Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some additional perspective on population (market):

Washington State = 7.5 Million people, #superchargers = 8, #stores/service centres = 4
Ontario = 14 Million people (95% are in Southern Ontario), #superchargers = 10. #stores/service centres = 4

Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area= 907K people, #stores/service centres = 4
Ottawa = 947K people, #stores/service centres = 0

It seems the Ontario market is underserved. The good thing is there are good growth opportunities in Ontario when Tesla decides to capitalize. The problem is our weak dollar makes Tesla's very expensive although they have come down recently.
This will be my last post on the topic since I don't really want to get in a protracted argument.

But I must say there are more Teslas in the Seattle area than there are in Ontario. After CA, WA has the highest per capita rate of Tesla ownership in North America.

Anyways, I do want more superchargers and service centers everywhere and I do think it is ridiculous that there is no supercharger in the Ottawa area. But if you wanted to make a convincing comparison, picking the Seattle area was a mistake as it has been massively underserved by superchargers as well. There is still only one supercharger between Seattle and Portland which is just crazy and nothing that you could get to from downtown Seattle within an hour during day time traffic.

Also, I think you guys are looking at the eastern United States and seeing all the supercharger construction and I agree that it is frustrating. Because I believe there have only been 4 or 5 new superchargers opened in the western US (Pacific and Mountain Time Zones) in the last 4 or 5 months. So we are basically in the same boat.

Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond area= 907K people, #stores/service centres = 4
Ottawa = 947K people, #stores/service centres = 0

Yes, but there's a river / provincial boundary in the middle of the metropolitan area... Ottawa / Gatineau has 1.3 million.

Cleveland, population 350,000, has a service center.
Pittsburgh, population 303,000, has a service center.

I guess the market penetration is much less due to the low dollar?

This will be my last post on the topic since I don't really want to get in a protracted argument.

But I must say there are more Teslas in the Seattle area than there are in Ontario. After CA, WA has the highest per capita rate of Tesla ownership in North America.

Sorry, I am not trying to be argumentative. I am interested in what the sales/registrations are in Washington for comparison sake given it is hot market out there. Do you have any idea of the numbers? Or links? Thanks.

For those not following the Brossard Dix30 supercharger thread, its now completed. Waiting for power. This being Eastern Canada Supercharger thread I think its worth a mention. Allowing to skip Montreal entirely when moving in the Toronto - Quebec City corridor. Also Levis, QC is awaiting power. Hydro-Québec on site yesterday and today. So we might get two important Superchargers online in the next two weeks.

upload_2017-9-27_14-39-13.png

* P.S.: I hacked the colors of the two (Brossard and Levis) don't get too excited just yet ! :D

So it looks like Levis and Brossard might go online by the end of October! Whipee!
We need more, but I'm afraid that will be it till next May or June. I am disgusted that Ottawa, being an integral city serving Montreal and Toronto, won't be getting one anytime soon!
I truly believe that all those SC's promised for the end of 2017, apart from those out West and the two in Quebec, will have to wait until mid 2018! Any betters out there?

IMO Tesla should put one in Hull before they put one in Ottawa. Far cheaper hydro rates. Real estate probably also cheaper. It would still serve both Ottawa and Gatineau well.

Have to disagree on that one. The bridges are a major bottleneck at rush hour, and it's not at all convenient to the 417 or 416.

(Though for 2018 they've added a Gatineau Supercharger.)

I truly believe that all those SC's promised for the end of 2017, apart from those out West and the two in Quebec, will have to wait until mid 2018! Any betters out there?

I dunno. Now that they have those metro super chargers, I'm starting to think that a lot of the sites listed for around the GTA might be in malls with parking garages, using these units, which means the weather is almost irrelevant to getting them built. Alas, only time will tell.

Reactions: Jaff
So it looks like Levis and Brossard might go online by the end of October! Whipee!
We need more, but I'm afraid that will be it till next May or June. I am disgusted that Ottawa, being an integral city serving Montreal and Toronto, won't be getting one anytime soon!

Did you pay out your last bet from the summer?

I dunno. Now that they have those metro super chargers, I'm starting to think that a lot of the sites listed for around the GTA might be in malls with parking garages, using these units, which means the weather is almost irrelevant to getting them built. Alas, only time will tell.
I wonder if that is the case as most of the 2017 SCs were for suburban areas. I would expect them to be in the far corner of strip malls or large single level, outdoor parking lots. I am talking about places like Cambridge, Pickering, Mississauga, Markham, Richmond Hill, etc. For next year's crop which includes a lot in more urban areas I could see that.

From what I can tell, the jurisdictions where they charge by the kWh are ones that don't have any licensing or, more likely, meter verification regulations.

Perhaps. I'm not particularly sympathetic to the bureaucratic barriers that we've erected in this case. If somebody could show me where I could sign a piece of paper that gave me the option to pay by the kWh using uncertified power meters, rather than this looney $/min scheme, I'd happily sign on. And I suspect that virtually everybody else would as well.