Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No unfortunately.
Arrived at 1:30 and of course the Tesla charger isn't working!
I have about 90 km to get around town Thursday.
Perhaps I can plug in somewhere else at the end of the day.
I will never stay at this hotel again!
At Brookstreet Hotel?

I don't see any reports of broken or ICE'd chargers in Ottawa on Plugshare. If you are having trouble in Ottawa but are not reporting it there, many others stand to have similar difficulty unnecessarily.

My car is in for service at Toronto. I had 90km range when I arrive at 7:30am and plugged into a supercharger while I signed in.

A technician and I went for a drive and he deliberately parked in a normal spot upon our return despite my battery being low.

So, users should be happy to know service does NOT leave cars plugged in... even when the car and chargers are empty.

Reactions: Falkirk
At Brookstreet Hotel?

I don't see any reports of broken or ICE'd chargers in Ottawa on Plugshare. If you are having trouble in Ottawa but are not reporting it there, many others stand to have similar difficulty unnecessarily.
No, the Dauphin in St. Hyacinthe.
They have two tesla chargers. The second one Wednesday night was iced. Stayed last night as well and the working charger was iced again but I was able to park beside it and was able to charge.
The other one is still not working!
They know about it now. Friendly staff.
Have to give them some slack as the snowfall was brutal and there weren't many spots available for cars.

OPP suggested I take 15 north to Smiths Falls then 43 east to 416 then rejoin 401.
I guess I won't get in until midnight!
They said 401 won't open now until morning!
Massive delays on 401 as they redirect traffic.
15 north is probably the best solution.

This happened to us also on our trip to Virginia and our trip down Hwy 81. We delayed departure by a day with closed 401- this made it a long one day trip to Virginia. Supercharger network worked well and we were only car charging at Watertown, Binghamton, Moosic, Harrisburg and Strasbourg. Only saw one other tesla which arrived at Harrisburg just as we were departing. Long day but the car performed well and made the long drive much more enjoyable than my previous ICE cars.

Anyone have updates on the proposed Levis, Quebec Supercharger? I have an annual summer trip to the Maritimes in July, and it would be so ideal to have it in place.

I haven't posted for a while but I just recently got back from a winter road trip to Wilmington Beach, North Carolina in my old school S60, driving from Toronto. Although it is nice to have all the SC coverage on the way down, I got a fresh reminder of the impact of altitude, cold, rain/snow and wind. When any/all of those items come together, it really makes it very challenging (in a 60) to stick to a (hopeful) driving plan. You always end up having to drive a little slower than you'd like, or charging a little longer than you'd like, even with Superchargers. Trips like this remind me that I would gladly pay for a car with a 400 mile battery, if for no other reason that you could in theory always use the bottom half (ie under 200 miles) part of the battery to achieve super-fast fast charging. Right now when I drive, I'm always trying hard to stick to the bottom half of my S60 battery to keep the supercharges as quick as possible, but it often means I cut it tight on my buffer. What can I say.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I never really understood that logic... It would be like leaving on a road trip with only 70% battery, so you could charge at a quicker rate at your first supercharger stop. Yes, you charge at a quicker rate, but you need to leave the supercharger with x amount of kms range to get to your next stop, so leaving with a full battery always makes sense.
(No offense intended.)

I think the ideal solution is somewhere in-between the above two extremes. Charging fully at a supercharger is tedious, because the last 20% takes about as much time as the first 80%, so you are basically doubling the wait time from ~30mins to an hour+. On the other hand, cutting too close and being forced to drive slowly to reach the next charger is both frustrating and risky (e.g. in case there is any trouble on the road forcing you to a detour).

It is best to come up with a realistic estimate (taking into account temperature, elevation change, wind) of how much energy you need, then add a 10%-15% buffer and charge to that value.

For the estimate, you can use a tool like this:
EV Trip Planner

I think the ideal solution is somewhere in-between the above two extremes. Charging fully at a supercharger is tedious, because the last 20% takes about as much time as the first 80%, so you are basically doubling the wait time from ~30mins to an hour+. On the other hand, cutting too close and being forced to drive slowly to reach the next charger is both frustrating and risky (e.g. in case there is any trouble on the road forcing you to a detour).

It is best to come up with a realistic estimate (taking into account temperature, elevation change, wind) of how much energy you need, then add a 10%-15% buffer and charge to that value.

For the estimate, you can use a tool like this:
EV Trip Planner

Sorry, I meant leaving from HOME with less than 100% doesn't make sense. (on a road trip)
My logic would dictate it's not about how much juice you put into the car at a charging stop, but how much you leave with.

Sorry, I meant leaving from HOME with less than 100% doesn't make sense. (on a road trip)
My logic would dictate it's not about how much juice you put into the car at a charging stop, but how much you leave with.

I agree that the Supercharging strategy is a bit wacky but I recall I first learned of it when the Tesla Supercharger team did their very first 'high speed' crossing of the USA, which they did once the density of Superchargers was in place to allow such a thing. Specifically, I recall their (admittedly risky) strategy was to always stay in the bottom part of the battery with minimal buffer with a goal to minimize their total charging time across the full coast to coast trip. I recall they would often get into Superchargers with (admittedly non-Doug G approved) battery levels of just 10-20 miles as a rule. Each charge was as quick as possible and they ran they math every time to account for temp/wind/altitude/rain to try to make it work. Wacky!

It is entirely true that charging power in kW is greater at lower (but not lowest) state of charge and decreases as battery becomes more full.

On our long supercharger trips, we range charge to 100% to start, and then drive as rapidly as laws (and sense) allows till the next charging location, however, if the opportunity to skip a station is available, there is a decision that potentially needs to be made, slow down and skip a charger, or not. Generally, I skip if I can get to a charger with 15% SOC (on a Tesla S85) at goodly enough speed (note the bold). If I cannot maintain speed by skipping, I stop at the next charger, as it is almost always true that the charging rate is greater than the travel speed in my experience.

We also range charge at superchargers when we are taking a long break such as lunch, dinner or a nerf football game in the parking lot. ;-) We never range charge if we don't have to though, as that is a time waste if you need to get on the road.

My family travel rules : Always range charge to 100% before starting a long supercharger enabled trip, and for long stops (as above) and range charge whenever you stay at a destination charger overnight.

We have range charged our 2013 Tesla S 85 hundreds of times, and have almost no battery degradation (<3%) after ~100,000 km.

One potential cause of the Rivière-du-Loup Supercharger being completely down.. all 4 cabinets are pretty snowed in. Their lower vents are blocked on all 4 stacks.
IMG_6002.JPG