Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Bay Service Center on its way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car serviced at the brand new San Francisco service center this weekend (didn't even know it existed), and the service rep, seeing I was in from Oakland, told me that the East Bay was on tap for its own service center soon. I asked where, and he said either Oakland or Emeryville. No timeline.

After dealing with Dublin, San Rafael, and now SF at various times, I'm really looking forward to having one in my backyard.

I wonder if it'll also have a store!

Had my car serviced at the brand new San Francisco service center this weekend (didn't even know it existed), and the service rep, seeing I was in from Oakland, told me that the East Bay was on tap for its own service center soon. I asked where, and he said either Oakland or Emeryville. No timeline.

After dealing with Dublin, San Rafael, and now SF at various times, I'm really looking forward to having one in my backyard.

I wonder if it'll also have a store!

Oakland had been rumored for a while....

Hmm.... I find this hard to believe. Oakland's auto row is turning upscale very fast, but with stuff other than car shops. Maybe they are going to be like Starbucks, opening a store next to the competition, i.e. next to the BMW or Mercedes dealer. Emeryville/Oakland San Pablo Ave has possibilities. I just don't see the area matching Tesla's persona.

All that said, I would like to know how many Model 3 reservations are in Oakland/Berkeley. I bet a LOT. And once they are out I imagine they will sell well.

I have Berkeley friends and acquaintances who speak of Tesla owners with some disdain. Anger towards gentrification and displacement is strong. If Tesla is going to have an Oakland presence, I hope it will know how to fit into the diverse and multi-cultural nature of the place.
The protests and property damage are still recent in my mind.

Berkeley is crawling with Teslas. There are at least 4 within walking distance from my house, parked where you can see them.

There's a section of Spruce St. that used to have a late-model Bentley parked amidst the 70s Volvo wagons. Berkeley is very diverse and most of us have learned how to live next to each other over the years.

P.S. An East Bay service center would be fantastic. Even in Berkeley!

Last edited:
If Tesla is going to have an Oakland presence, I hope it will know how to fit into the diverse and multi-cultural nature of the place.
I am unclear on what you expect Tesla to do differently in Oakland with a Service Center compared to what it has done elsewhere. Based on what I've seen in Tesla showrooms in Northern California, Tesla has a diverse workforce.

• Love
Reactions: Owner
Any additional service centers for the Bay Area are welcome, especially in underserved spots (although what spot in the bay isn't underserved?) like the East Bay...

The problem Tesla has is finding acceptable locations as they'd much rather take over an existing location with minimal transition costs, over buying land and building a completely new facility...

Jeff

Why? There really isn't a need for one and if Tesla did build one, it'd be abused and overrun by locals which defeats the purpose of it to begin with.

The only reason I can think of (and this is admittedly a bit tenuous) is to fill in a bit between Dublin, Vacaville, and Petaluma. But I agree with you that this would likely become a favorite local hangout, just like Dublin just down the road. :-(

Bruce.

PS. Am I the only person who finds the idea of an "East Bay Service Center" kind of odd-sounding? Dublin and Fremont are both East Bay, at least in my view of the world.

The only reason I can think of (and this is admittedly a bit tenuous) is to fill in a bit between Dublin, Vacaville, and Petaluma. But I agree with you that this would likely become a favorite local hangout, just like Dublin just down the road. :-(

Bruce.

PS. Am I the only person who finds the idea of an "East Bay Service Center" kind of odd-sounding? Dublin and Fremont are both East Bay, at least in my view of the world.
Instead of Walnut Creek, perhaps Richmond / El Cerrito area, maybe at the 80 end of Cutting Blvd? Seems like there's a bit of a gap there.

Growing up in the Bay Area, I always considered Fremont as being more South Bay than East Bay. East Bay was Emeryville through Hayward along 880 (then 17). Dublin and the 680 corridor were "East Bay" as much as Reno and Chicago are. Not sure when they got annexed into the Bay Area...

Hmm.... I find this hard to believe. Oakland's auto row is turning upscale very fast, but with stuff other than car shops. Maybe they are going to be like Starbucks, opening a store next to the competition, i.e. next to the BMW or Mercedes dealer. Emeryville/Oakland San Pablo Ave has possibilities. I just don't see the area matching Tesla's persona. All that said, I would like to know how many Model 3 reservations are in Oakland/Berkeley. I bet a LOT. And once they are out I imagine they will sell well.

I have Berkeley friends and acquaintances who speak of Tesla owners with some disdain. Anger towards gentrification and displacement is strong. If Tesla is going to have an Oakland presence, I hope it will know how to fit into the diverse and multi-cultural nature of the place. The protests and property damage are still recent in my mind.

Any additional service centers for the Bay Area are welcome, especially in underserved spots (although what spot in the bay isn't underserved?) like the East Bay...

The problem Tesla has is finding acceptable locations as they'd much rather take over an existing location with minimal transition costs, over buying land and building a completely new facility...

Jeff

The truth ... Multicultural Underserved communities, the most overused PC phrase in our language. :cool:

A Service Center in the Berkeley/Emeryville area would be great. People there would rather not cross a bridge or go through a tunnel with all the related traffic if they can avoid it to get service. It is such a big freeway hub for people coming and going along I80. I580, 24 etc. it would be a good target for a SuperCharger too. With the gap from Fremont to Vacaville, Napa or Petaluma, makes sense if you are not planning to go that far and need a charge. Plenty of heavy traffic there so a great spot to pull over and unwind as you charge.

A Service Center in the Berkeley/Emeryville area would be great. People there would rather not cross a bridge or go through a tunnel with all the related traffic if they can avoid it to get service. It is such a big freeway hub for people coming and going along I80. I580, 24 etc. it would be a good target for a SuperCharger too. With the gap from Fremont to Vacaville, Napa or Petaluma, makes sense if you are not planning to go that far and need a charge. Plenty of heavy traffic there so a great spot to pull over and unwind as you charge.

I'm all for more service centers in the SF Bay area, no doubt. That location would be outstanding as a central hub spot if Tesla can find a large enough location. So far as the supercharger goes though... It'll be unusable once the locals get wind of it... As a stock holder I'm not terribly fond of funding peoples need to abuse the system and mooch off of Tesla for free electricity...

Jeff

@jeffro01 Ya, too bad the idea of trusting owners to not abuse the SuperCharger system isn't working out. Where is common courtesy? What kills me is an owner who plugs in his car and gets in another car and drives away. Tesla has addressed it at a couple of SuperChargers, i.e. Mountain View and San Mateo. On the other hand we have Dublin where even the Tesla Service Center abuses it by leaving new cars on the SCs overnight before delivery. C'mon, really?

Sorry to digress. I'll shut up on this thread. Please check out this thread if you want more of this info.
Which slot to choose at stations. Supercharging etiquette.

Thanks,