Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easiest way to tell a Y from a 3 if they are not next to each other?

Alexgd

Dec 10, 2018
Alexandria, VA
If a Y and a 3 are next to each other it is easy to spot the differences. But how do I easily distinguish a Y from a 3 when the car is not next to another Tesla? We have a 3.

greenrider

Aug 6, 2020
San Francisco
For whatever reason, I find it easiest to look at the rear.

* In a Model 3, the license plate is right up against the trunk opening. The rear glass also "stops" well above the trunk
* In a Model Y, the license plate has a bunch of room underneath it. The rear glass stretches much further back, since it's a hatch not a trunk

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 2.07.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 2.07.57 PM.png
    444 KB · Views: 40

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Clear Lake TX.
I have a problem at a glance confusing the Y to a model X. Especially a black or red color. To me, the best giveaway to any tesla is the rims. Once I spot the rims, I can tell what model it is.

Reactions: Alexgd

Alexgd

Dec 10, 2018
Alexandria, VA

* In a Model 3, the license plate is right up against the trunk opening. The rear glass also "stops" well above the trunk
* In a Model Y, the license plate has a bunch of room underneath it. The rear glass stretches much further back, since it's a hatch not a trunk
Thanks for attaching the annotated pix!

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Most Model 3 vehicles have chrome door handles. If the vehicle is parked I check the wheels. Model 3 wheels and aero covers don't look like either the Model Y 20" Induction wheels or the 19" wheels with the Gemini covers.

I've only seen one or two Performance Model Y (PMY) vehicles. The easiest way to spot a PMY is the spoiler. If you can get close enough to see there is a red stripe beneath the Dual Motor badge. At a distance the PMY 21" Uberturbine wheels don't look all that different from the 20" Induction wheels offered as an option on the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y (Standard Range Model Y too.)

Reactions: Alexgd

cYnbios

Jan 20, 2021
Orange County, CA

This is a wonderful annotation but you're missing the most prominent differences; and that is the black hitch trim at the bottom. That's the easiest way to tell both from the rear.

To tell the apart from the sides, Model Y has black trim around the fenders and black trim side skirt.

The front is a bit trickier but the Model Y doesn't have a lower lip that looks like a "front lip spoiler".

Pic below for both of those mentioned above:
1617403034713.png

Exelion

Feb 21, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
From easiest to more difficult:

If it has silver trim, its a 3.

If it has black wheel arches (rocker panels) its a Y

if it has long side mirrors, its a 3,
short, tall side mirrors, its a Y

if it has aero, or sport wheels its a 3.
Gemini (Tesla calls them Apollo) or Induction wheels, its a Y. Hard to tell when in motion though.

If the trunk opening line is low, its a 3
Y has a higher sitting trunk opening line.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Alexgd and Darmie

ArtK

Jun 1, 2020
NYS
When I a driving behind or beside another Tesla, the rear hitch hatch and trim color help me instantly figure out what I'm looking at.

X-Chris

Nov 21, 2020
VA
From behind, the Y has space between the license plate and the bottom of the trunk, the 3 does not:

Model 3.png

Model y.png

The S and X can be distinguished from each other the same way.

The S and X can be distinguished from the 3/Y in many ways, but the most obvious to me is the recessed part of the rear trunk/hatch (where the license plate is installed):

Model S.png

Model X.png

Reactions: ArtK

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC