Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good News! NOT a supercharger, however I have been informed by the Mayor that the Town Council in Annapolis Royal has unanimously approved the installation of Destination Chargers in Annapolis Royal. That is all the information I have. I do not know exactly where or when or how many Amps... but the town has been in contact with Tesla previously and will now move ahead.

This is a strategic location for those choosing to use the St. John / Digby Ferry to cross the Bay Of Fundy to come to NS instead of the drive through Moncton. Depending on where you are coming from in Canada and where you want to go in NS, this can be a very substantial Km saver, and Annapolis Royal is a great town with a world famous Botanic Garden as well as shops and good restaurants. I do not live there but I visit and am very excited that this is happening.

Interesting......

Now that Tesla has posted the fees for Super Chargers ( For cars bought after January 15, 2017), it lists the costs per Province.

Hidden in the matrix - is that Nova Scotia has a fee listed.
No Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or New Brunswick (sorry folks)

I guess we might see an SC in Truro or Halfax (?)
Supercharging

Interesting......

Now that Tesla has posted the fees for Super Chargers ( For cars bought after January 15, 2017), it lists the costs per Province.

Supercharging

Beat me to it! I just saw this this morning (and excitedly texted another forum member).

The interesting thing is that no prices are listed for NB (or PEI, NL, MB, or SK). That COULD mean those provinces allow resale of electricity by kWh, but that would imply Tesla should have listed their prices per kWh, like they did with states in the US that allow electricity resale.

But the code structure on the US and Canadian pages is different--in the Canadian version it's just a flat table where the US version populates a drop-down list showing most states.

From casual viewing though I think the Canadian version is still being generated by the server on page load--I do not think it is a static part of the actual page content. That would make sense because they would want to update it eventually or at least use the same page templates for all (English speaking) locales and just drop the prices into the right spot. If I were designing the pages, I would save the price info separately in a database and call it on page load, based on locale of the browser.

Anyway, in the US, states that currently have no superchargers (ND, AR, AK, HI) are NOT on their list of prices (neither per kWh nor per minute). But we know that Tesla alleges they are building superchargers in ND, AR, and HI this year.

So why list NS, where they have not announced plans to build, but not ND and AR where they have publicly said they will build?

And how would a station in NS make sense without at least one station in NB (the bare minimum necessary to link a station ANYWHERE in NS to the rest of the network by road)? Brewer, ME is the closest supercharger to NS and it is ~480 km from the NS border--you probably can't do that in the winter even with a P100D unless you crawl.

I suppose it's possible they plan to break ground in NS imminently, but that would suppose that they would put a station in NS SOLEY for NS owners--i.e. it would help people who reside in NS get around the province, to and from PEI or some parts of NB, etc. but it could not (I don't think?) logically help anyone get into or out of the Maritimes.

I think the odds of NS before NB are super low, because I believe there are only a handful (literally) of Model S owners in NS. (Are there any Model X owners there?) I'm sure there are a few owners in NB too, so the same logic of building for them (as unlikely as that is) would apply there PLUS you have the benefit of actually extending the network instead of building an exclave of the network in NS temporarily.

Interesting......

Supercharging

Truro is a good spot for one, but we need to get New Brunswick covered imo.

And how would a station in NS make sense without at least one station in NB (the bare minimum necessary to link a station ANYWHERE in NS to the rest of the network by road)?
They did Rivière-du-Loup before Quebec City - not quite as far, but they left a gap there. My guess is that they have a site identified in NS but not NB yet, and the order of installation is just based on when they can get a site lined up. If NS is ready to go, they'll do it first and then connect it to the network via NB as soon as they can. Any progress in the Atlantic provinces would be very welcome!

Reactions: Jaff
I believe the cross Canada supercharger network will get done, but I would bet on 2019, not 2017 for the last link in the chain. I hope they focus on connecting Quebec out to Halifax first.

Even if it's the first quarter of 2019, it still ties in with (probably) what will be the earliest Model III deliveries...I think it is important for Tesla to be able to tell Canadians that the Model III is capable of crossing Canada on supercharging...

NS Speculation : An environmentalist/Tesla Fan/Business owner who sees the advantages of hosting Superchargers has offered Tesla a sweet deal, thus putting his/her site on top of the list.
Could be. I gather that Tesla gets a "sweet deal" at many of the supercharger sites - Tesla pays for the installation and electricity but they don't pay rent. Back before Port Hope was built, I exchanged some emails with a mall owner in Cobourg, who said that they declined to host a supercharger site because Tesla wasn't willing to pay rent. It comes down to how the property owners see it - as a forward-looking way to satisfy an important society need, that also attracts customers to their business, or (as the mall owner approached it) as a gas station.

Reactions: Duckjybe
I had written Tesla about my concerns with the missing Woodstock SC site on the new 2017 map. Here is the interesting reply they sent me (which gives me hope again for a Maritime SC link):

"Thank you for your email and feedback. The Supercharger map on our website is a representation of the corridors we plan to enable and the timing. While we are certainly committed to establishing the Supercharger Network throughout New Brunswick, our new 2017 map displays a realistic execution plan for network development and a tangible goals for this year. Each year we try our best to share information about our current site plans, but there are several factors that can affect timelines so we cannot make any guarantees."

A few things to consider:
In several locations (for varying reasons) Tesla has aggressively pushed out Destination Charging instead of a larger population of SC's. Two examples of that are Manhattan and Miami. If you look in those areas you will find relatively high availability of Destination Chargers.

If you look at. New Brunswick you can now see a small but growing number of Destination Chargers. While HPWC are certainly not SC's, at least some of them pack a decent charge in a decent amount of time. Hotels in particular offer a full charge for a full night of rest, so there is an option to use them which is usually far better then the typical Level 2 J1772.

There are other ways to get to NS particularly from the states other then through Moncton. It just depends on where you are coming from. - The Ferry from Portland (seasonal) comes to mind as well as the Digby ferry from NB. In both of those cases there is destination charging either at or extremely close to the ferries on both sides.

In Portland there is a wealth of options including fast DC Chademo and high amperage Tesla Destination Chargers. In Yarmouth where they land there are now 2 destination charging locations - which is allot for a small place like Yarmouth. There are several Destination Charging options near the border crossing in Saint Stephen and in St. John there are several J1772. In Maine on or near Route 1 there are now many Destination charging options if you want to stay off 95- and of course there is now the Brewer SC. From the NS I easily made it across the ferry at Digby to destination charging in the St. Stephen area and on to route 9 to Brewer. No angst at all.

On the other side in NS, 2 new Destination Chargers are going in Annapolis Royal (not on the map yet but the hardware has been delivered) and if you cant make it that far from the ferry, there is a J1772 in Digby just a few miles from the ferry pier at the town hall and near plenty of restaurants and the famous Digby clambs. Going the other way south from Yarmouth there are a fleet of J1772's in Bridgewater and there is a HPWC 80 Amp. near Lunenburg.

Going full on the ferry likely will get you non-stop to Halifax depending on your car and the weather. Personally I stop and pick up a few Km's on that long a stretch but I only have a 70.

Using the major 10X highways in all cases there are Level 2 chargers on the way to Halifax but they usually are a few miles off of the highway. Not terrible, it works. Plugshare is your friend.

I know it works because I have done the trip between Miami Fl, and Lunenburg 4 times over 2 years. I can tell you that the first time 2 years ago was pretty scary. Not so the last trip. It is much much better.

Halifax is clearly an issue and IF they are putting in a SC there (versus just someone happening to put a number in a chart) that would be great. It is the main destination for many and there are no destination chargers there last time I checked. It is an issue. There are some J1772 around and one Chademo but it is pretty skimpy and a SC there makes sense because it can get you to the other launching off places.

The big disappointment clearly is the elimination of Woodstock from the map. Clearly they knew it was there, they are telling us that this route is not a priority but I am trying to figure out the logic. There is no shortage of places to put one - maybe there is another agenda, or maybe someone just made a mistake. Likely it happens. If they are going to do Woodstock they may as well do Moncton, although there ARE destination chargers there.

