Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering since these are Urban Supercharger do you think they are the supercharger planned on Tesla map? Because there was no supercharger planned on the map for Mascouche but one for Charlemagne which is 10-15 minutes more east... I find the Mascouche location weird. I know it's a good spot for 25/640 intersection with the free bridge but the 40/640 location was more nice in Charlemagne...I wonder if they are pushing (rushing) urban superchargers in location that was not planned because they are easier to install? Both Mascouche and Laval parkings are AWFUL parkings in term of traffic and parking spots.

If somebody could show me where I could sign a piece of paper that gave me the option to pay by the kWh using uncertified power meters, rather than this looney $/min scheme, I'd happily sign on. And I suspect that virtually everybody else would as well.

Well, I would for sure since I've already determined that my car reports about 20% low compared to a utility grade meter on the supply ;)

Pretty sure this is all based on M3 reservation maps..
I have to bet that there are tons of M3 reservations in Ontario as well.

My guess is that they just happen to have a squad up and running in Quebec so they may also well keep going in the local area. But there is no reason why they can also have one in Southern Ontario as there are more than a dozen SCs supposed to be done near Toronto in 2017.

Two more permits now in Montreal giving them a total of 5 Supercharges in the city and immediate area while Toronto still only has one!
Is this fair?

Personally, I wish Tesla would concentrate on putting Superchargers further afield to enable road trips. A bunch of Superchargers near to where I live are next to useless to me. (I do get that they are trying to deal with folks who have no home charging, but I think a proliferation of L2 sites makes more sense for that).

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
Pretty sure this is all based on M3 reservation maps..
Nah definitely think you're reading too much into the tea leaves here. Based on what little I know about the two cities/areas, I'm sure there are at least as many M3 reservations in Toronto as there are in Montreal. I'm guessing it's just random. Tesla got a good deal with some host properties in Montreal and started to build, while Toronto has been tougher to make deals for whatever reason.

• Disagree
Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
There hasn't been a new SC in Ontario in a year now! It almost seems like there's one team (or one person?!) for Canada and they're currently just working Quebec... Still a bunch listed as "target by end of 2017" in Ontario/GTA region, but I haven't seen or heard of any progress. Has anyone spotted any signs of construction?

Personally, I wish Tesla would concentrate on putting Superchargers further afield to enable road trips. A bunch of Superchargers near to where I live are next to useless to me. (I do get that they are trying to deal with folks who have no home charging, but I think a proliferation of L2 sites makes more sense for that).

Actually I disagree with that. A level 2 site, requiring hours of charging, that was just 1 km from home would not be practical. Lots of walking, and since it can handle one car a night per charger your odds of getting a free slot is much lower. You either need L2 absolutely everywhere, or Superchargers spread about urban areas.

There hasn't been a new SC in Ontario in a year now! It almost seems like there's one team (or one person?!) for Canada and they're currently just working Quebec... Still a bunch listed as "target by end of 2017" in Ontario/GTA region, but I haven't seen or heard of any progress. Has anyone spotted any signs of construction?
I am not sure that is the case - as I said somewhere else I am guessing that they just have a crew going in Quebec so they will keep building. They need a crew (or two or three) in Ontario as well. Then they will need a lot more for 2018 if they are to fulfill their promise.

Still waiting for the first Tesla installation in Atlantic Canada......
Yeah but there aren't any scheduled in Atlantic Canada until 2018. Tesla announced something like 18 SCs in Ontario for 2017 (back in April) and they have yet to build one. Some of these have been on the maps for years - like Sudbury and North Bay.

I hear you that you need them in the Maritimes, but they haven't promised anything until next year - with the exception of the Woodstock, NB site that disappeared a while ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex
Actually I disagree with that. A level 2 site, requiring hours of charging, that was just 1 km from home would not be practical. Lots of walking, and since it can handle one car a night per charger your odds of getting a free slot is much lower. You either need L2 absolutely everywhere, or Superchargers spread about urban areas.

Well, I actually was thinking of L2s everywhere. I wonder how the math works out - how many L2 sites could be installed for every urban Supercharger site? But sure, if you don't have charging at home, something a km away would be next to useless. But if we had a proliferation of workplace charging, charging at shopping centers, parks, arenas and so forth, I think that could work.

If there was reliably accessible charging at work then many people would be covered. I think shopping etc. would help but would not be sufficient. Covering a city in L2 to the point where everyone was within a short walk... well it will happen eventually but it will cost a lot more than a few Superchargers.

• Love
Reactions: Aussie Bob