Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easier daily charge routine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the cable unlock-to-unplug function only, it is fairly easy - provided you have a connector that you can actually open up (many have security screws of one sort or another; some are moulded and so impossible to open).

If you do get it open, you will find that there is a 220R resistor between the central earth pin and the 'PP' pin.

The minimal change (ie. to make it actually work) is to insert a normally-closed switch between the PP pin and the resistor. So in the normal state there is the 220R between those pins as before, and with the button pressed the PP pin is disconnected. Model S is happy with this and unlocks the connector without any errors etc.

An arguably more correct change (making it like the Type1 connector which officially has a button, unlike the type2), would be to change the resistor to 150R, insert the switch, and put a 330R resistor in parallel with the switch. In this configuration, there is normally 150R between PP and earth, with the button pressed it rises to 480R. I think this is what the UMC's plug has in it, but I haven't measured it recently and I could be wrong.
Brilliant. What sort of voltage are you dealing with for the normally closed switch? Hopefully it works with a Model 3.

Brilliant. What sort of voltage are you dealing with for the normally closed switch? Hopefully it works with a Model 3.

Yes it works with the Model 3, and every other car that has a Type 2 connector with a latch. The voltage on the PP pin is very low, 12 VDC maximum IIRC, and it's isolated from the AC supply.

I've modded both the lead I carry in the car and the tethered lead, using these kits, that include the 433 MHz coded remote to open the charge port door using the same button: Tesla Do It Yourself connector kit. - evChargeking

Lots of options here. I probably went for what I considered to be the easiest and cheapest option.

I attached an NFC tag (£1) to my Wall charger so when I walk by it to get to the car I tap my phone on it and it stops the charge and unlocks the charging cable. It also opens the charging port if the car is locked.

Items needed: A phone with NFC comms, nfc tag, tasker app, tesla taker plugin.