Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest way to preheat car when out of cell range?

riles246

Aug 30, 2019
NY State
This is probably a simple question, but today it dawned on me that my pre-heating routine is probably silly.

I live in a cell phone dead zone; no coverage from any of the four carriers. I have boosters and wifi calling for my phones so I don't care, but the car does not communicate with servers at my house except on wifi. Complicating matters is that I get free charging at work, so I never plug my car in at home (so the wifi turns off when the car turns off).

As it stands, the way I preheat my car now is to walk out in the garage 5-10 minutes before I leave, open the door, then leave it a little ajar. When I return 10 minutes later, the seat, steering wheel, and cabin are toasty warm.

However, is there a better way? Perhaps somehow to wake the car from the fob?

I'll admit- it takes 15 seconds to do this routine so this isn't a huge inconvenience, but just wondering.

Thanks!

TechVP

Active Poster
Nov 12, 2016
Corvallis, OR
I am curious if others agree if Smart Preconditioning helps here? Tesla documentation seems overly light on what Smart Preconditioning actually does.
My Model X manual says (and Model S is similar):
Smart Preconditioning: If on, Model X learns your driving schedule and automatically prepares your vehicle to drive. This minimizes the pause that you may experience as Model X powers up. Note: Smart Preconditioning operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20% .

-TechVP

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
I am curious if others agree if Smart Preconditioning helps here? Tesla documentation seems overly light on what Smart Preconditioning actually does.
My Model X manual says (and Model S is similar):
Smart Preconditioning: If on, Model X learns your driving schedule and automatically prepares your vehicle to drive. This minimizes the pause that you may experience as Model X powers up. Note: Smart Preconditioning operates only when the energy remaining in the Battery is above 20% .

-TechVP
Smart preconditioning is gone with 2019.36. Replaced with actual scheduling. Catch is it’s the same time every weekday, unless you reset it each day.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

riles246

Aug 30, 2019
NY State
Thanks guys. Maybe due to deep sleep, but for me, WiFi only works if the car is on, or if the car is plugged in (I once went away for a week and left it plugged in the whole time and I was able to interact with it the whole time).

I might try smart preconditioning, though I’m skeptical since I tend to leave the house at different times every day, and my schedule isn’t the same week over week.

I wonder if disabling deep sleep would help, might need to try that.

Someone mentioned teslafi- would that keep the car from disconnecting from WiFi?

I’m reluctant to plug in at night because my electric costs are so high I’d hate for the car to accidentally charge, or phantom draw.

Appreciate the tips!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC