Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Jaff, please substantiate why you disagree with my statement.

When announced in 2008, Model S was supposed to hit the market in 2010. It did in 2012. That's 2 years behind schedule.
Model X was supposed to be related in 2013, it was actually in 2015. That's 2 years behind schedule.
Model 3 was supposed to be related in 2014, we are in 2017 and regular clients may receive it in October. That's 3 years behind schedule.

The only thing is, there's a large number of Superchargers "by the end of 2017" that haven't appeared. In fact most of the 2017 Superchargers have not appeared. Yeah it's a "target", but when you've barely made a dent in the list and there's a little over three months left...
As far as I can tell there are 0 Superchargers opened or under construction in Ontario of the 19 that were supposed to be opened in 2017. And North Bay appears to have been pushed back to the 2018 list. Quebec has two SCs open or under construction. Lots of promises but not a lot of action so far.

I doubt we will see any more this year as the weather is now about to change across the country.
I don't believe Tesla is in any hurry to install them in Canada in much the same way the construction on highway 410 in Brampton will never be finished as it is a government "make work" project for workers. It's been four years like this and there is no sign of this mess ever coming to an end. How long should it take to widen a road? Unbelievable government corruption of taxpayer funds!

• Disagree
Reactions: IdaX and Jaff
The point is that once these are up and running you will be able to get across the country - I would say the only exception is really NL. You could make it from Truro to Sydney. The route from MB to BC that you mention is an alternate northern route for the Trans Canada with far fewer large cities, with the exception of S'toon and Edm.[/QUOTE
@Jaff, please substantiate why you disagree with my statement.

When announced in 2008, Model S was supposed to hit the market in 2010. It did in 2012. That's 2 years behind schedule.
Model X was supposed to be related in 2013, it was actually in 2015. That's 2 years behind schedule.
Model 3 was supposed to be related in 2014, we are in 2017 and regular clients may receive it in October. That's 3 years behind schedule.

Only because you're looking to the past, not the future (Model 3)...there is much more on the line right now (vehicle unit wise)..I think this is now a top priority for Tesla in Canada.

Time will tell.

I'm wondering if these cycles of promises and then under-delivery have an underlying fiscal cause. Tesla raises a large amount of cash and then allocates some to facility and supercharger expansion. Then the Model XYZ rollout consumes more cash than hoped and they pull back on spending.

I doubt we will see any more this year as the weather is now about to change across the country.
I don't believe Tesla is in any hurry to install them in Canada in much the same way the construction on highway 410 in Brampton will never be finished as it is a government "make work" project for workers. It's been four years like this and there is no sign of this mess ever coming to an end. How long should it take to widen a road? Unbelievable government corruption of taxpayer funds!
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

I'm wondering if these cycles of promises and then under-delivery have an underlying fiscal cause. Tesla raises a large amount of cash and then allocates some to facility and supercharger expansion. Then the Model XYZ rollout consumes more cash than hoped and they pull back on spending.

This is my guess. I suspect that $$$ are are the root of the delays.

They need paying customers, so that these systems can become self sustaining.

But then how do you explain the fact that they just announced a whole bunch of new SCs for 2018 a week ago - and they should know how much cash they will need with the M3 and what will get down by the end of 2017? If they know that they won't be delivering on their 2017 promises, which is very likely the case, then they should be holding back on an even bigger promise for 2018. They now have about 40 new SCs promised for Ontario that are supposed to be in place within 15 months, plus expansions of existing locations and lots of other new sites in the rest of the country. And that's just for l'il ole Canada.

But then how do you explain the fact that they just announced a whole bunch of new SCs for 2018 a week ago - and they should know how much cash they will need with the M3 and what will get down by the end of 2017? If they know that they won't be delivering on their 2017 promises, which is very likely the case, then they should be holding back on an even bigger promise for 2018. They now have about 40 new SCs promised for Ontario that are supposed to be in place within 15 months, plus expansions of existing locations and lots of other new sites in the rest of the country. And that's just for l'il ole Canada.

Usually things Tesla promise do happen, but rarely on the promised schedule. It is not uncommon for them to miss the promise date by a year or two. That is perhaps to be expected for a company that is making such huge leaps. They've grown orders of magnitude since I got my Roadster.

So overall you really got to hand it to them, they've really built something pretty amazing. I include in that their products, their factories, and what they've done for the industry overall. If it wasn't for Tesla the current EV revolution wouldn't have happened yet. Their products are way ahead; the 100D is an absolutely amazing car.

That said, the year-or-two late thing has been the norm for promises they make to the Canadian market. Quite often two! Canada seems like their forgotten bastard child. It doesn't help that they keep upping the ante on promises before even trying to fulfill the previous one.

So yeah, I'm a great fan of Tesla and also a little frustrated by them.

Why do people think you can't build in winter?
Why do people think mid August is the time to throw in the towel for 2017?

Also if they announce a planned supercharger in say Mississauga for 2017, they may be doing tons of work behind the scenes (securing a location, lining up contractors, waiting for access to the location).

There's a lot more going on here than just putting a shovel in the ground.

If it were Dec 14 I would understand the pessimism and near anger in the thread but it's September 14th... I got a sunburn today and then went swimming. It's not like it's new years eve yet.

Why do people think you can't build in winter?
Why do people think mid August is the time to throw in the towel for 2017?

Also if they announce a planned supercharger in say Mississauga for 2017, they may be doing tons of work behind the scenes (securing a location, lining up contractors, waiting for access to the location).

There's a lot more going on here than just putting a shovel in the ground.

If it were Dec 14 I would understand the pessimism and near anger in the thread but it's September 14th... I got a sunburn today and then went swimming. It's not like it's new years eve yet.
I think the pessimism is more from past experience than from any form of weather. Once a new location pops up on SuperCharge.info, it can take anywhere from 30 - over 365 days for the station to open (recall RDL). If we haven't seen any enter construction by now, then the odds of it being open this year is pretty slim. Sure, some have started construction under the radar, but those seem rare.

With the new Semi's being announced shortly, where on earth are they going to charge?
The Enroute stations, where the truckers hang out now, is not probable because of their isolated locations.
Also, Semi's are going to need a lot of juice. They can't very well back up into the current SC's! They will have to build a separate SC network fust for the Semi's and where are they going to put them where there will be ample power?
In the parking lot of Wally Mart? I don't think so!
I wonder if Elon has even thought about this!

IF they did all the permits and paper work over the winter, and IF they had dedicated construction teams set up that only we're going to install Superchargers from May to November and IF they had all the materials ready they might get many done. Only would happen with a separate division with the funds available and organized by a results orientated and really driven person team. Maybe could get the KSI people to take it on:eek:!

Pretty sure they will be focused on short-haul trucking. Low-hanging fruit.
Elon said he was closely working with the trucking companies, addressing their specific requirements. And he said the Semis were for long-haul routes.

Of course Tesla has thought about charging for the Semis, it's a basic requirement. That's why when Elon said that there would be a big secondary announcement at the Semi unveil, I predicted he would also unveil Supercharging V3. Probably something like reducing supercharging times by 50%-67%.