Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like there are SCs not too far away from Portland in Seabrook, NH (66 miles) and Augusta, ME (55 miles but in the wrong direction). There also appears to be a 2016 SC coming for Portland so that could help if you ever do this trip again.

Not a Tesla owner yet but any time I head out on the road from Ottawa I try to figure out how I'd manage the recharges. Last weekend was through Algonquin to around MacTier. I saw that Greystone was about the only choice and it's great you're offering up a charge for those passing through! I'll remember that if/when I get a Tesla, at this point likely waiting on last few payments on my 2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design and see if in that time AP 2.0 hardware is discussed.
How fast does an 80amp service charge up say a 100km or so? I see that Huntsville any day will have superchargers so it's likely just to ensure getting there.
Cheers,
Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes we are allowing Tesla's passing through to charge complimentary. They will also be building a level 3 fast charger in Arnprior which would be about halfway between us and Ottawa. This station should completed by March 2017 as its part of the Electric Vehicle Chargers Ontario (EVCO) grant program. It seems from the 6 Tesla's we have had this year only 1 was charging at around 80 amps. The one charging at 79 Ams said 92KM an hour. I took a picture of the dashboard and included it here.

Attachments

• IMG_3245 2.JPG
    IMG_3245 2.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 65
Hi Ken,

Yes we are allowing Tesla's passing through to charge complimentary. They will also be building a level 3 fast charger in Arnprior which would be about halfway between us and Ottawa. This station should completed by March 2017 as its part of the Electric Vehicle Chargers Ontario (EVCO) grant program. It seems from the 6 Tesla's we have had this year only 1 was charging at around 80 amps. The one charging at 79 Ams said 92KM an hour. I took a picture of the dashboard and included it here.

Cool, thanks - I sure hope by next summer I can come say hi! ;-)

We need a SC in the Ottawa area, NOW!
This is ridiculous!
It's not ideal, but far from ridiculous. I have been driving a Model S between Toronto and Ottawa for over to three years now (from before there were any Superchargers in Canada), and it is increasingly easy as more and more Superchargers and Level 2 chargers are installed each year. As it is now, you can charge an 85 or 90 at Kingston or Cornwall, and have enough power to get to Ottawa and back again without having to charge in Ottawa. And Ottawa has an increasing number of options for Level 2 charging at hotels and public parking garages, in addition to the generosity of kind Tesla owners such as Doug_G.

While I want more Superchargers everywhere, as I have previously noted, I would place a priority on the expansion of the Supercharger network into unserved areas such as Atlantic Canada.

It's not ideal, but far from ridiculous. I have been driving a Model S between Toronto and Ottawa for over to three years now (from before there were any Superchargers in Canada), and it is increasingly easy as more and more Superchargers and Level 2 chargers are installed each year. As it is now, you can charge an 85 or 90 at Kingston or Cornwall, and have enough power to get to Ottawa and back again without having to charge in Ottawa. And Ottawa has an increasing number of options for Level 2 charging at hotels and public parking garages, in addition to the generosity of kind Tesla owners such as Doug_G.

While I want more Superchargers everywhere, as I have previously noted, I would place a priority on the expansion of the Supercharger network into unserved areas such as Atlantic Canada.

I must respectfully disagree. To not have one in the nation's capital is a bit crazy.

Superchargers aren't for cities; they're for between cities. The exceptions being Service Centres.

They're needed for people going to/from a city. Some people do day trips in and out. And for overnighters, not all hotels have destination chargers. And a bunch of times, even when I've stayed at a hotel with a charger, it's not been working. Ottawa needs one for sure. I'd suggest that it be located near the 416/417 interchange.

Reactions: Lex
They're needed for people going to/from a city. Some people do day trips in and out. And for overnighters, not all hotels have destination chargers. And a bunch of times, even when I've stayed at a hotel with a charger, it's not been working. Ottawa needs one for sure. I'd suggest that it be located near the 416/417 interchange.

