TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Easier to steal a plane than a Tesla...

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by RedMS, Aug 11, 2018.

1. RedMS

RedMS Member

2. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

Cant steal a plane with a flat bed truck.

Does the US have crappy car thieves or something? Load on flat bed, disconnect LTE by either disconnecting 12V and/ or cutting main power line in the frunk. Then chop up and part out $$$$

3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The problem with the US is all of our intellectual criminal types go into politics, or business.

So there is a real shortage of intellectual criminals. The criminals we do have are mostly drug addicts that can't do anything that takes much effort at all. At best they can do a smash, and grab.

Sometimes we'll have a punk kid who will steal a car to go on a joyride.

In all seriousness as it relates to Tesla it's really Tesla's fault. In a normal car you can replace parts yourself, and you don't have to worry about the car disabling features or even the ability to turn on. With a Tesla the story is different, and so there isn't a market for parts. If there is no market for parts then what's the point of stealing one to part out?

In Europe they get stolen to ship back to eastern Europe. Where they have talented hackers that can likely find ways around what Tesla does. Plus Tesla doesn't have a presence there so the options for people are really limited there.

• Like x 1
  4. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Is this thread a challenge? I think that’s called entrapment. You have to tell me if your a cop right? Someone hold my beer

5. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

Seems you guys excel in white collar crim types, kudos there.

For us mainly old $#ITboxes that joyriders like, Nissans, Holdens, honduh, those cars that can be started with a popsicle stick.

Kinda what I was alluding to.

There was a huge car birth market here but the real money was parting out parts, eg airbag modules were gold. Here we had thieves just use flatbed trucks, pick up whatever car, pack it into a shipping crate and send to middle east. They ran that scam for 20 years but police finally figured that one out. WRXs were prime targets, pincode alarm/immobilizer was hard to bypass but loaded on the truck didn't matter.

I know Tesla wont sell parts so its ripe for a black market in parts, be it salvagers or thieves. I know certain parts need a serial number registered with the car software to work, unsure if people found a hack to rewrite part SN. Even so plenty of parts that don't have SN that there is a market for.

So no I don't think Teslas or any car is hard to steal, more that if there is a market (reason to steal),

6. Cariver

Cariver Member

How did I not use such services as Car Rental at Innsbruck Airport INN, Austria - RENTAL24H ?
    All the time I went by taxi, although I hate it.
    Thank's my friend for advising such a service.
    Auto in excellent condition and a big plus is online insurance, don't need to spend your time on it.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Aside: no, they can lie to your face. But they've not been keen to correct the myth.

On the thread topic, expect things to change. The aviation industry takes safety extremely seriously.