Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SCs at the Tesla Lawrence Centre are getting very busy. They were all occupied when we got there on a recent trip. On a previous trip, we waited quite a while before going into the service centre to talk to someone. The sales manager moved one of the demos to make a spot available for us. Part of the problem is that the service centre uses the SCs for charging vehicles which they are servicing or preparing for delivery which is on the increase.

We really need a SC station off the 401 in the Cobourg area for intercity travellers. It will also make travelling between Kingston and GTA easier especially in the winter. In February, in -25 C weather, we had to do a full trip charge in Kingston to make sure that we had enough energy to get to Tesla Lawrence. My greatest concern under such conditions has been potential detours off the 401 due to accidents or weather problems. I imagine that a Cobourg area SC would be very helpful for 60 and 70 kWh vehicles.

The SCs at the Tesla Lawrence Centre are getting very busy. They were all occupied when we got there on a recent trip. On a previous trip, we waited quite a while before going into the service centre to talk to someone. The sales manager moved one of the demos to make a spot available for us. Part of the problem is that the service centre uses the SCs for charging vehicles which they are servicing or preparing for delivery which is on the increase.

We really need a SC station off the 401 in the Cobourg area for intercity travellers. It will also make travelling between Kingston and GTA easier especially in the winter. In February, in -25 C weather, we had to do a full trip charge in Kingston to make sure that we had enough energy to get to Tesla Lawrence. My greatest concern under such conditions has been potential detours off the 401 due to accidents or weather problems. I imagine that a Cobourg area SC would be very helpful for 60 and 70 kWh vehicles.

I just came from Toronto and I totally agree with you. 4 were occupied at 12 AM when I arrived to Toronto from Kingston, which was really surprizing to me. Also, if I'm driving from Mississauga or anywhere west of Toronto for example to Kingston, it's really not ideal to detour to the Toronto supercharger during the day. It took me forever on Sunday when it was raining.

Cobourg is a must!

Had similar issue the other day when I went to the Montreal SC for a quick recharge. The only 2 stall outside was busy with Dealer car. I didn't know at first so I plugged in the L2 jack. After going next to the SC itself, I heard it was in very low power operation (fan turning at it minimum speed), so the car were finish charging or very little left. So I check the plate and saw it was dealer. I went inside and asked if they could moved their car. They said they needed them to be fully charged for their trip. I asked them to move their car to the L2 charger since they were under the L2 17kW charging speed for sure, but said only that they would be leaving in 5 minutes. About 5 min later, another rep asked if I wanted to charged so he moved one of the car. It would have made more sense to have use the 2 charger inside instead. Or charge 1 car at a time leaving a chance for a owner to SuperCharge.

So this scenario probably happen at every Tesla store where SC are presents.

So I wouldn't be surprise that the SC would be use by sales and service

Not at all sure it's selfish...many of us here would like to get Cobourg a Supercharger to avoid stopping in Toronto...:wink::biggrin:
And I'll add my vote here (again) for a Supercharger in Cobourg. It just seems to make sense in that it would serve the customers west of Toronto trying to get to Kingston. Especially helpful if Lawrence is starting to get crowded. swrving brings up another supportive point in that there is a substantial cottage area east and north of the city that Cobourg would benifit.

I am near end of my first trip - Ottawa to Grand Bend - with several visits to Toronto SC as my brother lives in Toronto. I did not have trouble connecting to superchargers when I was in Toronto but they were busy. Several new cars were being charged and it appeared that several local Toronto area owners were using SC for a quick local charge. Most of them did not leave their car while it was charging and appeared to be working from their driver seat!

I also support Coburg as a Supercharger location. With about 145 Km from Woodstock to Toronto and 245 from Toronto to Kingston, Coburg makes a good middle of the road location. Make certain you use Victoria Park rather than Don Valley Parkway to access Lawrence SC. I can see that Coburg would make life a lot easier during the winter.

The other supercharger stations I used were quiet - Kingston coming and going (only one user during first visit on Wed last week - he was heading to Ottawa from Toronto); no one there during second visit today.

Woodstock was also quiet - no one there on Sunday morning and one new owner ( had the car for a week) from Woodstock was there today.

Had similar issue the other day when I went to the Montreal SC for a quick recharge. The only 2 stall outside was busy with Dealer car. I didn't know at first so I plugged in the L2 jack. After going next to the SC itself, I heard it was in very low power operation (fan turning at it minimum speed), so the car were finish charging or very little left. So I check the plate and saw it was dealer. I went inside and asked if they could moved their car. They said they needed them to be fully charged for their trip. I asked them to move their car to the L2 charger since they were under the L2 17kW charging speed for sure, but said only that they would be leaving in 5 minutes. About 5 min later, another rep asked if I wanted to charged so he moved one of the car. It would have made more sense to have use the 2 charger inside instead. Or charge 1 car at a time leaving a chance for a owner to SuperCharge.

So this scenario probably happen at every Tesla store where SC are presents.

So I wouldn't be surprise that the SC would be use by sales and service

This would be much worse in Montreal because there are only four stalls (only two publicly accessible). Toronto has many more stalls.

You should report this to Tesla at [email protected], or call the number on the pedestal. Complain about the lack of availability. If enough people do that, maybe the service center will be instructed to be more accommodating of owners, or maybe they'll actually put in an adequate supercharger station elsewhere in the Montreal area. It's much more likely for the problem to be solved if you tell Tesla about it.

I am near end of my first trip - Ottawa to Grand Bend - with several visits to Toronto SC as my brother lives in Toronto. I did not have trouble connecting to superchargers when I was in Toronto but they were busy. Several new cars were being charged and it appeared that several local Toronto area owners were using SC for a quick local charge. Most of them did not leave their car while it was charging and appeared to be working from their driver seat!

I also support Coburg as a Supercharger location. With about 145 Km from Woodstock to Toronto and 245 from Toronto to Kingston, Coburg makes a good middle of the road location. Make certain you use Victoria Park rather than Don Valley Parkway to access Lawrence SC. I can see that Coburg would make life a lot easier during the winter.

The other supercharger stations I used were quiet - Kingston coming and going (only one user during first visit on Wed last week - he was heading to Ottawa from Toronto); no one there during second visit today.

Woodstock was also quiet - no one there on Sunday morning and one new owner ( had the car for a week) from Woodstock was there today.

I'll be in Toronto in July. Why do you recommend using the Victoria Park over Don Valley Parkway to get to the charger?

It really depends on the time of day but if you are coming from the east you are going about 1.5 km to far west to get to the DVP. People deride the DVP but when there isn't much traffic and you are going southbound it is a great twisting drive as the Toronto skyline comes into view around the Leaside and Bloor bridges.

I'm holding up both hands...and one leg... to vote for Cobourg. I've been waiting for this one since the day I bought the car in March 2003...when a dot for Cobourg used to be on the SC map...then went away after a few months...then came back. Lately, this thread had been getting pretty quiet about Cobourg, but it is clear that we have many, many votes to support the location. I really wish we would get some sign from Tesla that work will begin right away.

Last edited: