Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest Color to Match

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inevitably, many here will experience the pain of having to make a body repair, which will require repainting. Amongst all the colors currently available is there any one color that is easiest to match? I am considering either the multi-coat red or the silver. My decision of which color to choose would be easy based on experience with paint touch ups and repainting of body panels. My guess would be the silver would be easier than the red. Maybe they're all difficult?

Inevitably, many here will experience the pain of having to make a body repair, which will require repainting. Amongst all the colors currently available is there any one color that is easiest to match? I am considering either the multi-coat red or the silver. My decision of which color to choose would be easy based on experience with paint touch ups and repainting of body panels. My guess would be the silver would be easier than the red. Maybe they're all difficult?

The multicoat red is the most difficult. The solid white or solid black are the easiest. (Just had my Model S bumper replaced a few weeks ago because I was rear ended, and this is what the Tesla certified body shop said when I asked)

• Informative
Reactions: Microfrost
Two episodes of minor damage to the rear of our MC Red car required that the bumper area be painted twice and feathered into the rear fender area (three times, actually, due to bubbling once) and at none of the times was there any problem matching the red. It looked gorgeous each time.

I was surprised when speaking to the Tesla-certified body shop to learn that "multi-coat red" does NOT mean that there are multiple coats of red. The "multi" means that there's a clear, shimmering accent coat on top of the red, beneath the clear coat. IOW, "multi-coat" means multi coats, not multi coats of red.

Don't know specifically on the white Tesla uses, but do know white is not an easy match for most vehicles.

I was reading where metallics and pearls are difficult to match. Most of the anticipated M3 colors would appear to be metallics and 'pearl' like Pearl White. Only three of the colors are non-metallic or pearl (as in pearlescent?). Probably go for the m-c red and search for the best paint guy at a certified Tesla body shop.