Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Supercharging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you know, seeing the tall white vinyl privacy fences in these photos makes me wonder why they proposed some ugly ass wooden thing to Edison NJ which got rejected due to it being an "eye sore". They should have just gone with the white vinyl privacy fence in the first proposal then we wouldn't have this delay....

The white vinyl fence might clash being so close to the McDonald's dumpster so close by. Also, the Tattoo location close by might object that a plain white fence might be offensive to their clientele.

The white vinyl fence might clash being so close to the McDonald's dumpster so close by. Also, the Tattoo location close by might object that a plain white fence might be offensive to their clientele.

they could just create and slap on one of those view filter things so that it changes based on the direction you are looking at it. From McDonalds, it could show a picture of the Hamburgler getting away with some big macs. From tattoo shop, it should look like a bunch of graffiti. From the mall, it should look like the tesla emblem and a sign that says 'free EV supercharging'. And from the charging stations themselves, it should say 'the jokes on you', with a picture of Mitt Romney.

they could just create and slap on one of those view filter things so that it changes based on the direction you are looking at it. From McDonalds, it could show a picture of the Hamburgler getting away with some big macs. From tattoo shop, it should look like a bunch of graffiti. From the mall, it should look like the tesla emblem and a sign that says 'free EV supercharging'. And from the charging stations themselves, it should say 'the jokes on you', with a picture of Mitt Romney.

Awesome!

Supercharging coming to Savage, MD?

I drove a Model S for the first time at the Savage Mill drive event last Sunday. Savage Mill is an old textile mill which has been converted into a shopping complex with interesting stores and restaurants, including a Rams Head Tavern. I heard Tesla is talking to them about putting 8 Superchargers in the back parking lot. This is an excellent location, 3 miles off of I-95, between Washington DC and Baltimore MD. And even better, it's only 5 miles from my house! :wink:

Vera

Superchargers coming to Savage, MD?

I drove a Model S for the first time at the Savage Mill drive event last Sunday. Savage Mill is an old textile mill in Savage, MD which has been converted into a shopping complex with interesting stores and restaurants, including a Rams Head Tavern. I heard Tesla is talking to them about putting 8 Superchargers in the back parking lot. This is an excellent location, 3 miles off of I-95, between Washington DC and Baltimore MD. And even better, it's only 5 miles from my house! :wink:

Vera

I drove a Model S for the first time at the Savage Mill drive event last Sunday. Savage Mill is an old textile mill in Savage, MD which has been converted into a shopping complex with interesting stores and restaurants, including a Rams Head Tavern. I heard Tesla is talking to them about putting 8 Superchargers in the back parking lot. This is an excellent location, 3 miles off of I-95, between Washington DC and Baltimore MD. And even better, it's only 5 miles from my house! :wink:

Vera
You don't need a supercharger 5 miles from your house. You need it 100 miles from your house in each direction to enable long-distance travel wherever you want to go. The idea is to charge your car routinely at home every night and use the superchargers for road trips.

I drove a Model S for the first time at the Savage Mill drive event last Sunday. Savage Mill is an old textile mill in Savage, MD which has been converted into a shopping complex with interesting stores and restaurants, including a Rams Head Tavern. I heard Tesla is talking to them about putting 8 Superchargers in the back parking lot. This is an excellent location, 3 miles off of I-95, between Washington DC and Baltimore MD.
That would be a great location -- I'd really like to be able to top up before I hit the DC traffic mess, and Newark DE is a long ways north.

You don't need a supercharger 5 miles from your house. You need it 100 miles from your house in each direction to enable long-distance travel wherever you want to go. The idea is to charge your car routinely at home every night and use the superchargers for road trips.

I live 3 miles from the Woodbridge SpC and it has come in handy a couple of times. First was coming home from a long trip and I had errands to run when I got home. I just popped over to the SpC to get some quick juice and keep on going. The other time was after towing my motorcycle and I had a bunch of errands to run. 15 minutes at the SpC was enough to keep me going.

It changes how you can use the car and how far you can travel locally. Especially since I don't have a HPWC at home for quick juice.

I live 3 miles from the Woodbridge SpC and it has come in handy a couple of times. First was coming home from a long trip and I had errands to run when I got home. I just popped over to the SpC to get some quick juice and keep on going. The other time was after towing my motorcycle and I had a bunch of errands to run. 15 minutes at the SpC was enough to keep me going.

It changes how you can use the car and how far you can travel locally. Especially since I don't have a HPWC at home for quick juice.

It's nice that occassionally your local Supercharger comes in handy for your errands, but for the initial roll-out of the Supercharger network, TexasEV's point is well-taken. Right now, at the current level of infrastructure expansion, I would much rather have a Supercharger located 100 miles away from my home than in my backyard. That is to say, for the initial roll-out of Superchargers it is better for Superchargers to be located between destinations to fascilitate long distance travel.

However, in the not to distant future Tesla will need to also locate Superchargers starting in key destination locations. A good example is the most traveled destination on Earth, Orlando. It would be prudent for Tesla to install a large Supercharger station in the Orlando area sooner rather than later. However, the reason wouldn't be to facilitate erands by locals living in Orlando. :wink:

Larry

However, in the not to distant future Tesla will need to also locate Superchargers starting in key destination locations. A good example is the most traveled destination on Earth, Orlando. It would be prudent for Tesla to install a large Supercharger station in the Orlando area sooner rather than later. However, the reason wouldn't be to facilitate erands by locals living in Orlando.
Not to be too nitpicky, but Tesla already has destination charging at the world's most-visited tourist destination: the Las Vegas strip. According to this article, Orlando is down in slot #8, just behind Boston's Faneuil Marketplace. So, let's get a SC in Boston, then one in Orlando, 'k? ;-)

Not to be too nitpicky, but Tesla already has destination charging at the world's most-visited tourist destination: the Las Vegas strip. According to this article, Orlando is down in slot #8, just behind Boston's Faneuil Marketplace. So, let's get a SC in Boston, then one in Orlando, 'k? ;-)

Hi Robert,

I take your point. No doubt I was a bit too enthusiastic about Orlando at THE top destination city. However, your article breaks down the "destinations" down to individual tourist attractions. For the purposes of Supercharger destinations I think we should be looking at cities.

Here's a list prepared last year by Hotels.com based on hotel bookings at each city.

Top Domestic/International Destinations for U.S. Travelers

Top US Destination Cities.jpg

I agree apparently Tesla as already started to place Supercharger Stations in destination cities. So as they continue this practice I think that they should consider the order listed above. Okay? :biggrin:

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Hotels on the Strip have HPWCs. That is destination charging.

I agree that chargers located at hotels represents destination charging, but so does a Supercharger Station located in or near a major destination city (as opposed to located along a major highway between cities).

Larry