So for now - you CAN make the trip. It does involve more planning then just pointing your car and letting it figure it out for you, but it is MUCH better then the past.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
It is definitely doable since I have taken 4 trips to N.S. in the last few years. None of those have been to Halifax. If someone is going to the northern parts of the province or to PEI the ferries are just not convenient.
I have done this trip via Riviere du Loup and via Maine. It is not that one cannot do the drive, it is that it is such a long stretch from the last SC's and one more at Woodstock would have saved literally hours off the drive. And the main feeling I have is that I feel like someone has been dangling a carrot before me for two years and has now yanked it away. I am very serious when I say that a part of my decision to buy our Model S was that the drive to the Maritimes looked like it was going to be relatively almost as convenient as most other routes over North American, with the Rivière du Loup and Woodstock SC's "coming soon". R du L SC is finally up but too late for 2016's driving season? I have come to this forum for two years now watching for activity on the eastern Canadian build out and it has generally been a long frustrating vigil. Given the reply to my email I expect that the earliest we will see a SC in the Maritimes will be on the "coming in 2018" map, which probably means being built in late 2018 after the summer driving season, effectively being 5 years of waiting for me.
No question that I love the car and love the direction that the company is doing in the whole alternative energy realm to save the planet. Thanks for the opportunity to vent my frustrations. I still am an absolute fanboy of Tesla. Just a frustrated one.

Be aware that the Boston Pizza at the Kingston SC is closed due to a fire!
Made a new post about it but probably should have gone here instead.
It had a fire in the kitchen last weekend and it's anyone's guess how long it takes to rebuild the kitchen and the fire Marshall probably has to sign off on it.
Did the food taste better after?

Beat me to it! I just saw this this morning (and excitedly texted another forum member).

The interesting thing is that no prices are listed for NB (or PEI, NL, MB, or SK). That COULD mean those provinces allow resale of electricity by kWh, but that would imply Tesla should have listed their prices per kWh, like they did with states in the US that allow electricity resale.

But the code structure on the US and Canadian pages is different--in the Canadian version it's just a flat table where the US version populates a drop-down list showing most states.

From casual viewing though I think the Canadian version is still being generated by the server on page load--I do not think it is a static part of the actual page content. That would make sense because they would want to update it eventually or at least use the same page templates for all (English speaking) locales and just drop the prices into the right spot. If I were designing the pages, I would save the price info separately in a database and call it on page load, based on locale of the browser.

Anyway, in the US, states that currently have no superchargers (ND, AR, AK, HI) are NOT on their list of prices (neither per kWh nor per minute). But we know that Tesla alleges they are building superchargers in ND, AR, and HI this year.

So why list NS, where they have not announced plans to build, but not ND and AR where they have publicly said they will build?

And how would a station in NS make sense without at least one station in NB (the bare minimum necessary to link a station ANYWHERE in NS to the rest of the network by road)? Brewer, ME is the closest supercharger to NS and it is ~480 km from the NS border--you probably can't do that in the winter even with a P100D unless you crawl.

I suppose it's possible they plan to break ground in NS imminently, but that would suppose that they would put a station in NS SOLEY for NS owners--i.e. it would help people who reside in NS get around the province, to and from PEI or some parts of NB, etc. but it could not (I don't think?) logically help anyone get into or out of the Maritimes.

I think the odds of NS before NB are super low, because I believe there are only a handful (literally) of Model S owners in NS. (Are there any Model X owners there?) I'm sure there are a few owners in NB too, so the same logic of building for them (as unlikely as that is) would apply there PLUS you have the benefit of actually extending the network instead of building an exclave of the network in NS temporarily.

Don't forget that Tesla already has a presence in NS. In addition to the Dahn lab affiliation at Dalhousie University, they also have an R&D office in Dartmouth. Perhaps a supercharger would be of some use there...