Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easier to avoid speeding tickets in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I don’t have that round speed dial thingy in front of me anymore (I almost forget that it was called a speedometer) and no exhaust noise .... I’m always shocked to see that I’m going 90+ mph. Needless to say, I’m still trying to get use to my Tesla.

Reactions: Bblsttx
Does anyone know a person who was charged with accelerating too fast while not breaking a speed limit? I’ve never heard of that. This just sounds silly.

Yes. Not me though - a coworker.

Here, they just write the ticket under the “operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner” statute. NJSA 39:4-97.2

Pay the fine to the municipality, and a $250 surcharge to the state. No points.

It’s the same statute prosecutors use to plea down speeding tickets. Zero points, but everyone gets paid.

You can read into the above what I think of it ....

"Exhibition of speed" statutes probably tend to exist where good lawyers have tended to have had beaten down "reckless driving" tickets for people zipping to the speed limit from a stop light in a presumably safe manner.

At least here in NJ, we have 3 different statutes:

Reckless driving - very serious, 5 points + fine + possible jail time + possible loss of license
Careless driving - serious, 2 points + fine + possible jail time in extreme circumstances
Unsafe driving - less serious, 0 points, fine + $250 surcharge to the state. You can only plea down (at prosecutor's discretion) to this charge 3 times *in your life*. Use them wisely.

A friend told me accelerating past 100 was really fun in his f80 m3 and brought great satisfaction. His performance 3 is fun all the way to 100 and much faster. But the top end feels like a wrx. Not slow but not fast. That's ok though because the semi legal speeds are a lot more usuable and fun on American roads and tracks. :)

I noticed this too. Since driving a Tesla, I'm much more relaxed in traffic and I always find myself going a little slower compared to my usual highway routine in an ICE car. Can't explain why but I like it.

In Oregon there is an "exhibitionist speeding" charge that does not require exceeding the speed limit, but accelerating rapidly even if it is from 0 mph to 25 mph, no burning rubber required. No excess db required, just "getting on it". Probably written for Cars and Coffee.
Now thats just plain stupid law enforcement, how many more over the top laws does Oregon have, I couldn't live in Oregon.

When I was in college I was pulled over and charged with misdemeanor racing and unnecessary noise while not exceeding the speed limit. I soft launched my B5 S4 from a light in a 50mph zone and did not exceed the speed limit, but did burn rubber. I was turning off my car in a fast food parking lot when the cops pulled up behind me. They had me perform FSTs, but I was completely sober and so they cited me with the misdemeanors (and actually told me that if I had been a man they would have arrested me and taken me to jail. I think they were surprised to see who was driving.). I hired a lawyer and beat both charges as I wasn’t racing and was just being dumb.

I agree with others on this thread that because the M3P doesn’t perform as well up top as some other high powered ICE cars I’ve owned I find I don’t often reach triple digits like I would on empty freeways in my old BMWs. On the other hand, I think it’s a car that can encourage bad behavior at lower speeds and in moderate traffic.

Oh, lord, no. The exact opposite. The car accelerates so darn fast I can't keep the speed reasonable at times. And since more and more effing idiots are on the road being left lane bandits, I am in and out of lanes more than I would like. I've always been a gear head, but having driven on a track, I have no desire to drive fast on the street, it just doesn't nothing for me. But the car just can't not go fast. Mine is a Performance, so YMMV.

I've had about a dozen tickets in my 55 years of driving. I've only successfully beat one. Didn't have a lawyer either. This time the ticket told the story to the judge.

In those days tickets didn't have check boxes to save time. They were short and contained the driver and car make/model then the description of the complaint.

When I was a much younger man, I had a 68 Chevelle 396 SS. I had mounted Corvette exhaust side pipes below the rocker panels. Very loud and border line illegal. One night pulling away from an intersection next to a Hemi, not even racing or speeding, we both made a lot of noise. It got the attention of a police car about a block over not in our sight. He pulled us both over and wrote each a ticket. On the ticket it stated "Heard drivers speeding." I didn't know the other driver, but we agreed together to take it to court and just stand before the judge.
When called, the judge called us forward and looked at us. He called the police officer forward and asked him "what's the sound of speed?" Policeman started some long drawn out double-talk. About 30 seconds into the spiel, the judge raised his hand and said, "Officer, I commend your creativity, next time bring me an example of what speed sounds like. Case dismissed".

I shoulda had a Tesla then.

Ta-Daaaaa !!

I find it much easier to speed unknowingly in this car. It’s power is so accessible—no sense that the car is working hard. And related to that is the silence; there’s little auditory feedback that you’ve been edging up the speed. “Oh, *sugar*! I’m going 92! How’d that happen?”

Considering my 285 wh/m after 17k miles, it is quite easy to speed in my LR RWD 3. At least autopilot makes road trips easy and efficient. So far I have not been pulled over, but I am getting replacement tires already at 17k. Luckily Michelin will warranty that with a nice discount on my next set. Tires are more expensive than energy costs in this car.

Being quiet definitely helps. A loud exhaust draws attention and even if you are going slow people assume you are going fast. A model 3 is also fairly subtle compared to something flashier like a corvette.

I’m not aware of any law in California dictating a maximum rate of acceleration. If the speed limit is 60mph and you reach that speed in 3 seconds you are not breaking any laws as long as you are not impacting other drivers on the road in doing so.
Most places have something like "public display of speed" or will get you for reckless driving. Heck, if they are being jerks they can claim you were street racing.

95% of the time I'm driving 4-5 over in the slow lane and it's gloriously chill.

What sucks are those rare moments where I can't handle my rage from a tailgater or cutter and next thing I know I'm doing triple digit speeds to get away from the dicks.

The day I get pinched it won't be for a measly 10 over, more like 30+ and I'll get to enjoy the insta jail card :(