Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

East Coast Supercharging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but whatever happened to the giant obelisk / tower Tesla shows on their Supercharger site? Have they actually installed any of these markers at any of the Supercharger locations?

Rumor has it that the phallic shaped obelisk went to the same place that Elon's original concept for the "Supercharger is Coming" tee shirts, the reject bucket. More than likely a less objectionable monolithic shape will be proposed to be more acceptable to prospective site hosts.

Larry

It's likely I'd go west of DC (81 to 77) instead of continuing down 95 thru Raleigh... My worst stretch is 215 miles between Natural Bridge KOA and a quick stop at a 1772 somewhere near Charlotte before final destination.
Assuming I have access to Tesla DC and Natural Bridge KOA (I haven't checked yet).
My spreadsheet is getting complex :smile:

I didn't end up going. I got the trip down to about 25 hours (15 hours of driving, 10 hours of charging). I would have gone if I could have secured pet care for tomorrow :smile: Oh well. Next time!

Rumor has it that the phallic shaped obelisk went to the same place that Elon's original concept for the "Supercharger is Coming" tee shirts, the reject bucket. More than likely a less objectionable monolithic shape will be proposed to be more acceptable to prospective site hosts.

Larry

A simple shape would be best. A tall monolith with similar shape to the one seen in the film "2001: A Space Odyssey", except "Tesla Red" in color and with a glowing Tesla 'T' logo emblazoned at the top would work IMO. The basic design of this is already in use at the entrance of Tesla stores.

Not sure if anyone has used the East Coast Super Chargers yet but I can confirm they are up and fully operational. I took delivery of my car on the 22nd and my DS alerted me to the recent CT/DE installations. I have family in the Northern DC area so after convincing my wife to let me "depart" for 48 hours I was off. 763 miles later, I've put my car through 4 super charger cycles and hit all of the new stations. The car truly is a long distance traveler with these facilities and the free electricity seals the deal. If you haven't had a chance to hit the road and try these out, I highly recommend you come up with a reason to visit DC or beyond. Good Luck, Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

IMG_1395.jpg
IMG_1406.jpg

Not sure if anyone has used the East Coast Super Chargers yet but I can confirm they are up and fully operational. I took delivery of my car on the 22nd and my DS alerted me to the recent CT/DE installations. I have family in the Northern DC area so after convincing my wife to let me "depart" for 48 hours I was off. 763 miles later, I've put my car through 4 super charger cycles and hit all of the new stations. [/ATTACH]

When you say "all of the new stations" you mean 2, right? Or did I miss some?

There are (2) in CT, on both the northbound and southbound side of the freeway (is that what they're called there?) in Milford, so a total of (3) locations in (2) different cities.

Correct, the Newark, DE station has 4 charge spots at a "service station" in the middle of the highway so both directions of traffic stop at the same location.

In Milford, there are two identical "service stations" on either side of the highway with 2 charge spots per location. So if you find yourself at either one of the Milford stations and they are full, just zip around to the other station and hopefully you find and open charger!

Clear as Mud? :biggrin:

took a ride to the southbound supercharger in CT. definitely worth the trip. had my first experience with the paparazzi, both on the road and at the charger. on the south bound journey i took it easy and was finally able to get my projected range higher than my rated range. had more fun on the way home at the expense of the rated and projected ranges. after a week of charging at 12 and 30 amps it was quite a trip to see 220 amps filling the battery. the initial charge rate was 256 mi/hr. this tapered off as the battery got closer to being filled. it came down to 73 amps and a rate of 150 mi/hr. still a huge amount. both spots were empty when i arrrived but an audi pulled into the second spot after a few minutes.

audi.jpg
charger.jpg
tscreen.jpg

I am SO tempted to drive to the Charlotte, NC area instead of flying down ... this covers about half the distance so getting to Fredricksburg, VA is easy ... then I'd need two campground charges and possible short J1772 session to reach my destination which adds another 15 hours of charging to the trip. Total time is 32 hours. Mmph.

I am actually thinking of driving up to Boston from Charlotte (actually Atlanta, but staying overnight in Charlotte at my brothers house) I am sort of hoping for one more supercharger before I attempt it sometime next year. And I will try to bring my dogs with me.

I really hope they have a supercharger network throughout most of the East Coast by summer 2014. I think the website says the entire country by 2015. I'm planning an Orlando trip to Disney with my family summer of 2014 and I'll be coming from NY/NJ. We want to drive, and it would be VERY cool if I could take the Model S all the way down to Orlando and back without paying a cent for transportation. Otherwise I'm stuck to a 2013 Ford Flex that gets ~20mpg (LOVE the SUV....crappy mileage though). I'm keeping my hopes up that this part of the network is completed by then! I would think that they would first try to get the major sections of the country done first, e.g. I95 Maine->FL, I5 Seattle to LA, I80 from NY/NJ to San Fran .... in my head that would "make the most sense" to get done first as I would think those would be the most traveled roads cross country.