You want travel between cities, so you want a Supercharger between cities. There are cities with Superchargers for travel, but that's because they are intersection points and it helps Tesla to reduce the number of Superchargers needed for coverage.

The success of long-distance BEV depends on the growth of overnight and destination charging, and Tesla shouldn't be expected to add Superchargers for those.

I would disagree wholeheartedly. The SC network for now, needs to be placed in strategic locations where there are cars. Atlantic Canada has very few.
When I go to Ottawa, I want to take Hwy 7, not the 401 and thus therein lies the problem. In Winter, its not do able. In summer, barely. We need a SC in the Madoc or Tweed area on hwy 7.
Not only is Hwy 7 more scenic, it cuts the travel time down tremendously when travelling to Ottawa from Hog town as you don't ned to go all the way to the equally boring 416 highway.

You want travel between cities, so you want a Supercharger between cities. There are cities with Superchargers for travel, but that's because they are intersection points and it helps Tesla to reduce the number of Superchargers needed for coverage.

The success of long-distance BEV depends on the growth of overnight and destination charging, and Tesla shouldn't be expected to add Superchargers for those.

Whatever. I don't care if it's in Ottawa or an hour outside of Ottawa. Right now Tesla travel to Ottawa is marginally practical. In that case put one in Arnprior and another one in Ogdensburg. L2 and even L3 chargers are not solutions that will sell well amongst non-enthusiasts that just want a car to get from here to there.

I'm living just west of Montreal Island (Ile-Perrot) and I have a friend living just north of Ottawa in Gatineau. To do a day trip to visit him and then come back is stretching it if I don't pass through Cornwall... EV Trip Planner is showing 75.9kWh needed for the round trip.
A SuperCharger neat Ottawa (or on my way there) would help.

Unfortunately it looks like there's no easy single location for Ottawa. Bayshore Shopping Centre near 417/416 maybe? That's on The Only Road, but wouldn't serve Montreal-Ottawa/Gatineau traffic very well. So maybe there and then another one somewhere on the Mysterious Future Superchargers List.

I would disagree wholeheartedly. The SC network for now, needs to be placed in strategic locations where there are cars. Atlantic Canada has very few.
When I go to Ottawa, I want to take Hwy 7, not the 401 and thus therein lies the problem. In Winter, its not do able. In summer, barely. We need a SC in the Madoc or Tweed area on hwy 7.
Not only is Hwy 7 more scenic, it cuts the travel time down tremendously when travelling to Ottawa from Hog town as you don't ned to go all the way to the equally boring 416 highway.

That is also my preferred route, and before Superchargers was the only route! I would like a Supercharger on that route but suspect that it doesn't see the high volume of traffic required to justify one. On recent trips I have mixed it up a bit by going cross country from Kingston or Port Hope, to reduce the amount of 401 and miss 416 altogether. The intersection of Hwy's 7 and 15 is about as far west on 7 as would seem to make sense, but 416 and 417 would seem more likely (but useless for Hwy 7).

Any news on Huntsville?

Some say superchargers aren't needed in the cities, yet the Toronto supercharger is the busiest so far. How would many owners feel if there wasn't one? Would many still have bought their Teslas? LA is another example with multiple superchargers IN the city. Oh wait, see how many owners have been complaining about Montreal in the past 2 years! (me included)

I honestly find it difficult to recharge in Ottawa. You either get a very slow charger in the city, such as the one in the city hall, or have to drive a bit to the outskirts for a quicker one like Doug's (thanks a lot BTW), or the museum of science, where there is nowhere you can go within a walking distance. In my case, I used Uber to go back to the city and then go back to the car after a few hours. A few hours is still not enough to recharge the battery to make it back to Kingston comfortably, so I have to pick an expensive hotel that got a charger to be able to leave in the morning with a full battery. In my case I can charge up to 80A since I have an older Tesla. The new ones will be worse, because no matter what charger they use, it will be slow by default, unless they get the 2nd charger after delivery.

Yes, it might not be ridiculous as stated above, but Ottawa needs some attention for sure.

Last edited: