Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1164.JPG
I have found that using non-tesla charging stations throughout the province, although pretty life saving, quite dreadful.

Non-Superchargers just take way too long to charge. Just these passed couple of weeks, I can recall taking several 2-4 hour forced naps when charging just to get home. Don't get me wrong, this isn't always the norm, but I do a ton of driving. More superchargers are needed.

I don't even bother trying to go to the Lawrence SC during the day.

For my home charger, I did the upgraded amperage on my MX. When I'm at the cottage and see 5+ hours to charge (to 90%) I just cringe.

Winter is coming. This will be my first winter with an EV. My range anxiety is definitely back, full force.

Like this is ridiculous. I've needlessly walked around this place around an hour already... I need to have at least 350km range before getting back on the road as there will be no other charging available to me for the rest of my day.. (I have no intention of charging to 100% as the pic shows it's set to. 375 is my 90%)

Not enough information to comment on. I don't know where you're going or which options you have. Also, "When I'm at the cottage and see 5+ hours to charge (to 90%)" doesn't create much of a problem if you're charging overnight. There are tough areas to figure out in Ontario, but there are forum members who live in far-flung semi-rural areas who could probably assist you.

Reactions: Jaff
Not enough information to comment on. I don't know where you're going or which options you have. Also, "When I'm at the cottage and see 5+ hours to charge (to 90%)" doesn't create much of a problem if you're charging overnight. There are tough areas to figure out in Ontario, but there are forum members who live in far-flung semi-rural areas who could probably assist you.
The cottage I can deal with now. Overnight is an option and Huntsville supercharger going live helps greatly too.

As per the situation I was in earlier, trust me, I've exhausted them all. The charger that I was using that gets me roughly 64km per hour, is the best I'll get.

I was there last Monday and ran into the property manager who was keen to chat as I was the first he'd seen charging there. When asked, he explained that the delay in opening had been due to a number of minor site installation deficiencies that just took time to be completely addressed, including some safety issues related to winter icing conditions.
Now: IMG_20161003_113644[1].jpg
Interestingly, he mentioned that the Tesla team said they were working on sites in North Bay, Sudbury and one "the other side of Algonquin Park to get to Ottawa" - Barry's Bay? He may have understood "planned" to be "working on", but has anyone seen any activity at likely sites for those 2016 Tesla map sites? I have a friend going through Algonquin to Ottawa next week that I've asked to be on the look out for any signs of work ...

I was there last Monday and ran into the property manager who was keen to chat as I was the first he'd seen charging there. When asked, he explained that the delay in opening had been due to a number of minor site installation deficiencies that just took time to be completely addressed, including some safety issues related to winter icing conditions.
Now: View attachment 197986
Interestingly, he mentioned that the Tesla team said they were working on sites in North Bay, Sudbury and one "the other side of Algonquin Park to get to Ottawa" - Barry's Bay? He may have understood "planned" to be "working on", but has anyone seen any activity at likely sites for those 2016 Tesla map sites? I have a friend going through Algonquin to Ottawa next week that I've asked to be on the look out for any signs of work ...

Or maybe, just maybe they're also working on connecting North Bay to Ottawa along the Trans Canada Highway?

View attachment 197401

Like this is ridiculous. I've needlessly walked around this place around an hour already... I need to have at least 350km range before getting back on the road as there will be no other charging available to me for the rest of my day.. (I have no intention of charging to 100% as the pic shows it's set to. 375 is my 90%)
You're still a bit new at this. Give it some time to rewire yourself and your planning and expectations a bit. Yes you will stop more frequently then an ICE car but you learn to plan differently for trips. It is much better now then it was 1.5 years ago when I started and it is just getting better in terms of SC and destination chargers, but you do need to re-think things a bit. For example I am traveling next week from the Maritimes to Boston. I will take the ferry from Digby to NB which leaves at 5pm arrives around 8 and drive to an inn in St. Andrew that has a destination charger. Charge overnight and bright and early on my way to the SC at Brewer.

No question that the lack of SC in the Maritimes is a problem but last year on the same trip I had to stop many more times for level 2 then this year which is essentially only once to go all the way from the Maritimes to Florida. Darn impressive really.

If you want to just fill your car in 5 minutes stopping anywhere you want - well that is just not realistic yet. Part of the fun is learning about energy and consumption and how it all works. Hang in there. I have several ICE in addition to my Tesla, and even with the charging hassles… I prefer to drive my Model S.

You're still a bit new at this. Give it some time to rewire yourself and your planning and expectations a bit. Yes you will stop more frequently then an ICE car but you learn to plan differently for trips. It is much better now then it was 1.5 years ago when I started and it is just getting better in terms of SC and destination chargers, but you do need to re-think things a bit. For example I am traveling next week from the Maritimes to Boston. I will take the ferry from Digby to NB which leaves at 5pm arrives around 8 and drive to an inn in St. Andrew that has a destination charger. Charge overnight and bright and early on my way to the SC at Brewer.

No question that the lack of SC in the Maritimes is a problem but last year on the same trip I had to stop many more times for level 2 then this year which is essentially only once to go all the way from the Maritimes to Florida. Darn impressive really.

If you want to just fill your car in 5 minutes stopping anywhere you want - well that is just not realistic yet. Part of the fun is learning about energy and consumption and how it all works. Hang in there. I have several ICE in addition to my Tesla, and even with the charging hassles… I prefer to drive my Model S.
Thank you for the kind words.

The day I wrote that rant, I was kind of bitter.

Yes, I'm still a novice and I'm learning. I still get range anxiety and don't understand the range stuff exactly nor how many kilowatt hours it takes to charge or how much energy each km costs me in comparison to gas. In fact I don't comprehend how to figure this out either.

Reactions: RedP85+
Thank you for the kind words.

The day I wrote that rant, I was kind of bitter.

Yes, I'm still a novice and I'm learning. I still get range anxiety and don't understand the range stuff exactly nor how many kilowatt hours it takes to charge or how much energy each km costs me in comparison to gas. In fact I don't comprehend how to figure this out either.
Here is something that might help. It did for me. Generally the Model S battery is equivalent to 3 gallons of gas which at 100 mpg is the range of 300 miles for the model S and at 10 cents a kWh will cost you $9.00 to fill up. Now I have rounded all the numbers to make it easier to calculate but the main thing is that the Model S is very efficient and gas has a lot more energy stored by weight than batteries.

(snip) ... or how much energy each km costs me in comparison to gas. In fact I don't comprehend how to figure this out either.

For the metric equivalent, I use this:
How many km per liter of gas did you get in your last car? All Canadian cars are rated in liters/100KM. I had a Lincoln, and used about 10 liters per 100 KM. This equates to 10 KM per liter
So; If you use todays' gas price at $1.00/liter it cost me, IN GAS, $.10 per KM (YMMV)
If you got 350 KM in your last charge cycle, it would have cost you $35.00

With the Tesla, your electricity costs are never the $.07/KWH (Kilowatt Hour) that the utility says. You have to add delivery, Debt retirement, transmission, and GST/HST to this. Also, if you are on time of use rates, the base rate differs on the time and day. @mknox ran a big utility, and has some interesting calculations to help give you a true cost. I use $.12/KWH, as I charge mostly at night and on weekends. To calculate the same trip, bring up your trip App, and it will tell you the distance traveled AND the KWH used. In the case of the same 350KM trip, it should be around 64 KWH at rated range. At $.12/kWH it would be $7.68 in electricity.

$35.00 to $7.68 is a decent savings. This does not take into account; vampire losses and a few other things

Last edited:
For the metric equivalent, I use this:
How many km per liter of gas did you get in your last car? All Canadian cars are rated in liters/100KM. I had a Lincoln, and used about 10 liters per 100 KM. This equates to 10 KM per liter
So; If you use todays' gas price at $1.00/liter it cost me, IN GAS, $.10 per KM (YMMV)
If you got 350 KM in your last charge cycle, it would have cost you $35.00

With the Tesla, your electricity costs are never the $.07/KWH (Kilowatt Hour) that the utility says. You have to add delivery, Debt retirement, transmission, and GST/HST to this. Also, if you are on time of use rates, the base rate differs on the time and day. @mknox ran a big utility, and has some interesting calculations to help give you a true cost. I use $.12/KWH, as I charge mostly at night and on weekends. To calculate the same trip, bring up your trip App, and it will tell you the distance traveled AND the KWH used. In the case of the same 350KM trip, it should be around 64 KWH at rated range. At $.12/kWH it would be $7.68 in electricity.

$35.00 to $7.68 is a decent savings. This does not take into account; vampire losses and a few other things
I just screen shot your very detailed explanation. I'm going to work out the math when I have time. You have definitely helped with my understanding and thank you for using metric!

313km from Ottawa to Syracuse Supercharger (temp 5 to 10 C) at average speed of 115km/h required 61.4kWh = 196 W/km. Not much around the Syracuse Supercharger other than a hotel, Kinney Drugs, and Dunkin Donuts.

On the drive back, I skipped Syracuse to charge at the Watertown Supercharger so that I would not have to charge to a high percentage. In that regard, the Watertown Supercharger really speeds up the drive to Ottawa even though Canadians were critical of Tesla building in Watertown before building out the network in Canada. Decent food options, however, are not within walking distance of the Watertown Supercharger, the mall where the Supercharger is located just has a lower quality food court. On the other side of the highway are the better fast food options (e.g., Five Guys, Chipotle, Starbucks), so separate charging and food stops were required.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm keeping track of the (non-obvious) electricity use that the car doesn't indicate, in other words what comes into the car from the charger, which is more than what the car says it uses. I don't know what that will be in the winter, having started metering and calculating in detail only in mid-July. So far the extra cost is about 10% over what the car says.

(YMMV, i.e. the cost, because of free use, at Superchargers or elsewhere.)

In the first two years of driving an S, we charged for free for about 25% of the km driven. I estimate that each year's 31,000 km cost just under 2¢ a km, so just over $600 each year. How does that compare to a comparably sized gasoline car? If the comparison is 10¢/km, then the Model S is over 80% more efficient and less costly in fuel.

I installed an extra electric meter into my charging circuit so I have exact usage figures. In my over 96,000 km driven so far with plenty of Supercharging, my fuel cost is 2.1 cents/km. Including capital cost and all subsequent expenses minus trade in value gets me 47 cents/km. This compares to my 1991 Mercedes 300SL at 28 cents/km end our 2007 Toyota Sienna at 57 cents/km ( wife doesn't drive that much ).

Nobody really knows but that is what at least one member has speculated. In my eyes there needs to be more stations and more chargers, and it only makes sense for both the Service Centre / Store to have chargers, as well as guests / clients / travelers.

It wouldn't surprise me if we got Oakville and Ottawa in before 2017... but I'm just wildly speculating :cool: It doesn't seem that winter halts the construction, if there is any planned that is.