Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fan does come on during supercharging, but rarely. I remember our first road trip to NY the fan was blasting in Albany, we'd just exited the highway from a multi hour drive in summer conditions.

Ugh! I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. My fan/cooling system has never come on once, ever, while Supercharging. I drive a lot in the Midwest US in summer. I've driven off the Interstate after hours in near 100 F temps, plugged in at 20% SOC and the car just sits there perfectly quietly. Other cars are roaring like jets ready for takeoff. Tesla says they've checked everything and that "the cooling system will come on if it's needed". I don't know why mine never, ever needs cooling while Supercharging...

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
... Tesla says they've checked everything and that "the cooling system will come on if it's needed". I don't know why mine never, ever needs cooling while Supercharging...

If you're capped at 90 kW, that can explain a lot of it. What color is your car? Lighter colored vehicles need less active cooling than darker ones.

By the way, in case you're not aware, the anti-Tesla troll Niedermeyer doesn't repect signatures and has quoted you outside of the forum. Combustion: With Misleading Messages And Customer NDAs, Tesla Performs Stealth Recall

You said, and I quote from post #3977 "It will be several years before we see any more SC's in Canada I'm afraid!" Several = more than one. But I am still willing to take the bet that there will be at least one SuperCharger opening in Canada in 2017.
Let me check with Elon to see what he has to say about SC's this year or next in Canada and then I can possibly make the bet with you! Lol!

Mine never seems to. The Roadster roars charging at 40A. Count your blessings.

I suppose... as long as my "blessing" isn't cooking my battery!

If you're capped at 90 kW, that can explain a lot of it. What color is your car? Lighter colored vehicles need less active cooling than darker ones.

The original dark (almost black) blue.

While I am in the camp of believing that Tesla will build several SuperChargers in Eastern Canada in 2017 (my guess would be 5 - 2 in the GTA, Sudbury, North Bay and Ottawa), I don't believe that Charging should be their priority. Tesla's current priority should be getting the Model 3 into production and scaling up the production line to be able to deliver hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year.

• Disagree
Reactions: iKhalid
While I am in the camp of believing that Tesla will build several SuperChargers in Eastern Canada in 2017 (my guess would be 5 - 2 in the GTA, Sudbury, North Bay and Ottawa), I don't believe that Charging should be their priority. Tesla's current priority should be getting the Model 3 into production and scaling up the production line to be able to deliver hundreds of thousands of vehicles per year.

Tesla needs to be able to juggle multiple priorities if they intend to survive the next few years. And without additional charging capacity there are going to be an awful lot of highly upset Model 3 owners.

Reactions: Falkirk and iKhalid
Cannot agree. With a barrage of new competitors in the ev market starting this year, THE difference maker for Tesla is the ability to Supercharge. A public relations disaster would be seeing article after article showing long lines of the new Model 3's at chargers. Remember with ongoing Model S and X sales, and your "hundreds of thousands" of Model 3's, the Tesla fleet will double in the next year or year and a half. And Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, GM, Ford would make a point of highlighting it.

And without additional charging capacity there are going to be an awful lot of highly upset Model 3 owners.
Not in 2017 if they don't get the Model 3 production going.

We all agree that they need more SCs in Canada but that is more to expand the range of travel. Doubling the number of Teslas on the road won't cause capacity issues at Canadian SCs in the short term. How often are Canadian SCs, other than Lawrence Ave, anywhere near capacity? And even if all goes well with Model 3 production there won't be a material number of Model 3s on the road until mid 2018, so that could be 2018 priority - even more so from a Canadian perspective as Canadian deliveries will likely start later.

The map on the Tesla Supercharger page has been updated an there are now grey coloured "Coming Soon" SCs. There appear to be some that we have not seen before, including Owen Sound. It also looks like they have the following locations (guesses from the map): Ft. Erie, St Catherines, Hamilton, Brantford, about three in the GTA, Belleville, Ottawa, Petawa, North Bay, Sudbury, Owen Sound, and about 11 locations in Quebec.

edit - On second thought it looks more like Owen Sound than Tobermory - post above changed to reflect this.

Hello all. Question about the Cornwall SC. I've seen in other posts there is one there, but Tesla's own SC maps doesn't indicate there is anything there: Find Us | Tesla Canada.

Is that just an error?

I'm planning a trip to Montreal from Toronto, and getting a 3rd SC stop during the trip helps break up the drive (and cuts down on the charging time in Kingston).