TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Earthshaking news out of Fremont today! (Earthquake)

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by ohmman, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I bet all the new cars being built now are going to have their panels misaligned again.

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

5 miles deep and no major damage reported. Hopefully has no impact to Tesla.

4. manis

manis Member

The aftershocks must be pretty minimal. I live about 16 miles from the factory and was up at 2:41am when it happen. Was quick single shake of the house and that was it. Haven't felt anything since.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

4.0 isn't very big

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Maybe Elon stomped his foot in anger about a line delay?

7. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

8. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Think the last one I was supposed to feel in NYC was 3.9.

9. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#9 Grendal, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    I would expect at least an hour delay to halt production and double check alignment of all parts on the production line. With modern robots they might just self realign but a double check wouldn't hurt.

Personal story - I grew up in Silicon Valley. After 30 years of earthquakes I could call the magnitude after a quake and get within .1. I vividly remember the 1989 7.1 magnitude quake. I was in Hayward standing in the middle of an open field. Looking across the field I could see the ground move in waves like the ocean. I turned to the person standing next to me and I said "This is bad. People are going to die." Sadly, I was correct.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

We get quakes like that from time to time. 4.0 is certainly noticeable, but unlikely to do any damage. Maybe if you were right at the epicenter of a shallow quake you could get some damage to weaker structures.

The scale is logarithmic. 5.0 is 10X stronger. That's getting a little more serious.

11. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

12. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Agreed. 4.0 is nothing but slight movement. I bet the factory workers didn't even feel it. I've sat through a sushi dinner in SF with a 4.4 mag. Not a single drop of sake was spilled.

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I remember that one too, although I was 450 miles away at the time. I worked for an industrial paint company and I had two customers in the Oakland Alameda area with large dip tanks containing 400 gallons or so of paint. Both were long, rectangular tanks with sloping ends to enable parts hanging off a conveyor to run down into the tank at one end and back up and out at the other. One tank was oriented north-south, the other east west, so I knew afterward the direction of shaking when one costumer lost a couple hundred gallons of paint sloshed out of their tank and the other lost not a drop.

14. snort

snort Member

In Fremont, a 4.0 is annoying but a pretty small earthquake. There are several in the area every year. In the eastern US, 4.0 is quite a bit more significant, but still pretty small. The difference is the rocks and soils under the surface. The ground of California and the west, with younger rocks and soils and a lot more earthquakes breaking things up, is a lot more flexible than that of the east, which is older and more settled. For example, the 5.8 that happened in Virginia in 2011 (60 times a 4.0) caused only minor damage, but that damage was over a much wider area than a same-size quake in California would have--as much as 150 miles away. A 5.8 in Fremont would have caused minor damage in Fremont (stuff falling off shelves, maybe some damage to masonry), but 100 miles away, likely couldn't be felt at all.

--Snortybartfast

15. Vger

Vger Active Member

I have stood next to the biggest stamping press when it was operating (back when they let you step off the tram). Yes, the floor does shake a little!

16. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

Y'all can keep those ground shakers. I will keep my east coast hurricanes.

17. muleferg

muleferg Member

No ...........Auto Pilot