Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Earning $$ while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking that the time it takes to supercharge while on a road trip could be a negative for someone contemplating a Model S purchase, when I remembered that supercharging is FREE. So I decided to calculate an hourly wage rate for a supercharger attendant. :biggrin:

While there are no really comparable cars to the Model S, I picked the BMW 550 and Mercedes E550 for comparison. With EPA ratings of 23/22 mpg highway, let's assume 20 mpg actual and $4.00/gal for premium unleaded. It took me 45 minutes to replenish the 160 rated/115 real miles between supercharger stations on I5 in CA.

$.20/mi * 115 mi / .75 hr = $30.66/hr.

Not a bad wage for surfing the web/eating lunch/using the bathroom!

At first I thought this thread was an offer to actually make money while I charge. :)

But I like your thinking. Only correction I would make is that I pay for fuel with after tax money, so using a quick "gross up" calculator with standard FICA, 28% federal, and 8% state tax rates I get a pre-tax hourly pay of $54.40. That's a pretty good wage for doing nothing!