Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Model 3 Delivery Delays (or just me)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was scheduled to pickup my Model 3 at Dedham on June 2nd. I was just told today that there have been delays in transit and my delivery is now pushed back by 10 days. I was wondering if there are overall delivery issues with cars heading to the east coast, New England, or Dedham — anyone else scheduled for pickup soon get delayed?

Absolutely agree that there is many possibilities for shipping delays as cars get transition (from carrier, to train, etc). And, not any fault of Tesla in many of these cases. Was just curious if anyone else is in same situation (if there was a large shipper issue somewhere between there and here). 10 day delay, though, does feel a bit harsh for a simple slowdown in only one link in a delivery chain. Makes me wonder if the delay was more leaving Fremont than anything in the middle.

Have not heard of delays, but transporting seems to take a long time. I had my vin May 10th. Was originally told delivery would be June 4 which was moved back to June 7. Now being told that the car will be arriving at ny around June 7 which means further delays. Not sure why it would take a month from vin assignment to arrival. Ordered April 10th, so looking at about 9 weeks to delivery, possibly longer as there is a potential issue with the car that needs to be investigated when it arrives at the delivery center. Still patiently waiting, but the waiting gets harder the closer you get.

I am just hoping that I am still taking delivery before the MA EV rebate money runs out (it’s getting awfully close). Otherwise, I am pretty patient. Although, a bit of disappointment because my original delivery date was 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days after I reserved which seemed serendipitous. 2 years, 2 months, 12 days — not so much. :)

@WhiteMountains I hear you.. I had delays as well. Also had an inexperienced and not-terribly-responsive sales advisor. But, I can tell you - all that angst goes away the moment you sit in it for the first time. It's a hassle living in our state because we don't have a Tesla store.

My guy didn't even tell me that I was going to get a Certificate of Origination FedEx'd to me - and my credit union guy didn't tell me I needed to give them one. Almost ended up running out of time on my temporary plates!

Reactions: dhrivnak
I’m still patient. It will be ready when it is ready. I am glad that I spent some time looking at peoples posts and realized that delivery was sometimes 8 or 9 weeks instead of the 4-6 weeks originally stated. That set up more realistic expectations. My only issue so far is that I made the mistake of telling my car insurance company to switch over the policy too soon. My insurance on my current car will run out in a couple of weeks and that may turn out to be too soon. I may have to go back to them for some kind of adjustment.

I am just hoping that I am still taking delivery before the MA EV rebate money runs out (it’s getting awfully close). Otherwise, I am pretty patient. Although, a bit of disappointment because my original delivery date was 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days after I reserved which seemed serendipitous. 2 years, 2 months, 12 days — not so much. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the MA EV credit money running out, they've been pretty diligent about replacing it when it gets low. It was last replenished a few months ago when it was significantly under $1M. The money is typically funneled from RGGI (Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative) auctions, which take place quarterly. I wouldn't be shocked to see another infusion in July if the funds are low enough.

I’m still patient. It will be ready when it is ready. I am glad that I spent some time looking at peoples posts and realized that delivery was sometimes 8 or 9 weeks instead of the 4-6 weeks originally stated. That set up more realistic expectations. My only issue so far is that I made the mistake of telling my car insurance company to switch over the policy too soon. My insurance on my current car will run out in a couple of weeks and that may turn out to be too soon. I may have to go back to them for some kind of adjustment.
Ahh, Thanks! Saved my bacon. This reminded me I needed to call USAA and change the policy effective date for my Model 3 to the updated (delayed) delivery date.

I wouldn't worry too much about the MA EV credit money running out, they've been pretty diligent about replacing it when it gets low. It was last replenished a few months ago when it was significantly under $1M. The money is typically funneled from RGGI (Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative) auctions, which take place quarterly. I wouldn't be shocked to see another infusion in July if the funds are low enough.
Oh that is good to know. I only started looking at this credit with the Model 3 purchase, since this will be the first time I have to care about it.

Oh that is good to know. I only started looking at this credit with the Model 3 purchase, since this will be the first time I have to care about it.
I would expect the 1.3M to at least last through July if not longer. but as Bokonon mentioned they so far have been very diligent about keeping it funded. I've seen it get down below $300,000 a couple of times over the last few years.

I got an update from the ISA:
“your vehicle is in transit to our main compound. From there, it will be sent up to the Northeast.”

This seems to me that, if I assume the “main compound” is in California, my car (which had original delivery date of June 2) never left California.

Last week I was told it should be in Dedham June 10. Today I am told June 11. I hope that my (now) June 12 delivery holds firm.

I got an update from the ISA:
“your vehicle is in transit to our main compound. From there, it will be sent up to the Northeast.”

This seems to me that, if I assume the “main compound” is in California, my car (which had original delivery date of June 2) never left California.

Last week I was told it should be in Dedham June 10. Today I am told June 11. I hope that my (now) June 12 delivery holds firm.

Weird, I wonder what could be holding it up at the factory. I would understand if it was some shipping issue but delayed at the factory makes me think they were fixing something on the car. My car is hopefully still on it's way to Dedham, I have not heard otherwise but my luck I'll get a call Monday morning telling me it's been delayed or something.

I was scheduled for and took delivery from Mt Kisco, NY on June 2nd and the car arrived that morning! They intially cancelled my appointment because as of Friday the car didn’t arrive. I was told there was a delivery truck that broke down but luckily my car wasn’t on it.

Reactions: colinrego
Colinrego, my understanding is that there is a “hub” in Alabama that all cars going to the east coast stop at. That is probably what they are referring to.

Jtpassat, interesting that you took delivery on the day that the car arrived. I am scheduled to take delivery on Thursday, but the car has not arrived yet to my knowledge. I thought they generally needed a day or two before delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: colinrego
they had a lot of cancellations for sat because of car delays so I was able to get them to do a quick turnaround. I also told them to not detail the car which helped.

And you’re right about alabama. They transport via train all cars going to the east coast to Alabama. Then truck carriers to final destination. That train is slowww cause my car took about 3 weeks to make it to Alabama from CA.
Colinrego, my understanding is that there is a “hub” in Alabama that all cars going to the east coast stop at. That is probably what they are referring to.

Jtpassat, interesting that you took delivery on the day that the car arrived. I am scheduled to take delivery on Thursday, but the car has not arrived yet to my knowledge. I thought they generally needed a day or two before delivery.

they had a lot of cancellations for sat because of car delays so I was able to get them to do a quick turnaround. I also told them to not detail the car which helped.

And you’re right about alabama. They transport via train all cars going to the east coast to Alabama. Then truck carriers to final destination. That train is slowww cause my car took about 3 weeks to make it to Alabama from CA.

I'm getting mine 2.5 weeks after being contacted, and when I first asked about it they said it was still being assembled which to me means it didn't leave the factory until after my initial contact. If that's true, they are saying it takes ~2 weeks to get from west to east coast. Not sure what to believe from the advisors though.

I was told the same story, VIN generated on 5/19 but the car wasn't out of factory yet. I was told it didn't arrive in Alabama until 5/30 which is exactly 3 weeks after! Then the whole - we're looking for a truck to put it in so it may not arrive in NY in time. That last week of delivery is a stressful time :)

I'm getting mine 2.5 weeks after being contacted, and when I first asked about it they said it was still being assembled which to me means it didn't leave the factory until after my initial contact. If that's true, they are saying it takes ~2 weeks to get from west to east coast. Not sure what to believe from the advisors though.