Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to state the obvious, the Supercharger tab on Teslamotors.com has a pin right on / near Coburg for 2015. I'll have to go well out of my way for one of my seasonal routes without it.

Not sure if Tesla staff are on their own forum any more or less than they may be here... do they answer over there ? Ever answered here ?

Back to Superchargers... we need Burlington sooner than later... or Hamilton... and more bays at Lawrence seem to be needed. It seems we're spread pretty thin here !

Just to state the obvious, the Supercharger tab on Teslamotors.com has a pin right on / near Coburg for 2015. I'll have to go well out of my way for one of my seasonal routes without it.

Not sure if Tesla staff are on their own forum any more or less than they may be here... do they answer over there ? Ever answered here ?

Back to Superchargers... we need Burlington sooner than later... or Hamilton... and more bays at Lawrence seem to be needed. It seems we're spread pretty thin here !

Tesla does monitor the forums, but they basically ban their people from participating. We've very occasionally seen official posts from Tesla, but not recently.

I wouldn't count on having Cobourg before the winter. If you plan on not having it, you will not be disappointed.

You can travel from Kingston to Lawrence in the dead of winter, but you have to take it very easy. Maybe draft a truck or two. I would recommend avoiding extreme cold and snowy conditions if at all possible. Definitely preheat the car while plugged in.

If conditions are really bad you can stop for a top-up break at one of the faster Level II chargers (Best Western Cobourg for lunch, say).

You can travel from Kingston to Lawrence in the dead of winter, but you have to take it very easy. Maybe draft a truck or two. I would recommend avoiding extreme cold and snowy conditions if at all possible. Definitely preheat the car while plugged in.

+1
I have done 2 ski-trips during the last winter through that route, so a total of 4 times passing, each time temperatures were below -15C and I had 4 people in the car with lots of luggage and ski equipment. Only once out of the 4 I had to stop at Lawrence for a top-up before heading home to Brampton (another ~30km), the other 3 times I made the longer trip between my garage and Kingston SC. Don't drive too fast, keep an eye on the trip-estimate that shows how much charge you will have at your destination and do not let that fall below 5% (if it does, slow down, draft behind a truck until it gets up above again).

There is lots of talk here about Cobourg, but what about the Hamilton/Burlington SC? It is on the SC map for 2015, just like Cobourg. Anyone know the status or where it is supposed to go?

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone has accurately described the situation of Victoria Park versus DVP. You can wait and wait in the DVP parking lot or travel rather smoothly to the supercharger using Victoria Park.
It is not always that smooth on VP. There is construction right now at VP&401 that may affect travel along VP, especially if you exit from EB 401. Just use Waze to guide you.

I have no idea where they're putting the Hamilton/Burlington SC, but my guess is either (QEW @ Centennial Pkwy) or (QEW @ Guelph Line).
Guelph Line makes a lot more sense as it will also capture people heading to the 403 to the west end of Hamilton. I think they should put it as close as possible to the junction of QEW, 403 and 407. Somewhere like Brant and N Service Rd - where the Costco or Best Buy are.

I have no idea where they're putting the Hamilton/Burlington SC, but my guess is either (QEW @ Centennial Pkwy) or (QEW @ Guelph Line).

Guelph Line makes a lot more sense as it will also capture people heading to the 403 to the west end of Hamilton. I think they should put it as close as possible to the junction of QEW, 403 and 407. Somewhere like Brant and N Service Rd - where the Costco or Best Buy are.

The BestBuy and Costco area has massive congestion issues, but definitely a lot of places one could visit while charging.

I think QEW/Guelph Line isn't quite as bad from a congestion perspective.

The BestBuy and Costco area has massive congestion issues, but definitely a lot of places one could visit while charging.

I think QEW/Guelph Line isn't quite as bad from a congestion perspective.

I find both (QEW @ Guelph Line) and the BestBuy/Costco locations would be great for killing time, but they both tend to be heavily congested most of the time. I got the feeling that the Hamilton/Burlington location was to facilitate the U.S. to Toronto and U.S. to London arteries. If thats the case, the (QEW @ Centennial) might be a good alternative that would be less congested. TBH, I'd be happy with any of those 3 locations. I just want a gray marker to show up on their SuperCharger map ASAP.

I find both (QEW @ Guelph Line) and the BestBuy/Costco locations would be great for killing time, but they both tend to be heavily congested most of the time. I got the feeling that the Hamilton/Burlington location was to facilitate the U.S. to Toronto and U.S. to London arteries. If thats the case, the (QEW @ Centennial) might be a good alternative that would be less congested. TBH, I'd be happy with any of those 3 locations. I just want a gray marker to show up on their SuperCharger map ASAP.
I don't think the QEW & Centennial makes sense since it is quite a far diversion from folks going from Toronto to SW Ontario via either 407 or QEW/403 and would require unnecessary trips over the skyway.