Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno. It seems crystal clear to me that routes to the southwest of Toronto are undeserved. There is no real way to travel the 402 to Sarnia

Really? It's only 290 km from Toronto to Sarnia. You can do it without any Superchargers at all. Now that there's a Supercharger in Woodstock, only 167 km away, Sarnia isn't far at all. If you're talking about continuing on in Michigan - well, for now you have to go through Detroit.

I can understand seeing lots of places near where you live would be better off with Superchargers, but I don't buy the argument that this is a priority. We will disagree on this until such time as there are Superchargers all over the place, at which point this will all just seem like a lot of pointless angst. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure that must be old imaginary. I was down to Detroit almost exactly a year ago and there was only a small stretch of 2 lane (each way) well down past Chatham as best I can recall. Lots of highway construction in the Windsor area too. In fact, the same map still shows the Speedsville Rd. bridge over the 401 in Cambridge, but that was torn down a while ago in preparation for 401 widening through the Waterloo Region.

You are correct, of course the imagery is almost never right up to date. I did the trip last summer, and I recall some of the 401 west of London being 4 lane but I don't know exactly how much.

Boy, it was painful transitioning from the U.S. Supercharger route to Ontario with no Superchargers at all at the time.

Really? It's only 290 km from Toronto to Sarnia. You can do it without any Superchargers at all. Now that there's a Supercharger in Woodstock, only 167 km away, Sarnia isn't far at all. If you're talking about continuing on in Michigan - well, for now you have to go through Detroit.

I can understand seeing lots of places near where you live would be better off with Superchargers, but I don't buy the argument that this is a priority. We will disagree on this until such time as there are Superchargers all over the place, at which point this will all just seem like a lot of pointless angst. :)

You are correct, of course the imagery is almost never right up to date. I did the trip last summer, and I recall some of the 401 west of London being 4 lane but I don't know exactly how much.

Boy, it was painful transitioning from the U.S. Supercharger route to Ontario with no Superchargers at all at the time.
Agreed. Top priority should be the 250km gaps before providing alternate routes. Not too sure how well traveled the sarnia crossing/402 is compared to the windsor crossing/401

Just passed through there today (currently in Indiana) and I stand corrected. The 401 does drop down to 2 lanes each way after the 402 cutoff, but widens back up to 3 around Chatham. They're doing a huge extension to the 401 through Windsor so that you don't have so far to drive on surface streets, and it looks like it will open any day now.

- - - Updated - - -

Not too sure how well traveled the sarnia crossing/402 is compared to the windsor crossing/401

Twice I've crossed at Detroit and it was a breeze. Barely any delay at all at the Ambassador Bridge (I was quite surprised at this). I've crossed at Sarnia many times in the ICE and there have always been huge delays there. Not sure if that correlates to traffic or just crappy border services at Sarnia.

Agreed. Top priority should be the 250km gaps before providing alternate routes. Not too sure how well traveled the sarnia crossing/402 is compared to the windsor crossing/401

Ontario border crossings

The Windsor-Detroit Gateway is Canada's busiest land border crossing. It has four crossing points:

1. The Ambassador Bridge connects Huron Church Road (Windsor) with I-75 and I-96 in Detroit, Michigan.
  2. The Windsor-Detroit Tunnel, at Goyeau Street (Windsor) and Jefferson Avenue (Detroit) provides connections to Ontario's Highway 401 via Dougall Avenue and the Michigan Interstate System via I-375 (Chrysler Freeway) and M-10 (John C. Lodge Freeway).
  3. The Detroit-Windsor Truck Ferry, for commercial and HAZMAT (hazardous materials) trucks only, at Sprucewood Avenue (Windsor) and West Jefferson Avenue (Detroit) provides connections to Ontario's Highway 401 and the Michigan Interstate System.
  4. Michigan Central Railway Tunnel, for freight trains only, connects Windsor with Detroit via a tunnel under the Detroit River.
In 2012, the Gateway handled $91.6 billion (or 28.2%) of road trade between Canada and the U.S. with more than $250 million in commodities travelling through the Windsor-Detroit Gateway each day.

vs

The Blue Water Bridge connects Highway 402 in Sarnia, Ontario with U.S. Interstates I-68 and I-94 in Port Huron, Michigan.
This is Canada's second-busiest crossing for commercial traffic, with over 1.5 million trucks and $42.2 billion in road trade annually. This translates to over 4,400 trucks each day carrying $116 million in goods.

According to BTS | Border Crossing/Entry Data: Quick Search by Rankings

if ranked by # of personal vehicles, and considering the border with Canada only, Detroit is #3 and Port Huron (Sarnia) is #4. (#1 is Buffalo/Niagara Falls, #2 is Blaine, WA - the border south of Vancouver, BC).

