Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Easing into the new mental state of the Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Close to 9 months now with the Tesla, here are some funny conversations and musings from my wife (It's her car) that made me smile and laugh and wonder if these are things that other couples have experienced going abruptly from ICE to EV.

"What's wrong? You're kind of quiet"
"I drove the 4Runner today"
"When you went shopping?"
"Yes"
So? What's wrong?"
"I don't know. I felt guilty, like I was ruining the environment"

---

"I've got a bunch of errands to run today"
"I forgot to plug the car in last night, let me add some charge"
*looking at her phone app*, "It's at 26%, that's PLENTY! I'm only going to 4 or 5 places"
(When we first got the car, if it wasn't at least 85% charge she was CERTAIN she would get stranded LoL!)

---

*While I'm driving*

"You're not very good at regenerative braking. You need to practice more"

---

"Loud sports cars don't scare me anymore"

---

*a friend in the car*

"The roof is glass. Aren't you afraid of what will happen if it rolls over?"
"It has a much lower chance of rolling over than almost any other car because the batteries are on the bottom and they're heavy. It's like a weeble that wobbles but doesn't fall down"
"oh"
"I'm actually more afraid of a piano on a crane falling on the car"

---

*she's driving*

"I need my purse"
"I'll get it..."
"No, I've got it..."

*Puts the Tesla into ACC and turns around to get purse out of the back seat*

---

*walking to the car from the grocery store, suddenly holding her Apple Watch up*

"Hey Siri, open the trunk"

*Trunk opens as we walk up*

"When did you set that up?!"
"It's an app, I set it up a long time ago, why?"

---

"Another woman in book club just got a Tesla"
"That's great"
"It's only a standard range though, no one else has a Performance" (I spied a hint of bravado in her voice, LoL!)

---

"It takes longer to charge from 85 to 90% than it does to charge from 20 to 80%"
"I told you that a LONG time ago!"
"Yes, but I understand it now so now it's right"
"?"

So many more LoL!

Untitled design (3).png

(Admin note: Image added for the Blog)

Part of the reason I drive a Tesla (and drove a Chevy Volt for several years before it) is so I can take my 80 series land cruiser out on the weekends and feel less guilty about 13mpg :eek:

We bought panels at a solar farm (gimmick?), but if the M3 weren't my work/client car, I'd be awfully tempted to get one of these for the bumper:

Powered-By-Coal-Funny-Novelty-Car-Sticker-For-Truck-SUV-Window-Bumper-Kayak-Vinyl-Decal-8.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting fact, Most of the people that I know, specially from work that knows that I bought a Tesla always have the same questions/comments.

1. How much are you saving in Gas.
2. I don't believe this will save the planet
3. I don't believe in EV.
4. Oh oh How long does it take to charge to 100%
5. It will take forever in a long trip from point A to point B.
6. Oh the last one....You voted for uncle Joe right? LoL....
My answer, "Love the car & the technology in it, the first time I drove an EV was in a event for the Nissan Leaf back in 2011 and none of last two guys were even on the radar,....so next question."

Maybe this is just a humorous off the cuff statement, but Tesla's are not fully carbon neutral. I consume about 12000kwh a year in my Tesla (we drive it about 40k miles per year) and according to this calculator Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator | US EPA it equals about 5.2 metric tons of carbon. No I don't have a solar array to charge my Tesla, I use my local power company with a level 2 home charger and most of the fuel source from Florida Power and Light is from Natural Gas. So, my Tesla is actually powered by Natural Gas. :cool:
For now - but as power companies build out more wind and solar because natural gas prices doubled from Ykraine crisis, it will even out