Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Earthquake!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
O.T.

7.1 Earthquake in Los Angeles. Lasted about 40 seconds.
Your post is not Off Topic. A catastrophic earthquake in the Bay Area seems to me the only thing TSLAQ have left in their locker.

It might be tail risk but these sorts of quakes should serve as a timely reminder to those that are 100% (or even >100%) invested in this single stock.

It’s a major reason why Giga 3 and 4 can’t come soon enough. Too dependent on a single production location right now.

Your post is not Off Topic. A catastrophic earthquake in the Bay Area seems to me the only thing TSLAQ have left in their locker.

It might be tail risk but these sorts of quakes should serve as a timely reminder to those that are 100% (or even >100%) invested in this single stock.

It’s a major reason why Giga 3 and 4 can’t come soon enough. Too dependent on a single production location right now.
NUMI survived lome prieta just fine.

It did. But that earthquake happened on the San Andreas fault. Tesla’s factory is just a mile or two from the Hayward fault, and not too far from where the Hayward fault comes near the Calaveras fault.

Don't forget the silver creek fault.

By the way my wife is a retired usgs geologist who worked in menlo park. We used to live in Fremont. And still own a house there. We not only lived in Santa Cruise when loma prieta struck but also were in Wellington NZ when the Nov 2016 eq hit there.

Modern buildings built for eq country are amazing. In short don't panic.

Both earthquakes happened at my last duty station in Ridgecrest, and also where I have my home. There hasn't been any reported fires that I can find, but I'll have to wait a while before my property managers will be able to sort through all the mess of the area. :(

My curiosity is how well the Boring Company test tunnels weathered these quakes? I would expect no impact particularly given the distance from the epicenters. Las Vegas will be interested in some info I would expect.

My curiosity is how well the Boring Company test tunnels weathered these quakes? I would expect no impact particularly given the distance from the epicenters. Las Vegas will be interested in some info I would expect.

What about earthquakes?
Tunnels, when designed properly, are some of the safest places to be during an earthquake. From a structural safety standpoint, the tunnel moves uniformly with the ground, in contrast to surface structures. Additionally, a large amount of earthquake damage is caused by falling debris, which does not apply inside tunnels. Some examples:

• 1994 Northridge Earthquake: no damage to LA Subway tunnels

• 1989 Loma Prieta (Northern California) Earthquake: no damage to tunnels, which were then used to transport rescue personnel

• 1985 Mexico City Earthquake: no damage to tunnels, which were then used to transport rescue personnel

FAQ — The Boring Company