Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easier drive mode change.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure if Tesla has come out with this yet, if so I haven’t seen it yet. But it would be nice if Tesla made it easier to switch between the drive modes. ( Chill, standard, sport). I know other car manufacturers have an easy access button you can push to change drive modes. Sometimes I just want to overtake some one and switch back quickly and less distracted from the road.

The S3XY buttons are good but this is something that Tesla should provide out of the box. A voice command to allow mode change would be really nice. If your like me I prefer to operate in chill mode and only switch to sport when I need the extra power. Being able to do so without fiddling with the screen would be nice.

If your like me I prefer to operate in chill mode and only switch to sport when I need the extra power.

Why?

The car only has one gear, and you can get the exact same wh/mi numbers by just modulating it with your foot, rather than using chill mode. The BMWs I had, it changed the gearing ratio, shift points etc. There is none of that here, and you can accomplish exactly the same thing by just pressing less hard on the accelerator pedal (unlike every ICE vehicle).

From past car ownership I recall setting the drive mode the day I received the car and it was the same when I sold it. IE interesting but less than necessary. With this car, other than a few Known long range drives where I want to conserve every volt of range I can’t imagine Why I would need to constantly fiddle with a button or setting. Want to go slower, Don’t hammer the pedal.

Why?

The car only has one gear, and you can get the exact same wh/mi numbers by just modulating it with your foot, rather than using chill mode. The BMWs I had, it changed the gearing ratio, shift points etc. There is none of that here, and you can accomplish exactly the same thing by just pressing less hard on the accelerator pedal (unlike every ICE vehicle).
Smoother operation. I feel like I'm constantly having to adjust when it's in sport mode. When it is in chill mode it's more pleasant for every day driving. That's not to say I don't like switching to sport and having fun on some twisty back roads once in a while.

It still has plenty of power in chill mode. Just not the full output. It also encourage better efficiency.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Actually I have a different take on this issue. If in CHILL MODE and for some reason I need to call for MORE POWER SCOTTY and mash the throttle why doesn’t the car say, hey the human is calling for MAX PERFORMANCE and release every horse in the stable. Then reverts back to CHILL as soon as the throttle position relaxes. They could maybe set some throttle position threshold like say 70% to trigger the boost.

Problem solved.

Reactions: ScottNY
Actually I have a different take on this issue. If in CHILL MODE and for some reason I need to call for MORE POWER SCOTTY and mash the throttle why doesn’t the car say, hey the human is calling for MAX PERFORMANCE and release every horse in the stable. Then reverts back to CHILL as soon as the throttle position relaxes. They could maybe set some throttle position threshold like say 70% to trigger the boost.

Problem solved.
Good theory until the first person unaware of the ”release all the horses” panics and starts the I want to sue thread.

Problem solved.
The S3XY buttons have a “smart action” in their phone app that mostly implements this. You can adjust the throttle position to activate the “kick down” from chill to sport, then choose to cancel this with the brake pedal or shift into park. The only thing is that the kick down is supposed to happen over 2-3 seconds so it might not be instantaneous enough for some people.

I have not tried this because I’m at the point where I can modulate the accelerator pedal on “sport” to mimic “chill” pretty much at will. I have a S3XY button setup for mode change but pretty much never use it now.