yet. I'm going to try ownership again
tomorrow.

I must already have what you guys are talking about in my P85 delivered last August, or I'm just not as attentive as you guys. I drove a P85+ and it felt no different than my P85 on the freeways, curves, etc. I'm pretty sensitive to picking up differences, and I was really looking forward to seeing how much I gave up by not spending the extra money on the P+. Glad I saved my money, honestly. I don't notice any difference except the P85+ being much noisier due to the tires.

I must already have what you guys are talking about in my P85 delivered last August, or I'm just not as attentive as you guys. I drove a P85+ and it felt no different than my P85 on the freeways, curves, etc. I'm pretty sensitive to picking up differences, and I was really looking forward to seeing how much I gave up by not spending the extra money on the P+. Glad I saved my money, honestly. I don't notice any difference except the P85+ being much noisier due to the tires.

I'm in the same camp, Amped. I was all excited late last summer to drive a P+ loaner for the first time - couldn't for the life of me feel a difference from my regular P85. And I'm pretty sensitive to these things, too. I have plenty of track driving experience and have done suspension mods to past cars. Shrug.

Could it be the control arm and bushing updates go all the way back to Jan '13? Any way to tell, short of putting the car up on a lift?

Doubt it Early Adopter. My vin is 8027. I definitely notice a difference. Funny how variable our experiences are. almost as varied as the tire wear.

I'm in the same camp, Amped. I was all excited late last summer to drive a P+ loaner for the first time - couldn't for the life of me feel a difference from my regular P85. And I'm pretty sensitive to these things, too. I have plenty of track driving experience and have done suspension mods to past cars. Shrug.

Could it be the control arm and bushing updates go all the way back to Jan '13? Any way to tell, short of putting the car up on a lift?

I doubt it - I don't think P+ was even announced then.

As far as telling, you'd have to put it up on a lift. Label on the top of the LCA should give the part #, and the old ass'y is P/N 6006774.

Just to make this clear - for people who didn't read the first post entirely - this was a paid service change on my part, not free and not something I considered wrong with the car; it drove fine. I just wanted it stiffened up like today's models.

I have asked and was advised that anyone who desires this should have their service advisor and/or service manager call the St. Louis service center for the details. No official "announcement" is planned for the approval here. (Brian, I have no idea why your SC called and is still refusing...)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Flasherz. I messages my advisor to contact your center and they are now waiting for Tesla to make a policy. Nobody is allowed to do any upgrades until they do. Waiting patiently.

sent email to Jerome.

update - heard from Jerome. He thought I was talking about retrofitting to +. Sent an email back with the parts listed by flasherz and some script. Maybe we need to message directly as there is confusion regarding the request.

Last edited:
It may be an issue with simply calling it an "upgrade". I call it "paying to bring the car up to current production specs". :)

I had the same problem when I called it an "upgrade" early in the process.

It's approved! I emailed Jerome and his response back was that they will replace whatever parts we wish to replace up to current car standards. Thanks again for the help FlasherZ and to everyone else. Here is a copy of what I got back just now:

"Thank you for the clarification. We will replace the parts you want us to replace – we will prepare a quote for you to that effect. We cannot guarantee whether the driving behavior will match your expectations.

Thanks again. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen I VP, WW sales and service"

It's approved! I emailed Jerome and his response back was that they will replace whatever parts we wish to replace up to current car standards. Thanks again for the help FlasherZ and to everyone else. Here is a copy of what I got back just now:

"Thank you for the clarification. We will replace the parts you want us to replace – we will prepare a quote for you to that effect. We cannot guarantee whether the driving behavior will match your expectations.

Thanks again. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen I VP, WW sales and service"

please post the quote when you get it. i'm interested (probably won't get it, but still interested).