Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Supercharger Closures for Dorian

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
I saw a thread on a FB group and went out and looked in my car - sometime this afternoon virtually all of the Superchargers south of Virginia along the eastern seaboard were swicthed to "temporary closure."

IMG_3081.JPG

Not sure if they are actually out of service, or just in areas under evacuation orders and Tesla wanted to stop routings to them...

I was surprised I didn't see a thread about this already, so I thought I'd start one. Can't have FB having all the fun...

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
I heard that Tesla was keeping the Superchargers on the evacuation routes open. Was providing free Supercharging and discontinued maximum time of charging. Also unlocked any cars in the region with Software restricted range.
Not sure why they would close any Superchargers unless directed to by local governments.

Two of the superchargers in Florida that were on our way from Georgia that we stopped at (Lake City, FL and Ocala, FL) were working just fine even though Tesla was routing around them because of "temporarily closure". That confused hell out of us.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Yes, I’m sure this was a software bug. This morning they were no longer showing up as closed. It would be nice if Tesla would communicate better about these issues.

I doubt it was a bug - it affected everything in the storm's path and nothing else, so I'm pretty sure it was a deliberate choice on Tesla's part.

I can speculate on the reasons, but since Tesla hasn't managed to communicate anything about this at all, it would just be me speculating.

The reason I think it was a bug is precisely because it affected all the superchargers in the storms path. We know they pushed something out because Elon indicated they were providing some specific support to customers impacted by the storm. It makes no sense that they would close superchargers north of Miami all the way up to the NC/VA border when the storm hadn’t even affected SC yet.

The reason I think it was a bug is precisely because it affected all the superchargers in the storms path. We know they pushed something out because Elon indicated they were providing some specific support to customers impacted by the storm. It makes no sense that they would close superchargers north of Miami all the way up to the NC/VA border when the storm hadn’t even affected SC yet.

Unless they decided that "closing" them while actually leaving them fully functional was the best way to ensure they were available for folks evacuating for the hurricane.

The only problem with that theory is that cars that are evacuating probably won't route through them either because they think they are closed.

But Tesla does all the routing on a server in California when the cars have connectivity, so maybe they had an exception in place based on where the car came from...