3MI: Detroit 380120144,027,4277,049,603
4MI: Port Huron 380220141,975,7503,864,165

Twice I've crossed at Detroit and it was a breeze. Barely any delay at all at the Ambassador Bridge (I was quite surprised at this). I've crossed at Sarnia many times in the ICE and there have always been huge delays there. Not sure if that correlates to traffic or just crappy border services at Sarnia.
Who knows, probably depends on who's working (or not working!) and if their spouse gave them a hard time before leaving the house leading them to take it out on some poor SOB...lol

Be careful when looking for the amount of traffic a certain location have to see if it worth while to have a SuperCharger there.

Take Montreal Champlain Bridge, it the most used bridge in Canada... But most of it is local traffic who don't need a SuperCharger..

Those talk about border crossing like Detroit is mostly local traffic from both side doing local travelling.

What I want is news about Riviere-du-Loup SuperCharger !!! Anyone have any ?

The two CHAdeMO stations planned for Quebec City are now open. 2327 Blvd du Versant Nord and 444 rue Bouvier. Naturally, they're not as good as the planned Supercharger site across the river in Lévis, but > 40 kW is always welcome.

On another note, TM now also has a kiosque with two representatives in the city, at Place Ste-Foy.

BTW, slightly related to this, this Saturday, really close to the Supercharger is the "RAVÉ 2015", an event where volunteers will give info and test drives of various EVs along with conferences and the type of thing you would get in a "EV group event"

I'll be there with my Model S - giving test drives to visitors. If anyone's around, drop by and we can have a chat ;)

(In French only)
RAVÉ 2015 | RAVÉ

The two CHAdeMO stations planned for Quebec City are now open. 2327 Blvd du Versant Nord and 444 rue Bouvier. Naturally, they're not as good as the planned Supercharger site across the river in Lévis, but > 40 kW is always welcome.

On another note, TM now also has a kiosque with two representatives in the city, at Place Ste-Foy.

Yay! I'll be in Quebec City next month, CHAdeMO adapter in hand. Actually, I booked a room at the Port Royal hotel because they have a charger in their parking lot. It's only a J1772 but it is a Sun Country Highway, so I hope it's at least 40 amps. OTOH, I'll be there three nights and expect to be mostly walking during the day, so there should be plenty of time to charge overnight. Still, using the CHAdeMO is fun, and it's good to have choices.

That is excellent news. The Electric Circuit seems to have a good notification system for members because I did get an email notifying me about the new ChaDeMo's. Will definitely use the Blvd du Versant Nord one on my way to the Maritimes in a few weeks time since the ChaDeMo for La Pocatiere is still not available. Is my understanding correct in stating that the one planned for La Pocatiere will NOT be a part of the Electric Circuit system?

Great news! Congratulations on the opening of the Buffalo Supercharger. This opens up a more convenient route to the US NE from the GTA.

Can someone please update http://supercharge.info/ and http://www.plugshare.com/

Let's get the word out

Indeed good news. I believe the PlugShare folks themselves have to update Superchargers, and likely get the data from Tesla when they update their own maps. The creator/owner of supercharge.info is a member of these forums, so I would expect that update to happen quickly.

For the first time I've seen, a Tesla representative, Communications director Will Nichols, mentioned the possibility of a Supercharger site in Nova Scotia.

French only: http://novae.ca/actualites/entrevue/juin-2015/tesla-conquerir-le-marche-quebecois

Cliffs:

55 destination charging sites in Canada. 25 more approved and coming soon.
Store coming to Quebec City by 2016 (there is currently a kiosque open with a short-term lease in a mall there.)
Tesla looking at potential Supercharger sites around Quebec City, as well as in New Brunswick and in Nova Scotia.

For the first time I've seen, a Tesla representative, Communications director Will Nichols, mentioned the possibility of a Supercharger site in Nova Scotia.

French only: http://novae.ca/actualites/entrevue/juin-2015/tesla-conquerir-le-marche-quebecois

Cliffs:

55 destination charging sites in Canada. 25 more approved and coming soon.
Store coming to Quebec City by 2016 (there is currently a kiosque open with a short-term lease in a mall there.)
Tesla looking at potential Supercharger sites around Quebec City, as well as in New Brunswick and in Nova Scotia.
This is awesome. The first time I took a trip with my Model S I specifically looked for a hotel in Montreal with a destination charger. I am sure that happens a fair amount. For the limited expense it has to be a good investment for any place putting one in.
And it is great news to hear about SC's coming to Quebec City, NB, and NS, presumably within the next year, I hope!
And the Buffalo SC is up and running.

Nothing but good news today on this forum.