Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to disagree with you here. I think back in April they claimed there would be 750+ supercharger locations completed by the end of the year in the US and we are at 407. 750 clearly isn't going to happen. I'd be surprised if they get to 500. And they were at 350-380 ish when they made that claim so it's not like 407 is huge progress.

Well that's 100X what was installed in Canada so far this year. So yeah, it's going gangbusters down there.

Reactions: Jaff
Except in Canada, we were supposed to get a great deal of them built before New year's and we've had only two finished since the big announcement, Nanaimo and Edmonton. Quebec City is under construction, has been for months and a 3rd SC in the greater Montreal area is currently under construction.
I think Elon would have better believability if he sold his yet to be released "Musk Oil" fragrance in Nordstrom's!
My point is the build out in the US has disappointed every bit as much as the build out in Canada. They often miss their targets by 2 or more years. But we are getting used to it lol.

Reactions: mrElbe
When the large volumes of Model 3's arrive the whole dream of hundred of thousands of new orders comes to a halt when most existing Superchargers become long lines of frustrated waiting Tesla owners. Imagine with what glee the ev haters will flog that horse. That is how important the build out of the charging infrastructure is. It is not a sideshow, it is literally the future of the company. We are no longer talking about ev enthusiasts now, We are talking about convincing the skeptical general public about buying ev's. They have to get this going, and relatively soon! Once the current 400,000 + reservation holders for Model 3 have their cars, these Superchargers better be going up fast. Tesla will need the positive publicity of the public seeing Supercharger construction nearby in their local papers and newscasts to sell the tens of thousands new cars a month they plan on building for non-ev enthusiasts.

Reactions: Imafrog
When the large volumes of Model 3's arrive the whole dream of hundred of thousands of new orders comes to a halt when most existing Superchargers become long lines of frustrated waiting Tesla owners. Imagine with what glee the ev haters will flog that horse. That is how important the build out of the charging infrastructure is. It is not a sideshow, it is literally the future of the company. We are no longer talking about ev enthusiasts now, We are talking about convincing the skeptical general public about buying ev's. They have to get this going, and relatively soon! Once the current 400,000 + reservation holders for Model 3 have their cars, these Superchargers better be going up fast. Tesla will need the positive publicity of the public seeing Supercharger construction nearby in their local papers and newscasts to sell the tens of thousands new cars a month they plan on building for non-ev enthusiasts.
Totally agree with this.

I think it depends on location.

Superchargers for M3 won't be free, and depending on the cost, there are reasonable alternatives in some markets. For example in Québec, we are at 89 CHAdeMO installed and 109 more in the plans, at 10$/h. It's not as fast, but they are all over the place. The same would apply to Ontario if KSI doesn't mess up.

My point is the build out in the US has disappointed every bit as much as the build out in Canada. They often miss their targets by 2 or more years. But we are getting used to it lol.

Nah, your buildout is a couple of orders of magnitude larger. It may be disappointing for you, but it's still way better than here. Podunksville NY is better served than all of Ontario.

Totally agree with this.
I have to say I don't remember much from my university queueing theory course 30 years ago, but there's something about poisson arrival rates and such that makes me not too worried about supercharger lineups. I supercharged 68 times on a big road trip this summer and about 160 times total over 4 years and the only time I've ever had to wait (for about 10 minutes) was when a 4-stall location was actually a 2-stall location because 2 were dead. The likelihood of waiting goes down very fast as you add stalls to a location, or add locations along a busy route. Adding x% to the existing stalls reduces the likelihood of waiting WAY more than x%.

North America is mostly "covered" now - you can get from A to B via superchargers, with some notable exceptions like Atlantic Canada, Alberta through Ontario, North Dakota, etc. So the challenge now is to handle increasing usage of the SCs. I'd love to see some real math about this, but my feeling is that doubling the number of SC stalls (promised for 1 year but likely within 3) would adequately handle an increase of something like 10x the number of cars on the road.

Can anyone who knows the queueing / statistics theory explain this better?

The population is a couple orders of magnitude larger.

No. The US population is a little less than 10X that of Canada. That is ONE order of magnitude.

It's been a while, but I remember looking it up and there were more superchargers per Tesla in Canada than there are in the US.

There are 30 Superchargers in Canada, if you count two under construction. 450 locations are listed for the USA. So from a population perspective, we're a bit behind. From a geographic perspective, we're far behind.

But we were talking about the 2017 rollout. In the USA a total of 71 new Superchargers have opened, and there are another 45 in permit or construction phases. Meanwhile in Canada, 4 have been opened and 2 are under construction.

Reactions: Jaff and vandacca
No. The US population is a little less than 10X that of Canada. That is ONE order of magnitude.

There are 30 Superchargers in Canada, if you count two under construction. 450 locations are listed for the USA. So from a population perspective, we're a bit behind. From a geographic perspective, we're far behind.

But we were talking about the 2017 rollout. In the USA a total of 71 new Superchargers have opened, and there are another 45 in permit or construction phases. Meanwhile in Canada, 4 have been opened and 2 are under construction.
How many Teslas have been sold in Canada?

And possibly a bigger question, how many will be sold there by the end of 2018?

@Gen3, I totally agree, Tesla is going to prioritize as they see fit. Fair enough. And they're always going to be slower than their plans suggest. No surprise.

Last year the Canadian Supercharger network finally reached a minimum critical mass in some provinces. This year they promised an even more aggressive rollout and then didn't do it. And now they double down on next year. Not sure what to make of it.

Electric Vehicle Sales In Canada, Q2 2017

Looks like about 8000 teslas in canada to date. I wish the rollout here would happen faster, but I think Tesla is prioritizing where the most cars are or will be, and supercharger wait times.
They also have decided to deliver the Model 3s to the US prior to Canada. I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this forum, but trying to keep things in perspective.

They also have decided to deliver the Model 3s to the US prior to Canada. I hate to be the bearer of bad news on this forum, but trying to keep things in perspective.
Personally I have never bought a brand new model of any car. At least wait a year for them to get the kinks out. By the time the roll out hits Canada the timing should be just right.:cool:

Reactions: ZsoZso
The population is a couple orders of magnitude larger.

It's been a while, but I remember looking it up and there were more superchargers per Tesla in Canada than there are in the US.

For some additional perspective on population (market):

Washington State = 7.5 Million people, #superchargers = 8, #stores/service centres = 4
Ontario = 14 Million people (95% are in Southern Ontario), #superchargers = 10. #stores/service centres = 4

Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area= 907K people, #stores/service centres = 4
Ottawa = 947K people, #stores/service centres = 0

It seems the Ontario market is underserved. The good thing is there are good growth opportunities in Ontario when Tesla decides to capitalize. The problem is our weak dollar makes Tesla's very expensive although they have come down recently.