Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
***Kingston Update***
Just got an email from my Kingston Economic Development Corporation contact who had been on holidays till yesterday....
Planning has been submitted to have the Kingston SC across the road at the Phase 1 area of Kings Crossing Shopping center. This is the outlet area that has a Boston Pizza and a hotel. Also adjacent to Pizza Hut, Swiss Chalet, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, and Dairy Queen. Walking distance to McDonalds, Harvey's, Tim Horton's, Canadian Tire, No Frills, Shoppers Drug, Dollar Store, Dominos Pizza, Mr. Sub, Arbys, Subway, and of course just across the street from Phase 2 which will have Paneros, and more shopping. She said timing is the issue and Phase 2 will not be completed when Tesla wants the SC done.

Great news! Hopefully I can report activity in the coming weeks!!!
Thats a great location! Next to the 401 and the wonderful Perth Rd #10. Perfect!

I recently took highway 15 from Ottawa to Kingston for the first time - just for a change. Boy did I regret it - lots of grooved pavement - lots of construction.

I note that Tesla has been installing a number of HPWCs out west (in places such as Vancouver, Victoria and Whistler), where the Superchargers have not yet been built. See:

http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/...132.932346,d?search=supercharger,&place=dc373
http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-inte...e-supercharger-teslas-other-charging-network/
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/09/04/tesla-quietly-installing-higher-speed-non-supercharger-network/

Could Tesla install a few HPWCs along the 401 (between Toronto and Cornwall) to bridge us to the Kingston Supercharger? And also between Toronto and Detroit, until the Superchargers have been built out along the 401 west route.

I for one would gladly patronize any business that would host a HPWC (and would be pleased to pay for the power as well).

Thoughts?

If some hotels or other establishments decide to install HPWCs (maybe supplied no-cost by Tesla), that would give us some more L2 charging options, which would be welcome, but they would only be marginally faster than the existing Sun Country Highway stations, and that's only if they put them on 100A circuits vs. the 90A circuits that the Kingston and Cobourg SCH stations are on. What we really need is the Kingston supercharger: 120kW vs. 15 to 16 kW for the existing stations or HPWCs. I'd rather see Tesla focus on superchargers.

If some hotels or other establishments decide to install HPWCs (maybe supplied no-cost by Tesla), that would give us some more L2 charging options, which would be welcome, but they would only be marginally faster than the existing Sun Country Highway stations, and that's only if they put them on 100A circuits vs. the 90A circuits that the Kingston and Cobourg SCH stations are on. What we really need is the Kingston supercharger: 120kW vs. 15 to 16 kW for the existing stations or HPWCs. I'd rather see Tesla focus on superchargers.

I agree....to me, L2 charging just isn't worth the hassle if its not at an attraction or destination point. I won't add 2-3 hours to my journey unless I have an event near that L2.

Curious to see what the 2015 supercharger map will look like once they add more stations. Would be nice to see something near Pembroke / Deep River area as well as North Bay (once they're done with 401 priorities).

Please, excuse my skepticism, but IMHO, the 2015 supercharger map will look exactly the same for Canada as the 2014 supercharger map looks right now. If we are lucky, those stations may actually get all installed during 2015...

I trust Tesla that they will deliver what they promised, but I do not trust their time-line estimates.
There is Special Relativity, General Relativity and Elon-time Relativity. ;)

Please, excuse my skepticism, but IMHO, the 2015 supercharger map will look exactly the same for Canada as the 2014 supercharger map looks right now. If we are lucky, those stations may actually get all installed during 2015...

I trust Tesla that they will deliver what they promised, but I do not trust their time-line estimates.
There is Special Relativity, General Relativity and Elon-time Relativity. ;)

Agreed! The Kingston Supercharger is now at least a year late (I had planned to use it last year and a number of times this year). There is currently no record of any permit, let alone any signs of construction on that location. See:

http://www.teslarati.com/interactive-tesla-supercharger-map/

Tesla is pursuing a two-prong approach of Superchargers along the road and destination charging (HPWCs) at hotels, etc. The latter initiative is perhaps less well-known, but is also very important as it is complimentary to the Superchargers: super fast charging along the road, overnight charging at your destination. Also they can distribute those chargers far and wide for much less money than the Superchargers, which means many "lesser" routes will get covered. It's all about making charging ubiquitous and as convenient as possible.

As everyone has said, the Kingston Supercharger is absolutely key to the Ontario network, and it's pretty clear that Tesla is fully aware of this. Great to hear that they're implementing a Plan B, and that it's still at 401/Division Street/Perth Road. Perfect location!

Yeah, I travelled Hwy #15 a few weeks ago up to Smith's Falls...lots of construction ...will be nice when it's all done though...I am working on getting a 100 amp charge station installed in the Smith's Falls area...

Thats a great location! Next to the 401 and the wonderful Perth Rd #10. Perfect!

I recently took highway 15 from Ottawa to Kingston for the first time - just for a change. Boy did I regret it - lots of grooved pavement - lots of construction.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it really depends on why you're travelling ("L2 charging just isn't worth the hassle")...I can understand your feeling if you need to get from A to B at a specific time i.e. business appointment or something along those lines, but, I have done thousands of kms in the last 3.5 years using L2 charging exclusively and high amperage L2 is perfectly fine providing you have a reasonable schedule, high amp L2 charging resources available, and the take the time to plan things out...

I agree....to me, L2 charging just isn't worth the hassle if its not at an attraction or destination point. I won't add 2-3 hours to my journey unless I have an event near that L2.

As a new member and soon to be owner of our "S", have noted that several owners prefer taking Route 10 to Kingston which enters Kingston at Division Street, right near future SC Station.

We tried route today on our return to Ottawa from Kingston. It was a very scenic route and trip took us about the same time as using HWY 15. Fortunately we were not held up by very slow vehicles as there are few places to pass from Kingston to Westport.

Travelling through Perth on Route 10 reminds me of the trip we have usually taken through Smith Falls using route 15. Does anyone know of a short cut to avoid travelling through Perth to continue on 10 to Franktown. Perth is a lovely town and worth seeing but on those occasions where you want to reach Kingston or Ottawa as quickly as possible it would be nice to know a route that avoids the lights in Perth.

Thanks

Depends where you're coming from, I guess, but if you're coming into Perth via Highway 7 or County Road 10, you have to go through town to get to 10 going South. Check Google Maps for options. Coming from Barrhaven, I usually take County Road 10 to Franktown and then Highway 15 through Smiths Falls rather than 10 all the way. It's very close to the same distance and I find the road is a bit better.

BTW, this thread is where this topic is discussed: Driving Between Ottawa and Toronto