Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest way to get the number of kWh used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
What is the easiest way to get the number of kWh used to charge a car in a given month or period? I see TeslaFi costs $50 a year and no interest in paying that. A meter costs $30, but then it has to be read manually or get $100 cloud reader (possible).

Is there a way to get this information from the car? I looked and did not see. Maybe a script that will download from Tesla's API?

Last edited:
Broadly speaking, you can collect this data from the car or from your home's electrical system.

TeslaFi works via an API that Tesla makes available to owners. You could always use that directly; however, learning to do so and implementing the scripts you'd need to tally the numbers up does not qualify as "easy." As @RayCanuck says, there are alternatives to TeslaFi that may do the job. (I've never used any of them except TeslaFi and so can't comment on anything but TeslaFi.) These three options (using the API directly, TeslaFi, and apps that use the API) are the only ways I know of to get the data from the car, at least in a reliable/easy way. (I suppose you could monitor the charging screen in the car during each charge, but that would be ridiculously difficult, and you'd likely lose at least some data.)

On the delivery side, you've already mentioned a dedicated meter. That would be slightly more hassle than extracting it from TeslaFi or an app, and there's the hassle and expense of installing the meter. Another option is to use a WiFi-enabled EVSE with monitoring capabilities. JuiceNet (available on JuiceBox and a few other EVSEs), ChargePoint Home, and OpenEVSE EVSEs all offer this functionality. Personally, I own a Clipper Creek HCS-40 with JuiceNet board, so I'm familiar with what it can do. Its app provides an easy summary of individual charge sessions, but you'd need to manually sum the numbers (or write a script to pull down the data and summarize it). I don't know precisely what data ChargePoint Home or OpenEVSE provide, but I assume you can get energy-use data from them. Of course, buying one of these EVSEs would cost a lot (they start at ~$550), so they're worth considering only if you were thinking of installing a Tesla Wall Connector but haven't already done so. In that scenario, the extra cost might be worthwhile, but they will almost certainly cost more than a Tesla EVSE, especially if you want to keep a $95 Tesla J1772 adapter semi-permanently attached to the J1772 handle, rather than frequently plug and unplug the adapter that comes with the car or drive around without the adapter. There are also whole-house electrical monitoring systems that can track how much power you're consuming and even "learn" what's being used based on each device's patterns of usage. I don't know much about these products, though, beyond their existence; you can Google for more information as well as I can.

Soon after I got my Tesla, I compared what TeslaFi reported and what JuiceNet reported for my charging usage, and they tracked pretty closely -- but not identically. JuiceNet reported that I was using a little more power than the car said it received. (Note that TeslaFi breaks out both power used and power added figures, to track charging efficiency. I was comparing JuiceNet's numbers to TeslaFi's power used figures.) I suspect the difference was line losses in the EVSE's cable. The discrepancy is pretty small, but you might want to consider it -- an off-vehicle metering system will be a little more accurate than what the car reports, if you're concerned with the electricity you actually use.

Note that you can get a lot more out of TeslaFi (or other tools based on the Tesla API) than simply your home power use -- you can track charging sessions at public stations, monitor driving energy efficiency, collect statistics on software updates, etc. OTOH, there are privacy implications -- if you use TeslaFi, its server has data on precisely where your car is located at all times, for instance. A whole-home power-monitoring tool could also provide more data, but in a different way -- it could be useful for figuring out where your home electrical budget is going, and therefore enable you to target where to target electricity-saving procedures.

If your home is on Time of Use system and you charge your car at night, it is actually pretty easy to get it from your electrical bill. I looked at my usage before I get the Tesla at night (super off peak) which is very little. Now I know the baseline, I could just subtract that from the new one with Tesla charging. I also compare that with the Tesla onboard "lifetime" battery usage. I change one of the trip meter to "Lifetime" and never reset it. The number I get from electric bill is always higher than the car's. I think there are some lost in transferring the power... like 15%.

I always get a chuckle out of the guys who will spend $40 - >100K on a car but aren't willing to shell out $50 a year for a service like TeslaFi which essentially automates all your logging for you. That said, alternatives are systems that record the power consumed by particular circuits in one's house. I personally use eGauges as I am interested in keeping track of what my heating system is doing, total consumption, solar generation, power outages etc. It has a very handy web based interface from which one can conveniently get information such as total kWh used for charging in the third week of October or over any other time period of interest and what the average consumption of the car has been e.g. having a Tesla is equivalent to 4 100 W light bulbs on all the time..

The trip meter. Set a Trip called kWh used, reset it at the beginning of the period and read it at the end. Multiply the distance travelled with the Wh consumption and divide by 1000.

This will not count use while the car is in park (which may be considerable due to vampire and shore power heating or just pre-heating when not in the car), and it will not count charging losses.

I think the OP was trying to get a handle on electricity usage, not driving usage.

Using your suggestion, though: I don't worry about the exact numbers since I don't pay for charging, but on average using 6kW and 9.6kW charging (since I don't have to worry about pre-heating), I just use this formula to get a close estimate:

(Wh/mi (trip meter) * Miles/yr) *245Wh/rmi(charging)/230Wh/rmi (trip) / 0.93 + 300kWh/yr (vampire/other)

0.93 is the assumed charging efficiency (assuming you're talking about charging Wh) which is not too far off for 6-9kW charging - I've checked it, assuming that you are referencing to the 245Wh/mi constant being used on the charging screen.

The 245/230 ratio corrects for the miles consumed vs. miles added reported ratio using the appropriate "constants" (obviously the 230Wh/rmi is approximate but it's in the ballpark). You can say that the car gets 93% efficient charging (at 6kW) if you base it off of what the charging screen says, or you can say the car gets 87% efficient charging (93 * 230/245) if you want to convert directly from trip Wh to wall Wh.

It's probably not that far off. But again, I haven't really thought about it since I don't care, so I might be forgetting something.

The 300kWh/yr would go way up if you preheat your car a lot or use a lot of sentry, or whatever.

The charging efficiency can range from around 70% for 1.44kW charging to 94% or so for 11.5kW charging (again, referenced to the 245Wh/rmi number on the charging screen). These efficiency numbers can change for the worse if you park outside in a cold winter environment and the car has to warm the battery before charging, etc.

For all the apps and stuff, you'd have to be careful to make sure they're making the right assumptions about charging efficiency for your situation. I've found Stats can miss vampire drain if the car is not accessible for whatever reason (parking garage, etc.). So it just provides a lower bound for the vampire losses, and inherently they'll be approximate.

TeslaFi for whatever reason misreports kWh used from the battery (though it is scalable via configuration, I am not sure how well that works since the results are inconsistent). This claim can easily be checked by the user. I don't know what other features it offers for overall energy use tracking since I don't use it. I assume the charging events (which is all that matters) are accurately tracked, though I don't know, so the used kWh reporting issue doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
I always get a chuckle out of the guys who will spend $40 - >100K on a car but aren't willing to shell out $50 a year for a service like TeslaFi which essentially automates all your logging for you.

Partly I'm concerned about giving out the Tesla password. It is a very bad idea for someone to offer a service that stores your password in plain text that gives access to your car.

Keep in mind that a company like Tesla w/ millions to spend on IT security does not store passwords. The email+password combo is 100% sufficient to steal the car, as it provides the car's location and speed/gear, authorizes a key, etc. Its only a matter of time before someone does this on a large scale.

Tesla should by no means allow an application like this, while on the other hand they should be providing a legitimate way to accomplish these things, and to provide these services themselves.

Reactions: go2realize
The email+password combo is 100% sufficient to steal the car, as it provides the car's location and speed/gear, authorizes a key, etc. Its only a matter of time before someone does this on a large scale.
I'll let someone who understands the token thing address the intrinsic security of TeslaFi but no, email+password is not sufficient to steal the car. And if someone steals it it can be tracked and if that fails for some reason I have insurance.

I'd say a much bigger risk is walking about a shopping mall with your fob in your pocket - but then this is the 3 forum and I guess they don't have fobs.

Anyway, if you don't want to use TeslaFi for whatever reason use an energy monitoring system as suggested,

Reactions: go2realize
This will not count use while the car is in park (which may be considerable due to vampire and shore power heating or just pre-heating when not in the car), and it will not count charging losses.

I think the OP was trying to get a handle on electricity usage, not driving usage.

Yeah, its an odd situation. Certain persons complain about providing free electricity, but they don't exactly really care. We estimate $30 a month, but the situation arises that I "waste" electricity on excess heating/cooling/trips/driving to nowhere. Not really a problem, but if it were somewhere on the dashboard that would be great.

You'd think a car like Tesla would have a kWh used meter just like it shows the number of miles. Not 100% trivial, but I just wanted to be sure it didn't have one.

I'll let someone who understands the token thing address the intrinsic security of TeslaFi but no, email+password is not sufficient to steal the car. And if someone steals it it can be tracked and if that fails for some reason I have insurance.

Well, looks like they use Oauth, but do they store username/password in plain text - I guess not? Nevertheless, the Oauth token is possibly sufficent to steal the car, though not sure if it can remove PIN to drive.

I don't want to write a "how to steal a Tesla" post, but username/password is more than sufficient. Do you know of any additional authentications? The pin code can be removed with Tesla logins. LTE and Wifi can be jammed with a $20 device.

I don't care if insurance pays for it - we expect much more from companies like Google and Facebook who are only safegaurding privacy of information.

Last edited:
You'd think a car like Tesla would have a kWh used meter just like it shows the number of miles. Not 100% trivial, but I just wanted to be sure it didn't have one.

Yeah, definitely no kWh usage meter that tracks all use.

If you can use the API to keep an accurate track of ALL of your rated miles used, you could do the conversions from there. You'd still have the issue that you'd have to be careful to not use shore power to preheat the car - you'd have to be careful to not lose track of that use, which would not show up as rated miles use. It probably is possible to track such events with the API as well; I'm pretty sure the info about AC amps and AC voltages is available through the API. I don't use it so I don't know what the best strategy is for tracking this stuff. You could also just track charging events, but not sure if all the information is available there or not (I don't think integrated AC kWh is tracked - only the DC kWh added. So you'd have to integrate the AC V*A yourself probably.)

But this all blows apart if you end up in a situation without cellular access - the car becomes inaccessible and you could lose data.

What is the easiest way to get the number of kWh used to charge a car in a given month or period? I see TeslaFi costs $50 a year and no interest in paying that. A meter costs $30, but then it has to be read manually or get $100 cloud reader (possible).

Is there a way to get this information from the car? I looked and did not see. Maybe a script that will download from Tesla's API?

I am fortunate enough that i have a separate electric meter for charging, so all I need to do is to read my meter or look at my electric bill. That way i get the total energy used, including losses (but excluding any energy from charging elsewhere, from SuperChargers, etc.). Depending upon how your house is wired and where your car plugs in, it might be feasible to ask your utility to supply a separate meter for the car charging. But you would have other costs for your electrician to rearrange your wiring to separate the car charging from the house loads, which might cost you more than you'd want to spend. But it is an option....

He asked for the simplest and didn't want to spend 50$. This is the simplest and most accurate way without paying anything and the car provides it.

If he watches my video and follows my advices he will have a maximum of 0.5-1kWh a day vampire drain provided the car sits there for 24hours. So that is roughly 30kWh or around 5$ or so which he can add to the calculations.

Not really a problem, but if it were somewhere on the dashboard that would be great.
It does have one, like I said. If you set the trip meter to the way I suggested you will have your numbers. Just either keep track of the vampire drain (roughly) or follow my post on how to keep it under 0.5% a day and just calculate with 20-30kWh per month vampire drain.

So that is roughly 30kWh or around 5$ or so which he can add to the calculations.

Sure. Which is what I said.

This is the simplest and most accurate way

Not quite accurate though...assuming he wanted wall kWh. You need to at least discuss that factor when talking about this - as it makes a minimum of about 12% difference vs. the trip meter.

There is nothing wrong with the trip meter method you suggested, as a general strategy for tracking usage, as long as the limitations and the corrections to make are well understood. I say this because there historically has been confusion from users here trying to align their power bills to what the car meter says. So good to get it all out up front!

Sure. Which is what I said.

Not quite accurate though...assuming he wanted wall kWh. You need to at least discuss that factor when talking about this - as it makes a minimum of about 12% difference vs. the trip meter.
Well, if you don't wanna spend a dime, this is the only way...
There is no way for the car to know that since the car doesn't really know what cable is being used and what the heat loss is at this moment. And as far as I understood, the kWh used will be enough for him. Plus you have to substract all the supercharger sessions or external sessions.
As for heat loss while charging - if he is charging at home all the time,just add 15% and you will be fine.

Well, if you don't wanna spend a dime, this is the only way...

Agreed.

And as far as I understood, the kWh used will be enough for him.

Plus you have to substract all the supercharger sessions or external sessions.

The OP was talking about tracking his home use, and specifically suggested a meter + Cloud reader as one option. He was curious about what was available via the API without using the various apps. I think, to summarize, as far as the "from the car" question goes, his options are:

1) Use your method of a trip meter with appropriate corrections above to get an approximate method of tracking usage. Nothing extra needed, works reasonably well. You can relatively easily calibrate using the reading from your main meter, subtracting a constant baseline (gotta be careful!), to figure out the exact correction factor to use, in most circumstances.

2) Use the API with arbitrary levels of complexity to check car location & charging activity, categorize the charging activity based on location, apply appropriate formulas to approximate wall energy usage, etc. This can be done with his own software if he wants - it's clearly possible since the 3rd party apps do it.

But yes, in the end, both these methods will be approximate. The meter on the charging equipment is the only "exact" way (and even with that you'd have to add in your wiring losses after your meter base but before the dedicated meter, if you REALLY cared).

It does have one, like I said. If you set the trip meter to the way I suggested you will have your numbers. Just either keep track of the vampire drain (roughly) or follow my post on how to keep it under 0.5% a day and just calculate with 20-30kWh per month vampire drain.

I somehow missed that post due to the lengthy math post after it. Sounds like it would work well.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life