Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Earth Day @Google - Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I looked for another appropriate thread for the pictures, I know there is one, my searching skills failed me. Good thing I work in another part of the company ;-).

So, #65 was here today, in Sig Red w/ a standard interior. Being one of the latest, I thought y'all would be interested in some pictures. Didn't have time to take to many (I had volunteered as a ride-a-long in the Fit EV for an hour, and things were mobbed around the Model S after that, and my phone's camera kept getting wedged and needing reboots). The interior is slowly tightening up, and in person, the console looked much better than I thought it would. It was running a newer version of the interface, which had two main parts, which could easily be swapped or expanded (full screen nav is great). I do think the lack of storage behind the seats is a little odd. The cup holders up front looked nice. The fit and finish still needs work, but it was definitely better than the earlier beta next to it.

The door handles are really cool (yes, they were working, and working pretty well - didn't get a chance to see them working with the key). Without the electronics package, it will take (slightly) longer to get in than a normal car unless Tesla is doing something clever like extending one handle on the first unlock press on the fob and extending all on two presses. Touching the handle to extend it happens reasonably quickly, and the door was unlocking and opening before I could even get my hand down all the way to pull.

IMG_20120420_104957.jpg
IMG_20120420_105313.jpg
IMG_20120420_105026.jpg
IMG_20120420_121223.jpg
IMG_20120420_105039.jpg

(It was encouraging seeing all the different EVs - some 'real' / purchasable, some lease only. I had fun chatting up EVs in the fit - I think I got about 8 people through drives around the block).

Attachments

• IMG_20120420_105039.jpg
    IMG_20120420_105039.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_20120420_121223.jpg
    IMG_20120420_121223.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:
Very nice! SByer, is this area open to the public? Or, is it for Google employees alone? And, how late would they be there? Wondering if I can stop by (before my school run to Palo Alto) and take a peek; I can tap into my friend network at G to let me in if necessary...

Good that Tesla's trying to lure atleast some G employees!

The cars had been plugged in when I got there, they unplugged them during the event (11-2, Google employees only), I'm guessing so that people didn't trip over them. I get much more why they went with their own connector. Even compared to the J1772-AC, it's so much nicer. The charge ports don't open from the outside, it seems (I poked at the older one when I got back, couldn't get it to open from the outside) - not surprising.

The micro-fiber seats were really nice to sit in. My friend Albert sat in both (I only sat in #65 before the crowds got there), and noted that the newer seats (I'm guessing that the shape is newer, but it could be the shape goes with the microfiber) fit much better - more hold without feeling like you couldn't get out of them.

The employees at the event (I wish I were better with names, just not wired that way) were very nice when I asked about pictures, they knew where they would end up by that point. They also noted (and it was pretty easy to observe in person) that fit and finish is still getting better with each one through the line, as less and less of the car is put together by hand. It wasn't just at the joints, either, I noticed waviness in the black one in the aluminum of the hatch section (not where you would see it normally) that wasn't in #65.

The headrests in the rear seats were different in the newer one (wish I had gotten pictures). A bit more sleek. The center console screen seems more integrated in person than in pictures (I was not expecting that).

Thank you for the pictures!

The non-leather seats look good, I'm glad since I wasn't planning on taking the leather seat option.
I do have concerns about the steering wheel though, it looks awful in the first interior picture.

Looks like it was a bright day. Since the touchscreen is usually only seen indoors or at evening events, how was its visibility in the sun?

+1 Good question. All car manufacturers seem to tilt their screens up rather than having them vertical or even at a slight negative angle (top slightly closer to the rear of the car). A positive angle causes the sun reflect on them during certain times of the day making the screen non-readable. I suspect this may be worse in the Tesla because your hand can't cover a significant portion of the screen. It's like the designers never actually had to drive the car in the morning or afternoon.

I haven't seen the screen in person, but if it's a glossy screen then the sun's reflection will blind the driver. Just the small amount of chrome trim around the start button on the Prius does this.

Well, the screen was plenty visible, but there wasn't any direct sun on it. I had my sunglasses on, didn't seem to cause an issue. I didn't particularly notice any glare in spite of hte reflecty screen.

Yeah, the phone camera wasn't doing very well with the high contrast situation.

No, that definitely white. Above the horn button is washed out, below it's not washed out at all. It's white. Contrast it to the logo and the chrome on the dash.

Well, given that the guy who posted the photos seems to confirm that it is wash out...

Well, the screen was plenty visible, but there wasn't any direct sun on it. I had my sunglasses on, didn't seem to cause an issue. I didn't particularly notice any glare in spite of hte reflecty screen.

Yeah, the phone camera wasn't doing very well with the high contrast situation.

I'm taking it as the normal steering wheel (with chrome) and not some terrible evil plan by Tesla to cheap out on the materials.