Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

Easier daily charge routine

Planning to charge my car overnight every day to make benefit of reduced overnight electric rate.
At the moment it's a bit of a pain having to open a door to unlock the car and then unplug the type 2 cable and then get in the car to drive off.
After buying this car I haven't got much cash left so can't afford to get another cable with the button built in or anything like that unfortunately.
Is there a better/easier way to do this?
Have seen there are some cheapish remote buttons for the charger port but has anyone in the UK managed to get one of these to work to unlock the generic type 2 cable from the car?

CMc1

supercharge.info editor
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2019
North, UK
If you have a key fob, you can just hold the trunk button to unlock the charge port.
If you don't have a key fob (such as for a Model 3), if you are nearby with your phone-as-key, you can just push the rear door handle to unlock the charge port.
cheers, have a model 3 and so there isn't a rear door handle push - you have to open it fully to unlock.
Also have android so rather than setup something with IFTTT it's easier to just unlock from my phone but would rather a physical method like a button

arg

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2012
Cambridge, UK
cheers, have a model 3 and so there isn't a rear door handle push - you have to open it fully to unlock.
Also have android so rather than setup something with IFTTT it's easier to just unlock from my phone but would rather a physical method like a button

Note that the physical button on the Tesla cables has two separate functions triggered by the one button: there is a radio transmitter that opens the port cover before you plug in, and there is unlocking the connector so that you can unplug it, triggered by one of the pins on the connector.

The little keyfob button in the screenshot of the video in your post is a radio transmitter for the first function (I think not necessary on Model 3 as you can open the cover by hand?) but won't help with unlocking the connector to unplug it.

The wiring is straightforward if you can manage to mount a normally-closed pushbutton on the charging connector (without damaging it, rendering it unsafe etc.).

There are ways but they'll all involve some messing about unfortunately.
Bluetooth button attached to Tasker on your phone
Zigbee button attached to a smart home solution (Smartthings in my example)
Widget on your home screen etc.

I'm looking forward to messing around with these things when my car eventually arrives - I'll be adding some buttons to my home controller display :)

View media item 120320

Last edited:
Note that the physical button on the Tesla cables has two separate functions triggered by the one button: there is a radio transmitter that opens the port cover before you plug in, and there is unlocking the connector so that you can unplug it, triggered by one of the pins on the connector.

The wiring is straightforward if you can manage to mount a normally-closed pushbutton on the charging connector (without damaging it, rendering it unsafe etc.).

A little OT but does anyone know if the blue Type2-to-Type2 cable supplied with new Model 3s has this button on one of the connectors (in which case using it on an untethered home charger becomes attractive compared to a tethered one without the button).

Also I wonder if anyone (or Tesla) makes a little shim connector with the button (and optional radio) that would sit between the charge port and a standard Type2 cable to give your home charger an upgrade.

arg

Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Would like to know what is actually needed to achieve that as it may be able to make something up.

For the cable unlock-to-unplug function only, it is fairly easy - provided you have a connector that you can actually open up (many have security screws of one sort or another; some are moulded and so impossible to open).

If you do get it open, you will find that there is a 220R resistor between the central earth pin and the 'PP' pin.

The minimal change (ie. to make it actually work) is to insert a normally-closed switch between the PP pin and the resistor. So in the normal state there is the 220R between those pins as before, and with the button pressed the PP pin is disconnected. Model S is happy with this and unlocks the connector without any errors etc.

An arguably more correct change (making it like the Type1 connector which officially has a button, unlike the type2), would be to change the resistor to 150R, insert the switch, and put a 330R resistor in parallel with the switch. In this configuration, there is normally 150R between PP and earth, with the button pressed it rises to 480R. I think this is what the UMC's plug has in it, but I haven't measured it recently and I could be wrong.

For the cable unlock-to-unplug function only, it is fairly easy - provided you have a connector that you can actually open up (many have security screws of one sort or another; some are moulded and so impossible to open).

If you do get it open, you will find that there is a 220R resistor between the central earth pin and the 'PP' pin.

The minimal change (ie. to make it actually work) is to insert a normally-closed switch between the PP pin and the resistor. So in the normal state there is the 220R between those pins as before, and with the button pressed the PP pin is disconnected. Model S is happy with this and unlocks the connector without any errors etc.

An arguably more correct change (making it like the Type1 connector which officially has a button, unlike the type2), would be to change the resistor to 150R, insert the switch, and put a 330R resistor in parallel with the switch. In this configuration, there is normally 150R between PP and earth, with the button pressed it rises to 480R. I think this is what the UMC's plug has in it, but I haven't measured it recently and I could be wrong.

Thought the topic of this thread was EASIER?

Avendit

Apr 18, 2019
EDI

I'm up for these! Tho I may try an ifttt link to a smart thing button first.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it was going to be something simple, like inserting a paperclip into the connector, or adding an rf communication device with rolling 256bit encryption ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and Avendit

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC