Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East coast road trip - Florida pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, looking for some top-tips or any handy/local knowledge for my upcoming collection and road trip. I decided that I’ll fly-in and pick up my new (used) Tesla from Orlando and drive it back to MD. First Tesla for me and thought what better way to get to know the car. Should be picking up in about 10 days.
Whilst there looks to be good support on the supercharger network, I suspect that not all locations are equal and there may be some hidden gems out there to make the stops more interesting.

I’ll be breaking up the journey with a day or so in New Bern on the way and I’d be more than happy avoiding the drudgery of the 95 for some of the journey.

I expect there may be existing threads I may have missed, so please point them out as necessary.

Thanks in advance

Not a tip related to your travel, but make absolutely positively 100% certain with no doubt left in your mind whatsoever that your car is actually there and ready to go.

Given that you're flying to your car, it's highly likely you know it's there, but just on the off-chance that it's coming from somewhere else, there have been folks who have arrived by air only to discover the car was 200mi away at some other service center and won't make it it for another [x] days.

That said, you should have a great trip and it's a wonderful way to get acquainted with the car! What is it? What color? Congratulations!

Not a tip related to your travel, but make absolutely positively 100% certain with no doubt left in your mind whatsoever that your car is actually there and ready to go.

Given that you're flying to your car, it's highly likely you know it's there, but just on the off-chance that it's coming from somewhere else, there have been folks who have arrived by air only to discover the car was 200mi away at some other service center and won't make it it for another [x] days.

That said, you should have a great trip and it's a wonderful way to get acquainted with the car! What is it? What color? Congratulations!
Thanks Cirrus,
I’m picking up a used, late 2014, Model S P85D in dark metallic blue with only 17k miles on it, not sure why the previous owner used it so little! It’s already at the Florida location, so should be all good to go in that respect. Can’t wait to get it, fingers crossed the weather cooperates for the journey.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
@Skadoosh!

What model did you get? And does it have AP?

I live about 10 minutes from the Savannah, GA supercharger, and would be glad to meet you there and show you a few tips/tricks - of course depending on what time it is.

EDIT: Well, just finished reading the thread and see you are getting a 2014 Model S. Nice. We're almost twins. :D

Look at some of the travel threads on TMC. You can use a trip planner like ABetterRoutePlanner to get a very good idea of how your trip will work. Charge only enough to make it to your destination with maybe 15% charge left. Charging above 80% or so is much slower than below that. OK if you're still eating dinner, but not if you're sitting in the car waiting. The in-car nav is good, but it likes to minimize the number of stops. I prefer to follow the ABRP plan, with shorter drives and much shorter charge stops.

If you will be stopping overnight, stay at a hotel with a destination charger. This will allow you to leave in the morning with a full charge without spending any time at a supercharger.

Last edited:
Hello all, looking for some top-tips or any handy/local knowledge for my upcoming collection and road trip. I decided that I’ll fly-in and pick up my new (used) Tesla from Orlando and drive it back to MD. First Tesla for me and thought what better way to get to know the car. Should be picking up in about 10 days.
Whilst there looks to be good support on the supercharger network, I suspect that not all locations are equal and there may be some hidden gems out there to make the stops more interesting.

I’ll be breaking up the journey with a day or so in New Bern on the way and I’d be more than happy avoiding the drudgery of the 95 for some of the journey.

I expect there may be existing threads I may have missed, so please point them out as necessary.

Thanks in advance
I live in Florida..picked up my cpo in NY....had zero issues charging on my way back to Orlando...plenty of SC off i-95

Thanks all, I’ve been having a good look at the route and am not too worried about the charging availability, it looks pretty good for what I have planned and doubt I’ll stretch anything on the range until I’m more familiar with my true mileage. I was hoping someone would tell me that there’s some awesome eats or a great coffee shop just a mile or two from a supercharger if you know where to go, I do like to try local places when I’m traveling.

New Bern doesn’t have any super chargers, but it does have a couple of other chargers in town, so hopefully I’ll use them when out for dinner! I’ll check on my hotel for good measure and I will be sure to make the supercharging is enabled and ready to go before I set off.

Think I need to check on charger etiquette in case I show up somewhere and they are all in use, particularly around hotels.