Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon doesn't dismiss Canada. AFAIK he still has Canadian citizenship. However, in order to appear as impartial as possible he has to slight places he has lived. There are no Superchargers in South Africa. Kingston was coming soon for a year and a half and Saskatchewan has nothing, then there's Pennsylvania which is second to last in North America in Superchargers if you use the metric (Rank # of SpC - Population rank). Last on the same scale is Quebec where Elon first stepped off a plane in America. :)

Last edited:
It's based on the above-mentioned system of population rank - Supercharger rank.

This graph is from last year, but the situation hasn't changed too much since.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/state-sc-counts-vs-population-jpg.174062/
I call BS on that graph - they list provinces and states that do not currently have any SCs. I can see SK, NS, NB, NL and ND on that graph yet none of those states/provinces have SCs yet. So how can they be better than QC and several states? And PE isn't on the graph at all.

edit - I found the source for the graph here but it doesn't seem to explain how they deal with jurisdictions with 0 SCs.

Last edited:
But QC has > 0 SCs per million people. All jurisdictions with 0 SCs have 0 SCs per million people. Any jurisdiction with a SC does better than that. Even if QC had only one SC it would have 1 SC per 8 million people. SK has 0 SCs per million people. How is that not worse?

I was disappointed when Tesla changed their mind on the Woodstock, NB supercharger. It was on the 2016 map for a new supercharger but not on the 2017 supercharger map or the new expansion list.

For those traveling in Atlantic Canada range anxiety is a much bigger issue - it requires a lot more planning if you want to visit or travel in this part of Canada.

The Woodstock, NB would have helped to reduce some of the range anxiety issues. It would be really nice if there were a few Superchargers (even small installations) in Atlantic Canada to provid coverage for those individuals whose would love to visit or travel in Atlantic Canada.

Thoughts/comments?

But QC has > 0 SCs per million people. All jurisdictions with 0 SCs have 0 SCs per million people. Any jurisdiction with a SC does better than that. Even if QC had only one SC it would have 1 SC per 8 million people. SK has 0 SCs per million people. How is that not worse?

I don't see how it's worse considering the low density of Teslas in the region. Not having a Supercharger in SK inconveniences some. Not having a Supercharger in Lévis/QC City (was on the 2015 map) inconveniences a lot more drivers.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I was disappointed when Tesla changed their mind on the Woodstock, NB supercharger. It was on the 2016 map for a new supercharger but not on the 2017 supercharger map or the new expansion list.

For those traveling in Atlantic Canada range anxiety is a much bigger issue - it requires a lot more planning if you want to visit or travel in this part of Canada.

The Woodstock, NB would have helped to reduce some of the range anxiety issues. It would be really nice if there were a few Superchargers (even small installations) in Atlantic Canada to provid coverage for those individuals whose would love to visit or travel in Atlantic Canada.

Thoughts/comments?
That Woodstock, NB was in the ideal spot for a first SC in the Maritimes. Myself, and a few others on this forum were very disappointed by the deletion of it after such a long time in anticipation of it being built. I may have put off getting my Model S by a few years if I had not believed in the eminent construction of the Woodstock, NB and Riviére du Loup chargers, not that I don't love the car and everything else about the company. And there definitely is some solace in the announcement by NB Power of their ChaDeMo build out scheduled for this year.

That Woodstock, NB was in the ideal spot for a first SC in the Maritimes. Myself, and a few others on this forum were very disappointed by the deletion of it after such a long time in anticipation of it being built. I may have put off getting my Model S by a few years if I had not believed in the eminent construction of the Woodstock, NB and Riviére du Loup chargers, not that I don't love the car and everything else about the company. And there definitely is some solace in the announcement by NB Power of their ChaDeMo build out scheduled for this year.

I was not aware of the NB Power announcement, this is some good news! We are planning a trip in September to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in our new Tesla which I hoping we will have soon. Now I am hopefully some of the new infrastructure is in place by that time we visit in September....fingers crossed.

I did some research, it appears to be supported by the Federnal Governement through their Green Infrastructure program, do you know if any of the other Atlantic provinces are participating, that would make travel in this area at least more manageable than using the current level two infrastructure.

I hopeful that Newfoundland will start to improve its structure too as we really want to visit friends and family in the near future and would love to be able to do it using our Tesla over an ICE vehicle.

I was not aware of the NB Power announcement, this is some good news! We are planning a trip in September to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia in our new Tesla which I hoping we will have soon. Now I am hopefully some of the new infrastructure is in place by that time we visit in September....fingers crossed.

I did some research, it appears to be supported by the Federnal Governement through their Green Infrastructure program, do you know if any of the other Atlantic provinces are participating, that would make travel in this area at least more manageable than using the current level two infrastructure.

I hopeful that Newfoundland will start to improve its structure too as we really want to visit friends and family in the near future and would love to be able to do it using our Tesla over an ICE vehicle.
As far as I know it is just NB so far. I would love to see more in the other Atlantic provinces.
Make sure you have a ChaDeMo adapter if you are coming down and the NB build has occurred.
Tell me, how do you drive from Labrador city? Through Québec or Newfoundland? You can send me a reply via a private email discussion as this is not Supercharger related (other than your first comment, on the abortion of the NB Supercharger, of course!)

Last edited:
I'm still of the belief that there will still be no more Canadian SC'rs this year in Canada!
I should make a bet with Tesla. If I win, I get a new 2018 Model S P100D. If I lose, Tesla gets a hand crafted signature of mine on one of their coffee cups they can display in their office.
Sounds like a fair deal to me! Lol!

anyone know where the one in Belleville is going to be? It's kind of half way between Toronto and Montreal and a zone already covered by Port Hope and Kingston on either side of it...seems a weird choice as you're only about 200 kms from port hope to kingston SC.

Isnt' the population there only about 50,000?

Belleville is a good location as it spreads out the charging infrastructure. For me, coming from Hamilton, Port Hope is a little too close (always arrive with plenty of charge) and stopping in Belleville could allow me faster charging (charge bottom of battery) and possibly skip Kingston and go directly to Cornwall.

Regardless, having more options is always good, rather than just doubling the number of chargers at one particular location. I agree that Ottawa, Quebec City, etc. are more important locations, but there are so many factors that have to line up for the station to get built-out. They may have more difficulty in larger cities obtaining a good location (near freeways) and all the required permits. Ottawa seems particularly difficult when it comes to regulations and permits. They have sooo many by-laws.

Belleville.. gosh, there are some pretty underserved areas out there in far worse shape than the midway point between Port Hope and Kingston.

Ottawa, Quebec City, Mississauga.. to say nothing of the entire of Atlantic Canada basically having no fast charging.
Ryan - didn't you see the list of "coming soon" SCs that Tesla announced a month or so ago. Belleville is on the coming soon list, just like Mississauga, Brampton, Ottawa, Toronto and whole bunch other locations. I believe it is 17 or 18 locations on this list for Ontario alone. There are actually fewer highway SCs on this list, the bulk of them are in urban areas, especially the 8 in the GTA.