Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that some of the proposed stations now say "Target opening date to be confirmed" (eg North Bay) vs yesterday "Target opening by end of 2017"
And so we slip into that strange otherworldly dimension .... Tesla Time. I think they have realized just how important this build out is, but how can they possibly ramp up the installations as quickly as they plan? Even if they subcontract much of the work, as anyone knows, contractors seem to have as fluid a concept of time as Elon does.

Do you work downtown? There are quite a few parking garages on plugshare that have L2 charging.
I work from home and I travel, so my car will live in its parking spot at the condo, and the airport, mostly. Trips around town will be shuttling my kid to and from school, mostly, and trips out of town. I've used the Tesla destination charger at the Ritz Carlton before - valet and only $15 including parking & charge. The existing L2/L3 chargers and the chargers at Pearson will help me get through until the Supercharger shows up.

Or, you could speak to your neighbor...maybe they'd be open to placing a separate meter on their service, let you plug in, and pay them for the costs.
I have thought about this. It's a 120v outlet, so not worth the cost of a meter. I may approach the condo board to see about getting an outlet with meter installed at my parking spot, but it's expensive, and I think I'll be okay with the public options, again, the Supercharger being optimal.

I don't know that we can necessarily count on it being downtown - although I am probably guilty of starting that rumour. They seem to have put the Coming Soon markers wherever Google Maps puts the city name - and if you zoom in enough on Toronto that gets you to City Hall.

But how do you deal with the parking issue in Toronto? For a Tesla owner that needs 30-60 minutes of parking downtown this would be awesome - keep my car at less than 50%, drive downtown and get free parking and free electricity! Or would you still have to pay for parking even is you get fee charging? Either way they will really have to enforce the time limits.

They will have the same issue in Manhattan as there are currently no SCs on Manhattan but there are now three that are "Coming Soon"?
I noticed the "city centre" nature of the pins, too. With the high density of condos in Toronto, I suspect it makes most logical sense for Tesla to be looking to place the Supercharger somewhere in the core anyway. Anywhere outside of the core, most Tesla owners would have access to a plug. Regardless, where I'll be, the Lawrence Supercharger is a bit inconvenient due to traffic and distance. Anything closer will be a plus. That's why I picked up the CHAdeMO adapter. There are a couple of L3 options in the core.

My guess is that they will be situated in existing parking lots... so you'd pay the nominal parking fee and get your charge (on an older car) free.
Since it will just be Tesla owners parking there, I'm hoping there will be no parking charge. There is no occasion for non-Tesla's to park, but I suppose some owners could (and would) just squat on a Supercharger for the free parking, although the idle fee would discourage that. It would be nice to see access controlled by a gate and only opened by a Tesla via Homelink (I can't remember if every car has been built with Homelink or not).

Personally, I don't think any of the proposed sites in Canada will be ready this year!.
I agree. I'll be surprised if we see any before the end of the year, especially since the Model 3 won't make its way to Canada until next year anyway.

It's going to be an adventure. Especially for an owner who has enjoyed 3+ years of home charging. I may journal (ie. blog) my experience for the benefit of others. I know in places like Hong Kong there are a few owners in this situation, but I haven't seen a ton of documented experience (outside of posts here) in North America.

Even more than contractors, nothing will slow down a building controls bureaucrat more than a sense that the applicant is in a hurry. As these things become more common, then will need to be a more streamlined process. Unlike, say, a gas station, there is no environmental risk with a charging station.

Damn that's insane! All these new chargers in one year? Tesla put Brampton on the map <3. Love that St Catharines is getting one as well! Super handy as I make a trip there every week, won't have to stop in Grimsby anymore!

My guesses for a few:
Concord - That plaza with the hotel, McDonalds, and a few other restaurants on Highway 27 and Highway 7 (right off the 427).

Brampton - 410 and Steeles near/at the same plaza as the Costco/Walmart/HomeDepot and a bunch of restaurants and even a movie theatre!

St Catharines - Either Pen Centre or Fairview Mall area

Mississauga - Near Square One

Wow....Tesla has already started removing names off the just announced list.

Brampton for one is no longer on the list!

I wouldn't be surprised if all of them are taken off the list in Canada soon.
I would be surprised if any of them in Canada are built this year.
My opinion of course and anyone is entitled to my opinion!
I have been vocal in my disappointment at the removal of the Woodstock,NB, charger from the map after being on for years but even I think this is too cynical. It is one thing to disappointment a few Maritimers, where there are few Teslas, though there are at least a few displaced Maritimers in "Upper Canada", like my self, who are disappointed as well; but, I don't think that Tesla will piss off their major Canadian markets.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of them are taken off the list in Canada soon.
I would be surprised if any of them in Canada are built this year.
My opinion of course and anyone is entitled to my opinion!

I think you're being far too pessimistic. The rollout will fall short of our greatest expectations, but will solidly exceed your worst expectations.

Still there I think but location has been updated to Mississauga - Meadowvale. As discussed earlier in the thread, the new chargers were added based on their city centre and expect to be updated once Tesla has finalized the actual location.

I definitely wouldn't consider Meadowvale as part of brampton! I'm surprised though given the number of Tesla's I've seen in brampton (4 on my street alone) that Tesla decided to change the location already

I definitely wouldn't consider Meadowvale as part of brampton! I'm surprised though given the number of Tesla's I've seen in brampton (4 on my street alone) that Tesla decided to change the location already

Yeah it's kinda close but not exact. I'm guessing though that they'll place the SC in the 407/401/410 triangle... lots of areas near restaurants and easily accessible along the main travel corridors.

I'm in Waterloo and there are also quite a few Teslas around but nearest SC looks to be all the way over in Cambridge along the 401.

I don't know that they decided, I think that some people looked at the original map and saw one in Miss. and one further north that, when zoomed out, looks like it could be in Brampton. When you zoom in more you can see that it is smack dab in Meadowvale Village. But - these current points should be though of as placeholders of approximately where the SCs will actually be built. If you take the exact spot as gospel then those two SCs are only 8.5km apart. Putting one of them farther north near the 410 likely makes more sense, although the Meadowvale location is very convenient for travellers on either the 407 or 401 whereas the other one would work better for travellers on the 403 or QEW.

Reactions: Jaff
Yeah it's kinda close but not exact. I'm guessing though that they'll place the SC in the 407/401/410 triangle... lots of areas near restaurants and easily accessible along the main travel corridors.

I'm in Waterloo and there are also quite a few Teslas around but nearest SC looks to be all the way over in Cambridge along the 401.

I think I still would have thought of the 410 and Steeles area to be best just based on location of surroundings. Plus easily accessible from 410, 401 and 407.

I don't know that they decided, I think that some people looked at the original map and saw one in Miss. and one further north that, when zoomed out, looks like it could be in Brampton. When you zoom in more you can see that it is smack dab in Meadowvale Village. But - these current points should be though of as placeholders of approximately where the SCs will actually be built. If you take the exact spot as gospel then those two SCs are only 8.5km apart. Putting one of them farther north near the 410 likely makes more sense, although the Meadowvale location is very convenient for travellers on either the 407 or 401 whereas the other one would work better for travellers on the 403 or QEW.

"Brampton" was actually mentioned by city in the listing rather than the map previously which is why I found the change weird

I noticed this one as well. It doesn't make sense to me. The logical place would be in Cambridge somewhere along the 401, so that it can service traffic on the KWC to Toronto corridor.

If I had to guess, though, I suspect that it's not actually intended to go where it shows on the map. The person maintaining the map probably gets a list of cities, and they populate the map from that. Somebody in California, who doesn't the area, would logically plop it there.

If you are concerned, you might call the service center. They do talk (haphazardly I think) with the supercharger group.

Last edited:
Warning, 3A and 3B are down in Kingston today. At one point today, all 4 working stalls were taken and I saw a brown S drive away instead of waiting (I think he drove directly to Port Hope).

Tesla Support indicated they were aware of the problem and was getting someone on it right away (lip-service?).