Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest way to black out Tesla emblem (front and back)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my MSLR last week, and LOVING it so far! One thing I'd like to change about the car, though, is the chrome Tesla emblems (front and back). My car is black, and I like the blacked out door handles and general lack of chrome.

I had PPF put on my car this week, and I asked my PPF guy for the best way to black out the chrome emblems. He said most people just buy replacement emblems in matte black and have him remove the chrome and install the black.

Has anyone here done that already? Any advice on where to purchase matte black replacement emblems? I can't seem to find the right ones online. All I'm seeing is replacement emblems for Model Y or Model 3 cars...

Thanks!

Reactions: howdidIgethere
Hmmm my PPF guy wrapped my back emblem on black PPF. He was going to do the front too but I ended up keeping it chrome since the area behind that emblem is black. I thought about getting carbon fiber emblems to match the spoiler but I could only find them for Model 3/Y.

Hmmm my PPF guy wrapped my back emblem on black PPF. He was going to do the front too but I ended up keeping it chrome since the area behind that emblem is black. I thought about getting carbon fiber emblems to match the spoiler but I could only find them for Model 3/Y.
1646668539293.jpeg

I just used these vinyl covers. Easy on and off. Change colors whenever you want.

Can you apply Plasti-dip to the front emblem without removing it? (Removing it seems like a PITA.)
It IS a PITA - not so much the emblem(s) but the black goo that Tesla used to attach.

I didn't like the chrome on my grey car but now that I've got matte black ones it seems like they stand out even more.

So next I'll debadge the car. It's a beautiful design (2022 M3) made into a billboard?....Nah.

Im going to try this one for the rear badge on a refresh model. The factory badge is super thin and its going to be difficult for body shop to paint it while protecting that factory adhesive for application). This aftermarket badge is likely a 3d scan and then laser cut out of metal.. i wanted gloss back and they have that option along with other colors.. for the front i'm getting a factory unit and will have body shop spray it gloss black.

• Informative
Reactions: r3nd3r
Just to clarify, I’m voting against plastidip. I’ve seen too much peeling off cars I’ve seen.

A hair dryer on high heat and a bit of Teflon dental floss can remove any adhesive emblems, although as mentioned, you still have to wax off the goo.
I did about 7 coats and just drove my car from SF to Las Vegas and Back in 100+ deg heat while peppered by road debris and bugs. Looks good and nothing sticks to it.

Im going to try this one for the rear badge on a refresh model. The factory badge is super thin and its going to be difficult for body shop to paint it while protecting that factory adhesive for application). This aftermarket badge is likely a 3d scan and then laser cut out of metal.. i wanted gloss back and they have that option along with other colors.. for the front i'm getting a factory unit and will have body shop spray it gloss black.

why didnt you go for the front on their website?
i'm thinking of getting this for mine both front and rear.

still on the fence if I should get satin or glossy. what do you guys think looks better?

bcs their front badge is not complete badge just an applique to go over existing OEM chrome badge which would mean if you look hard enough you will see chrome on the sides.. front is easy to paint since it a bulky badge plus it bolts on so no need for double sided tape.. the rear OEM badge is stupid thin.. so aftermarket is only solution.. no body shop is gonna want to mess with it and i didnt want to go plasti-dip route.
why didnt you go for the front on their website?
i'm thinking of getting this for mine both front and rear.

still on the fence if I should get satin or glossy. what do you guys think looks better?