Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typically these big box malls in Ontario have pad-mounts dedicated to the stores (or block of stores) they serve with each service metered at the secondary level. Typically this is 120/208 volts 3-phase, 4-wire, but 347/600 volt is not unheard of either. My guess is that a dedicated pad-mount transformer fed from the utility's primary (13,800 v and 27,600 v are common) would be used to supply the Supercharger.

Yes, that's right. I typed faster than I was thinking, apparently. I had meant to state that the site is likely serviced by 13.8 kV but the utility will step down to 600 V for the service.

- - - Updated - - -

The transformer, even though utility owned, is payed for by the customer as a "capital contribution" which reflects the cost of the transformer minus an amount representing the expected additional revenue the utility will realize. As such, there is no technical reason why the utility can't provide a 277/480 volt unit.

Technical, no ... but economics, yes. Here in BC, the utility buys large quantities of transformers, and that affects the price they pay. So standardizing on 600 V secondary service means money. Similarly, the PT/CT and metering equipment are purchased for 600 V service, so BC Hydro will not authorize any new service at 480 V. There are a few sites that I've worked at that have 480 grandfathered in, but those are the rare (and getting rarer) exception.

Tesla, if they want 480 V equipment in Canada, will have to accept that most utilities expect them to provide their own 600/480 transformer and connect it after the billing equipment.

Technical, no ... but economics, yes. Here in BC, the utility buys large quantities of transformers, and that affects the price they pay. So standardizing on 600 V secondary service means money. Similarly, the PT/CT and metering equipment are purchased for 600 V service, so BC Hydro will not authorize any new service at 480 V. There are a few sites that I've worked at that have 480 grandfathered in, but those are the rare (and getting rarer) exception.

Tesla, if they want 480 V equipment in Canada, will have to accept that most utilities expect them to provide their own 600/480 transformer and connect it after the billing equipment.

Ontario is a bit different with about 70 Local Distribution Companies each with different Conditions of Service and other technical requirements. It is not out of the realm of possibility that Utilities Kingston would provide a 480v unit while Woodstock Hydro would not, and so on for the various LDCs. I manage the Metering Dept. (among other areas) at the utility I work for, and metering at these voltages would be trivial, at least for us. There is the issue of the utility having to maintain an oddball "spare" transformer, so that does weight against 480v, but some utilities would allow a customer-owned transformer, even with secondary metering (we have some installations like that at my utility).

Good morning everyone ! Fresh pictures from Kingston taken a few minutes ago. (Nov 13th 2014 9am)
(Looks like a step-down transformer is still missing. And the AC to DC converters/cabinets are not hooked up. Seemed like they were about to pour concrete around the stalls today.)

IMG_4861.JPG

IMG_4855.JPG

IMG_4857.JPG

Good morning everyone ! Fresh pictures from Kingston taken a few minutes ago. (Nov 13th 2014 9am)
(Looks like a step-down transformer is still missing. And the AC to DC converters/cabinets are not hooked up. Seemed like they were about to pour concrete around the stalls today.)

View attachment 63527

View attachment 63528

View attachment 63529

Nice.... Seems like there's already a white Tesla there waiting to charge! Like a bird at an empty bird feeder...

I haven't seen wagers on the opening date yet:

I'll start with Nov 28. wager is 25 cents

Everything depend on the Hydro Ontario (or whoever it is), and the electrician that will connect everything. But based on what I see, I can forget my hope for be ready for the 21 of November :) If they build the foundation for the transformer today, and poured the concrete tomorrow, they could install it on Monday, then it could be possible. But my feeling it the actual connection to the electric network that will be slow. Also, construction work something seem to go fast, then everything stall for no apparent reason.

I'm looking at the Cornwall thread and the pics. If they do the transformer base tomorrow, then it would be similar to the state the Cornwall station on the 2014-08-18, and it was operational on 2014-08-28 ! This mean November 26 as a potential possible date !

In Cornwall, the crew was working seven days a week in order to finish before the Labor day holiday weekend. I believe there is a bit less urgency this time, but it is encouraging to see the progress.

Kingston SC Friday afternoon update!

Once again, workers were on site late in the afternoon on a Friday. Progress is excellent at the SC stalls...however no sign of a step down transformer yet.

lance-I am a betting man: November 28th completion. Wager: 1 pint of delicious craft beer from Stone City Ales. No Carling for this guy! Perhaps we can execute this plan while the wives are shopping?

First two shots are in the morning...second are in the afternoon.

Have a great weekend everyone!

photo 2 (3).JPG
photo 1 (3).JPG
photo 3 (3).JPG
photo 4.JPG

Thanks for the update... again! I don't drink beer but I'll gladly buy you beer should the date of November 28 be correct! If it's after that you'll owe me G&T's... if before... well, there will be no before!

The concrete pours take so much time.... let's go boys!

I'll bet a slice of pizza to go with the beer :) Have they pour the concrete for the transformer or it still gravel ? It might be a different team since this touch the building. I got the feeling that the SC will be fully complete but won't have any power source to it :)

No concrete pad...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the update... again! I don't drink beer but I'll gladly buy you beer should the date of November 28 be correct! If it's after that you'll owe me G&T's... if before... well, there will be no before!

The concrete pours take so much time.... let's go boys!

Ok, you can buy me a beer ;)