Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May – July took two road trips in our Dual Motor Model 3 – Ezri.

Stats include Highway and local driving at two overnight stops on each trip.

Colorado to Pennsylvania:

Trip Out (Software Version – 2019.12.1.2):

Total Miles Driven 1,713.62
Rated Miles Used 1,869.67
Efficiency 91.65%
Time Driven 26 Hours 35 Minutes
kWh Used 420.52 kWh
Wh/Mile245 Wh
Average Temp 71.95 F
Supercharging cost: $83.97

Return Trip (Software Version – 2019.16.2):

Total Miles Driven 1,689.24
Rated Miles Used 1,839.68
Efficiency 91.82%
Time Driven 26 Hours 26 Minutes
kWh Used 419.85 kWh
Wh/Mile 249 Wh
Average Temp 79.75 F
Supercharging cost: $84.98

Colorado to California:

Trip Out (Software Version – 2019.20.2.1):

Total Miles Driven 1,198.37
Rated Miles Used 1,242.18
Efficiency 96.47%
Time Driven 19 Hours 46 Minutes
kWh Used 281.78 kWh
Wh/Mile 235 Wh
Average Temp 83 F
Supercharging cost: $62.78

Return Trip (Software Version – 2019.20.4.2):

Total Miles Driven 1,204.48
Rated Miles Used 1,308.11
Efficiency 92.08%
Time Driven 19 Hours 28 Minutes
kWh Used 293.6 kWh
Wh/Mile 244 Wh
Average Temp 94.11 F
Supercharging cost: $51.09

Driving Notes:

On each software release TACC, AP, and NOAP improved. AP and NOAP handle lane changes quicker.

On the trip out to Pennsylvania I used NOAP without Lane Change Confirmation for much of the trip. It successfully navigated thru complicated routes, including interchanges – i.e. all the way thru St Louis. On the other three trips I used NOAP with Lane Change Confirmation on.

The reason for the change is that currently NOAP is like a chess or checkers player that only plays the current move – doesn’t look and plan a number of moves ahead. When passing a slower vehicle it wants to return to the starting lane as soon as it makes the pass, even though there’s another slow vehicle in front of the one passed (there’s been some improvement on this in subsequent releases). If driving in the right lane it doesn’t look/plan ahead for on ramp traffic, i.e. multiple tractor-trailers on the ramp, ramps with short or no acceleration lanes, or ramps that approach the highway at a large or steep angle. NOAP is a great help but still needs a lot of improvement before we have true FSD.

That said NOAP kept us from getting hit twice on the Pennsylvania trip. Both times Ezri was initiating an automatic lane change (first time to the left, second to the right) and quickly aborted. In both cases a vehicle travelling very fast flew by. If I was driving manually I would not have seen either vehicle.

Using NOAP I didn’t get road weary; not having to be in constant control relieved a lot of strain. I concentrated on what I know NOAP doesn’t do well and enjoyed the ride. It was especially nice in heavy traffic.

Supercharging Notes:

Not much to note here, didn’t have any serious charging issues. Inoperable chargers – 1 in Gaithersburg, MD and 2 in Flagstaff, AZ.

Routes:

PA trip: I70 across Colorado, Kansas, Missouri. I64 across Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and into West Virginia. Then I79, I68, I70, and I81 thru West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.

CA trip: I25 down Colorado and New Mexico. I40 across New Mexico, Arizona, and California to I15, route 18, and route 14.

I charged conservatively on both trips, leaving around 80 miles of charge left after each segment with no problems.

Fun Notes:

If you charge in Louisville, KY at the Sullivan University charger and need a meal – Funmi’s Café ( Funmi’s Café | Trendy and Modern Nigerian Cuisine on Bardstown Road ) is in the shopping center right across the street. We had great Nigerian dinners there on both legs of our PA trip.

Another of our favorites in Louisville is Marks Feed Store for BBQ (Best BBQ in Louisville, KY - Mark's Feedstore ), but you’ll need to travel a bit.

Independence, Missouri

Stayed at the Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center (www.stoneycreekhotels.com ) next to the Superchargers. Very nice stay, highly recommend. There’s a small lake and park behind the hotel.

Had an enjoyable dinner at Los Cabos Mexican Grill & Cantina next door to the hotel (About « Los Cabos – Mexican Grill & Cantina ).

If you like BBQ Zarda Bar-B-Q (www.zarda.com ) is a couple of exits east of the Supercharger, really good BBQ.

Santa Fe, New Mexico – one of our favorite cities – food, art, and architecture.

Stayed at Inn at Santa Fe (Inn at Santa Fe Hotel ) next to the Superchargers. Small but very comfortable rooms, great free breakfast.

Restaurants – both just a few miles straight down Cerrillos Rd.

Tortilla Flats (Nationally Acclaimed New Mexican Cuisine ) is a great southwestern restaurant, a favorite of the locals and us. It’s on the left side of Cerrillos Rd. as you head into the city.

Jambo Café ( www.jambocafe.net ) is an African & Caribbean restaurant. Also very popular, we ate there for the first time on this trip – really enjoyed the meal. It’s on the right just past Tortilla Flats.

Flagstaff, Arizona

Out two favorite restaurants (both a bit of a drive from the Supercharger):

Salsa Brava (Best Mexican Restaurant in Flagstaff | Salsa Brava Flagstaff ) has great Mexican food and an included salsa bar (mild to very hot).

Satchmo’s Cajun and Barbecue (Cajun and Barbecue Restaurant and Catering | Flagstaff | Satchmo's ) was a great find on this trip. Enjoyed the Cajun dishes.

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn & Suites (La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Flagstaff | Flagstaff, AZ Hotels ) just down the road from the Superchargers. Very comfortable and free breakfast.

Final Note:

We’ve driven these trips many times in our Audi A4 (which Ezri replaced). The trips were much more enjoyable – more alert and relaxed, not worn out after a day’s drive.

Two additional notes on PA's return trip:
We drove thru heavy rain in WV. NOAP dropped during the heaviest rain, but AP continued to work.
When we crossed time zones from Central to Mountain we were in thunderstorms and Ezri lost cell signal. As a result the clock did not change. I hoped that the next software update would correct the problem - did not. Then I hoped that crossing from Mountain to Pacific would work - did not.
Kudos to the TMC forums, I searched for examples of this problem and came up with a four year old Model S post. The solution was right out of The Wizard of Oz - tap three times on the clock. That worked, clock reset and changed when we went back to Mountain time.

Reactions: puckpurnell