Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks as though the love affair with posting on the Supercharger threads has waned.
Used to be that everyone was posting everyday about some SC opening in Canada or a progress report.
Nowadays, we might see a new posting once a week, if we are lucky.
I think it's the realization that has set in that Tesla really doesn't care about Canada.
I doubt very much that Canada will be ready for the onslaught of Model 3's next year as the SC network will be basically no different than it is today, in Canada.
On the upside of course, if the network isn't ready, which it won't be, there will be fewer Model 3's to worry about clogging the SC's.

It looks as though the love affair with posting on the Supercharger threads has waned.
Used to be that everyone was posting everyday about some SC opening in Canada or a progress report.
I think it's the realization that has set in that Tesla really doesn't care about Canada.
I doubt very much that Canada will be ready for the onslaught of Model 3's next year as the SC network will be basically no different than it is today, in Canada.
On the upside of course, if the network isn't ready, which it won't be, there will be fewer Model 3's to worry about clogging the SC's.
Realistically, Model-3 won't hit Canada till 2018, probably the latter half. There is still time...

I wouldn't say that Tesla doesn't "care" about Canada, but rather they care about the US market 10 times more than the Canadian market. There just isn't as many sales in Canada as there are in the US, so the roll-out has to be proportional to sales. It is the sales that funds the SC rollout.

If you want to do something to help the rollout, get out there and sale more model-S/3/X on behalf of Tesla. ;)

Also don't forget that all the most travelled routes are now covered. Before the SC network Most Teslas were in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. For 90% of those owners most of their trips can now be accomplished easily. Sure we can't drive cross country but realistically those remote SCs would be rarely used. Not familiar with the west but for eastern Canada I'd love to see SC access from ON. To Atlantic Canada.

Reactions: wolfpet and Jaff
I doubt very much that Canada will be ready for the onslaught of Model 3's next year as the SC network will be basically no different than it is today

With CHAdeMO adaptor, Ontario and Quebec will be ready for the Tesla Model 3, both provinces are aggressively rolling out DC fast charging.

Tesla has covered the major routes in Ontario, so I am perfectly satisfied as an owner of a long range S85, we don't have any range issues on the routes we drive.

Expect the vast majority of Model 3 reservation holders in Ontario are similar to the early S owners, namely, informed and excited and ready to purchase an EV in their price range. The major difference is that early S owners had no fast charging available, while 3 owners will have hundreds of DC chargers spread around the province.

Guess is depends where you live and how you vote.

Reactions: Blazing Whisper
I think we have to be realistic. Tesla will eventually build out the infrastructure here, stores and superchargers. It will just be much slower than we'd hope for. They're putting all their money into building manufacturing capacity right now.

Personally, I'm hoping that Tesla does make Supercharging a paid affair for Model 3. Especially if they offer pay-as-you-go options. The latter especially will dissuade people from using Superchargers when they don't need to. Otherwise the stations will become clogged and will essentially be "unreliable" for long-distance travel.

That's a problem in the USA too, so I would expect they'll run the numbers and figure it out...

Well, as a Canadian living in the US, I feel your pain. Especially in the Maritimes where I grew up and visit a few times a year. (But loving the Bangor addition)

I will say that Tesla tracks us, and knows the routes the cars are traveling and uses that data to assist in planning to fill SuperCharger gaps on a need basis. The more cars, the likelier it becomes a priority. Although Ontario cottage country caught me off guard...

While this seemingly goes against the "build it first and they will come" scenario necessary for Model 3 success, there are still huge gaps in the US connecting very large population centers that are still an issue. So, while I'd love to see a trans-canada network someday, I expect they will be filling up more populated and travelled sections first.

Point is, less of a country issue - more of a demand issue.

Reactions: RedP85+ and wolfpet
Tesla tracks us, and knows the routes the cars are traveling and uses that data to assist in planning to fill SuperCharger gaps on a need basis

Not sure that's the way to do it, it's all a bit of chicken/egg, as it's hard to do trips outside of the range of the car if all you have is destination charging. We recently did a Lake Huron tour, Toronto->Grand Bend->Goderich->Hanover->Tobermory->Barrie->Toronto, and we charged in Goderich (destination), Hanover (lunch) and two different 120V outlets (>25 hours) total charging. I doubt many others would embark on such a trip, so no likelyhood of charging on that route if Tesla was only looking at how many people go to a place.

As for Ontario, the government has planned out DC charging (CHAdeMO and CCS) to cover most of the places in the province that we travel, so we just need to pick up an adaptor when that rolls out more fully.

Reactions: Falkirk
Personally, I'm hoping that Tesla does make Supercharging a paid affair for Model 3. Especially if they offer pay-as-you-go options. The latter especially will dissuade people from using Superchargers when they don't need to. Otherwise the stations will become clogged and will essentially be "unreliable" for long-distance travel.

That's a problem in the USA too, so I would expect they'll run the numbers and figure it out...

Definitely agree. If SC's become a clogged up, unreliable way to travel, then the Tesla ev revolution is in big trouble. It is aggravating enough when I drive east beyond the SC network. If the network itself became functionally unreliable then Teslas become essentially just a car for local driving and they are in huge trouble. This could be a game changer in a negative way for Tesla if it is not handled correctly.

2 hours north of Quebec City, on the east side of the St. Laurent. Only reason I get up there is because of the rock climbing in Kamouraska, 30 minutes south of Rivière-du-Loup.
Going through RdL could be a good way to drive to the Maritimes without having to cut through the US. RdL to Fredericton is 389km so you could do that in some Teslas, at least in the summer, especially with a top up at an L2 charger along the way.

It would take a 50 kW chargerat least twohours to fill a 100D. Due to tapering it would probably be two hours for an 85 or 90.
"50kW" stations are limited by output current, and it's more commonly in the 100 amp range, implying a rated voltage near 500v. Discharged 70 packs are well under 300 volts, so at a low SoC don't expect more than 32kW from these "50kW" stations. It's more like 1/3rd the speed of Supercharging, at least below 2/3 SoC.