Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Earth Day - How EVs can help a sustainable future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
I am manning a booth in a local Earth Day event this Friday and the theme of my station is:

"EVs contribution to a green sustainable future".

The plan is to have a few slides running in the background on the big monitor, that touts the greenness of EVs, while I explain to anyone who is interested in knowing about EVs.

I am sure some of you in this forum have already been there, done that. And my hope is perhaps you can share with me or point me to a few slides that I can re-use. I am not good in creating cool PowerPoints slides. Or atleast if you can point me to some material that talks about this subject, I will take that.

Thank you very much

@mkjayakumar, this sounds great!

I don't have slides but the Union of Concerned Scientists has some good materials with decent visuals. Their maps showing comparable lifetime carbon emission equivalents state-by-state for average EVs and high efficiency EVs like the Model 3 and Hyundai Ioniq might be helpful. The latest maps are here:

New Data Show Electric Vehicles Continue to Get Cleaner

An important concept that often gets overlooked is that if someone buys an EV today it will get cleaner over time as the grid gets cleaner. On the first map you can toggle between 2009 and 2016 data to show how much improvement there has been in just a few years.

Also, obviously charging from solar is one of the cleanest options. Table 1 from the full UCS report (page 7) estimates solar charging gives you the equivalent of a 350 MPG ICE as far as carbon emissions. https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/defaul...ner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf They also have data for wind if you are interested.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 person
EinSV - thanks for the links. The UCS sites are very good, especially with the nice graphic on how the grid has gotten cleaner over the years. I took a few key talking/bullet points from those pages.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EinSV
I am manning a booth in a local Earth Day event this Friday and the theme of my station is:

"EVs contribution to a green sustainable future".

The plan is to have a few slides running in the background on the big monitor, that touts the greenness of EVs, while I explain to anyone who is interested in knowing about EVs.

I am sure some of you in this forum have already been there, done that. And my hope is perhaps you can share with me or point me to a few slides that I can re-use. I am not good in creating cool PowerPoints slides. Or atleast if you can point me to some material that talks about this subject, I will take that.

Thank you very much
For the love of God, make sure to include material that makes it clear that clean energy production is part of the equation. I can't stand the "electricity isn't clean" argument that pops up constantly (just saw it again recently in a Silicon Valley episode). Stab a dagger in the heart of that argument. EVs are only part of the answer. Tesla knows this. That's why they also do solar and energy storage.

Understood.

EVs take care of one part of the equation - burning energy clean during consumption.

Clean energy production is the other part of the equation. And we are slowly and surely getting better at it by moving away from coal/oil/nuclear to NG/Solar/Wind. Once we wean away completely from coal and oil, the next step is to get rid of NG which is although less polluting, it is fossil fuel nonetheless.

Reactions: EinSV
For the love of God, make sure to include material that makes it clear that clean energy production is part of the equation. I can't stand the "electricity isn't clean" argument that pops up constantly (just saw it again recently in a Silicon Valley episode). Stab a dagger in the heart of that argument. EVs are only part of the answer. Tesla knows this. That's why they also do solar and energy storage.

EVs are THE solution in the automotive sector. But you are right that cleaner energy production and EVs go hand in hand.

EVs and solar are the perfect combination -- like peanut butter and jelly. Sounds like a caption for a slide.:)