Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly find it difficult to recharge in Ottawa.
One solution would be to just not arrive empty. Additional Superchargers between cities will help.

The Supercharger in Toronto is busy in no small part because of use by the locals. I'm a new owner and am guilty of this, at least until we get more fast charging downtown. And perhaps I should buy a backup J1772 adaptor as well.

We've had quite a few "customers" At our 70A station lately. It really is a problem for visitors to Ottawa. Fortunately there is a Chinese restaurant and a Tim Horton's within walking distance, but that is still beyond tedious if you need a 5 hour charge! A lot of people get a local friend or relative with an ICE to rescue them so they can leave the car overnight.

Just FYI, the science museum is closed for major renovations. There is an 80A Tesla station and a J1772 at the aviation museum. It's a little hard to find, off to the right of the main entrance. You do have to pay for parking though.

One solution would be to just not arrive empty. Additional Superchargers between cities will help. ...

I agree. While I would like to see a Supercharger installation in Ottawa, I am not seeing current lack of a Supercharger as a critical problem (except maybe for a 75 or in very cold weather).

Toronto to Ottawa - Range charge in Kingston, take Hwy 15 to Hwy 7 to Ottawa - 170 km of 80 km/hr road, charge in Ottawa (or not), take same route back - total distance 340 km on mostly 80 km/hr road - typical reserve (for an 85) around 60 km of range back in Kingston. If you can charge for an hour in Ottawa at 30 amps (at the NAC, Minto, Best Western or other downtown locations) the range buffer increases to 100 km, which may be required for colder weather. If you have more time on charge in Ottawa, you can reduce the level of charge at Kingston. Perhaps not ideally convenient, but far better than three years ago (when there were no Superchargers and an overnight stay in Ottawa to recharge after the drive to Ottawa on Hwy 7 was the only option).

For Montreal to Ottawa - Range charge in Montreal, drive to Ottawa via 17 and 174 (rather than 417) total round trip distance around 380 km which results in a smallish buffer in an 85 (but a decent buffer in a 90D), charge in Ottawa to the extent possible to increase buffer and worst case (i.e., no charging in Ottawa or cold weather) return via the Cornwall Supercharger (which adds around 15 km and 20 minutes to the trip). Montreal to Ottawa to Cornwall is around 300 km. Again, not perfect, but certainly feasible and vastly better than the Level 2 options which were all that was available before Superchargers.

The challenge is whether it is better to increase the level of service and seamlessness of the experience for the areas which are currently served (e.g., Southern Ontario), or to expand the network into less densely populated areas with a view to bring more potential customers onto the network and expanding the area which is accessible to existing customers. As an admitted "enthusiast" (who has kicked the ICE habit) I favour the latter, but certainly understand why others may favour the former. Hence my advocacy for the extension of the Supercharger network into Atlantic Canada.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I agree. While I would like to see a Supercharger installation in Ottawa, I am not seeing current lack of a Supercharger as a critical problem (except maybe for a 75 or in very cold weather).

Toronto to Ottawa - Range charge in Kingston, take Hwy 15 to Hwy 7 to Ottawa - 170 km of 80 km/hr road, charge in Ottawa (or not), take same route back - total distance 340 km on mostly 80 km/hr road - typical reserve (for an 85) around 60 km of range back in Kingston. If you can charge for an hour in Ottawa at 30 amps (at the NAC, Minto, Best Western or other downtown locations) the range buffer increases to 100 km, which may be required for colder weather. If you have more time on charge in Ottawa, you can reduce the level of charge at Kingston. Perhaps not ideally convenient, but far better than three years ago (when there were no Superchargers and an overnight stay in Ottawa to recharge after the drive to Ottawa on Hwy 7 was the only option).

For Montreal to Ottawa - Range charge in Montreal, drive to Ottawa via 17 and 174 (rather than 417) total round trip distance around 380 km which results in a smallish buffer in an 85 (but a decent buffer in a 90D), charge in Ottawa to the extent possible to increase buffer and worst case (i.e., no charging in Ottawa or cold weather) return via the Cornwall Supercharger (which adds around 15 km and 20 minutes to the trip). Montreal to Ottawa to Cornwall is around 300 km. Again, not perfect, but certainly feasible and vastly better than the Level 2 options which were all that was available before Superchargers.

The challenge is whether it is better to increase the level of service and seamlessness of the experience for the areas which are currently served (e.g., Southern Ontario), or to expand the network into less densely populated areas with a view to bring more potential customers onto the network and expanding the area which is accessible to existing customers. As an admitted "enthusiast" (who has kicked the ICE habit) I favour the latter, but certainly understand why others may favour the former. Hence my advocacy for the extension of the Supercharger network into Atlantic Canada.

I agree with most of this. Ottawa isn't really "on the way" to somewhere else which is why, I suspect, there are no superchargers. Day trips become a problem, but realistically, an Ottawa day trip would only happen from Montreal or Kingston. Other travellers would stay overnight and destination charge.

Perhaps Ottawa could use superchargers, but where? A previous post suggested Bayshore, but there would be ICEing problems for sure. Perhaps the IKEA area would be a better west end option. Another supercharger near the 417/174 split would serve the east end well. The Swiss Chalet on Innes near the 417 already has a destination charger and may be a good spot for Superchargers.