Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Construction started recently at a site in the White Mountains of New Hamsphire (Lincoln). I checked, and the average January low there is the same as in Levis, QC. So, it would appear to be an administrative problem or business decision that is delaying the Lévis site rather than the Winter.

Is Tesla is waiting for the NHL to return to Quebec City? If so, don't count on anything soon.

What's happened to all the daily posts concerning the Eastern Canada Sc''s?
Is it indifference?
It's been almost 10 days since the last post. Wow!
I'm wondering if it's the realization that that's it for 2016!
Other than Oakville, I'm wondering if that's it period!
Just my opinion of course but SC construction in Canada has been just awful compared to what's been transpiring in the States or other countries..
I feel there's too many south of the border and too many too close to each other. So much for spacing them for travellers!

What's happened to all the daily posts concerning the Eastern Canada Sc''s?
Is it indifference?
It's been almost 10 days since the last post. Wow!
I'm wondering if it's the realization that that's it for 2016!
Other than Oakville, I'm wondering if that's it period!
Just my opinion of course but SC construction in Canada has been just awful compared to what's been transpiring in the States or other countries..
I feel there's too many south of the border and too many too close to each other. So much for spacing them for travellers!

There is construction in Merritt BC right now too - so Oakville is not alone...

All joking aside, the comparison is not necessarily a fair one. It is a matter of population and scale. And, there are still large gaps in the US that are quite an inhibitor to long distance travel. (see PA and WV for example)

While I'd love to see Levis and a couple in NB for my own selfish reasons, I also know that Tesla tracks our vehicle's routes and where we charge - which helps them prioritize SC locations.

Finally, closing gaps is crucial for winter travel and smaller battery packs. (60, Model 3, etc...) While it may seem to make more sense to fill in large holes first, if a route is being travelled extensively (see tracking above) it makes sense to reduce the range and take some pressure off the other SC's on the route.

Reactions: Falkirk
While the charger in Houlton / Woodstock has been on the map (literally) for a long time, the general intentions of Tesla as far as the Maritimes is unclear. One thing that is clear... one service center in Montreal is not a long term plan for the Maritimes - driving 1200 Km for service is not viable. There was a positing that said that the 2017 map will go up soon. That should tell us a great deal. It is worth pointing out that there has been some destination charging activity in New Brunswick and even PEI which is helpful. Still, you have to be a patient and motivate owner because you have to survive on Sun Country Level 2.

Reactions: 5YJSA

I feel you wrt to the Canadian rollout, but I don't think we're at the point of "too many" in the US. For example, they really need something in the Lansing or Flint, MI area to make traversing Michigan on I-69 a bit less hairy in the cold or with smaller battery packs.

While the charger in Houlton / Woodstock has been on the map (literally) for a long time, the general intentions of Tesla as far as the Maritimes is unclear. One thing that is clear... one service center in Montreal is not a long term plan for the Maritimes - driving 1200 Km for service is not viable. There was a positing that said that the 2017 map will go up soon. That should tell us a great deal. It is worth pointing out that there has been some destination charging activity in New Brunswick and even PEI which is helpful. Still, you have to be a patient and motivate owner because you have to survive on Sun Country Level 2.

I hope I illustrated that last summer to them.

I was back "home" in Saint John where I grew up from South Carolina (home now) for 8 weeks and mine needed urgent service. (a faulting high voltage cable and a "just to be safe" drive unit replacement as a result of the fault) Because Montreal was outside the 500 mile limit, Boston sent up a loaner on a flatbed and took my car back for repair. They then returned my car to me, and retrieved the loaner.

The catch? The drivers could NOT cross the border. I met them both times in Calais Maine. Still, the service was AMAZING - but at a cost to Tesla for sure. Something closer would have been FAR better for all involved.

If you still believe the 2016 map then we still have three SCs to go in Ontario this year - Ottawa, Sudbury and North Bay. And the Huntsville one will be ripped out as well since it disappears when you switch from now to the 2016 map.
How about all of the ones into North Dakota and into southern Manitoba? I was going to try to count the difference between the "now" map and the "2016" map but there are just too many. I think they got overly ambitious. They do really need a huge build out in 2017 or the stories of waiting lines at every Supercharger once the Model III comes out will sink the brand.

How about all of the ones into North Dakota and into southern Manitoba? I was going to try to count the difference between the "now" map and the "2016" map but there are just too many. I think they got overly ambitious. They do really need a huge build out in 2017 or the stories of waiting lines at every Supercharger once the Model III comes out will sink the brand.
I'm not sure it will sink the brand. I am not sure how big the wait lines will be - I think it is a very price sensitive issue. If there is no cost yes there is an issue, but if the cost is $.40 / KwH or $20 / 50KwH charge - people will think twice and charge at home if they can, which is the intention (or was).

There have been several articles lately on shorting Tesla stock and they pretty much all talk about the build cost of Model 3 versus sale price. No one is looking at revenue from superchargers and this may be a significant revenue source that not only helps keep the company going but controls the traffic at the SC's.

These are clever people. I am more then a bit concerned about Solar City - but other then that they are playing this very cleverly.

That is the way we came back to Ontario this August. Drove through some real moose country (literally... we had to stop for a moose once on the road) and totally misjudged in assuming that there would be a small motel between the Augusta, Maine Supercharger and Magog. Ended up getting into Magog and finding a hotel at about 3:00 am. Now with the new Bangor Supercharger would not have to go down to Augusta, I assume.

OMG, we came back from NB through Maine. We had to go to charge at Darling's Nissan's chademo because Bangor supercharger was still not open then.

But the real problem was that we also could not find a hotel with vacancy anywhere in Quebec until we (literally) drove all the way from Magog to Montreal airport. Also got in about 3 am.

I haven't seen anything confirming the Oakville SuperCharger rumour. I think it went up on the supercharge.info map prematurely.

Interesting. I had been taking it as a given.

But now that you mention it, I said something about it to the service guy on Lawrence Avenue one day, and he looked at me with a sort of confused look and said "is there?"

I thought he was being cagey because, you know, Tesla.

But maybe he was honestly surprised because there is no construction there...

This thread is about Eastern Canada Superchargers and I don't consider Manitoba to be in the East, although I guess that may be debatable. Technically the longitudinal centre of Canada is a bit east of Winnipeg.

Agreed, but doesn't therefore mean there won't be another sc in Canada for a long time.
I agree that there is no reason to think that they won't continue the build out in Canada - and in 2016 we got at least one SC that was never on any map - Parry Sound.

And to support your point that the 2016 map is BS - the Huntsville location is no longer on the 2016 map - so if you took it literally that would mean they are removing that station in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Falkirk