Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we know, currently, there's only a single coming-in-2016 dot for now in the Atlantic provinces. (Woodstock, NB).

However, very recently a TM representative did mention eventual expansion of the network to Nova Scotia. Speculation, but could the timing have something to do with this partnership with Dalhousie?

http://www.dal.ca/news/2015/06/17/charging-onward--dahns-next-move-marks-first-canadian-university.html
(link found in the investor's thread).

In on of the photos, Martin Paquet, Director of sales for Eastern Canada, is in the front-passenger seat. In the group photo TM is also represented by CTO JB Straubel and I think the Director of Battery Technology, Kurt Kelty.

However, very recently a TM representative did mention eventual expansion of the network to Nova Scotia. Speculation, but could the timing have something to do with this partnership with Dalhousie?

http://www.dal.ca/news/2015/06/17/charging-onward--dahns-next-move-marks-first-canadian-university.html

In on of the photos, Martin Paquet, Director of sales for Eastern Canada, is in the front-passenger seat. In the group photo TM is also represented by CTO JB Straubel and I think the Director of Battery Technology, Kurt Kelty.

Too funny. In a July 30, 2013 talk in Waterloo, Jeff Dahn waxed poetically about Tesla several times:

Maybe they saw the talk and finally felt compelled to work with this guy. Its an interesting talk (albeit very long) about what kills Li-ion batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
As we know, currently, there's only a single coming-in-2016 dot for now in the Atlantic provinces. (Woodstock, NB).

My alma mater! This bodes well for increased expansion into the Maritimes, I hope!

Well, I guess it take 2241 posts till we have nothing else to say anymore ! Well it could be that NOTHING happening Eastern Canada right now !!! :(

Kingston was key. Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal connected sans four hour recharge at BW.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome to be geographically relevant to the "smartest company in the world":

http://www.technologyreview.com/lists/companies/2015/

Kingston was key. Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal connected sans four hour recharge at BW.
- /

Kingston and Toronto aren't connected for a 60 or 70D when it's -20C. Especially when the 70D is selling like hotcakes to new owners who will not have any Winter Tesla experience. At best, Kingston and Toronto are going to clog up since everyone will be staying longer to get a full charge. It's disappointing that Cobourg isn't further along. If they encounter a few roadblocks this could be another Drummondville or Kingston drag it out through the Winter debacle.

Toronto to Kingston at -20C would be right on the edge of practicality for a 70D. By my estimate, if you fully preheated, fully charged, and drove below the speed limit (maybe drafted some trucks), you could make it with an adequate safety margin. But you'd have to watch your consumption carefully.

I've done longer trips in conditions like that in my P85, but on a slower speed limit highway - and I was very careful.

Even with my P85 I take some care going Kingston - Toronto in the winter. You don't just drive as fast as you like; you fully charge and take it easy.

Hopefully the trip planner will be telling people they can't make it that far, because otherwise some new owners are going to get themselves stranded.

Kingston and Toronto aren't connected for a 60 or 70D when it's -20C. Especially when the 70D is selling like hotcakes to new owners who will not have any Winter Tesla experience.

That's a very good point. I had the opposite experience of getting my car in winter and got used to it's range and limitations. When summer came, I couldn't get over the drastic improvement in efficiency. I'd hate to be going at this from the other direction. It will be quite a shock for new owners.

That's a very good point. I had the opposite experience of getting my car in winter and got used to it's range and limitations. When summer came, I couldn't get over the drastic improvement in efficiency. I'd hate to be going at this from the other direction. It will be quite a shock for new owners.

Same here....got used to winter first, summer is a breeze.

Toronto to Kingston at -20C would be right on the edge of practicality for a 70D. By my estimate, if you fully preheated, fully charged, and drove below the speed limit (maybe drafted some trucks), you could make it with an adequate safety margin. But you'd have to watch your consumption carefully...

Hopefully the trip planner will be telling people they can't make it that far, because otherwise some new owners are going to get themselves stranded.

The trip planner will need to be improved by next Winter, or it will get people into trouble, especially if 60s and 70Ds are involved. Pre-trip, it only takes into account Winter conditions in a crude and limited way so it may advise people to leave Toronto or Kingston with only an 80% charge. After 20-30 km, it will then realize that actual energy consumption is way above estimates and tell people to make a U-turn in order to fully charge. However, as we know the planner has a habit of recommending useless Supercharger detours, so people may not take the advice seriously.

comber.jpg

Since there's not much going on, here's a photo from Comber on June 27, when it rained from Toronto to Detroit and beyond almost all day. When I started charging (I'm the white one), at 125 rated range remaining, I was getting fewer than 90 kWh. Towards the end of the charge, pushing 90%, I was getting more than 90 kWh. Go figure --- and let me know what you figure. The two cars aren't in identically numbered bays, and at the start, the blue car wasn't present.

The next day, I charged there much closer to the power source. Starting off at 152 rated range, I was getting 103 kWh. Is closer to the power source better?