Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There hasn't been a new SC in Ontario in a year now! It almost seems like there's one team (or one person?!) for Canada and they're currently just working Quebec... Still a bunch listed as "target by end of 2017" in Ontario/GTA region, but I haven't seen or heard of any progress. Has anyone spotted any signs of construction?
FWIW: I was speaking to a trusted rep today about the CHAdeMO adapter and lack of progress with SC's in Ont and Atlantic Canada and he commented that they are aware of the pent up demand for progress on SC's and they expect actual ground to be broken in the GTA in the next three weeks (but couldn't swear as to which ones will be built this fall, or if all of he GTA sites will be up by the holidays). They were told that the map is being slowly updated as locations are confirmed with issued permits and there are some confirmed for the GTA for Oct. He couldn't answer if all of the planned Canadian SC's identified as 'completed before the end of 2017' will actually be completed because much is due to municipal red tape and land agreements. It's not much, but sounds a bit more promising than the open 2017 and 2018 timeframes. I guess we will find out soon.

• Informative
Reactions: rpm001
No love for Atlantic Canada.
To be fair, I got a bit focused when he mentioned progress for the GTA and failed to push him on other regions, but yes it seems they are going after higher density locations first. That said, the most recent Tesla SC map is getting better, with NB and NS included.
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 11.09.03 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
In what way? They just added a few in Atlantic Canada to the 2018 map, there are at least a couple of dozen Ontario chargers in the 2017 map that are ahead of that in the queue.
I wouldn't get hung up on there actually being a "queue". At this point, all 2017 locations are realistically not going to make it this year and at best will happen in 2018. In that case, everything is 2018 at this point.

Furthermore, these get built out based on many factors outside of Tesla control, so Tesla is not likely determining the order.

They were told that the map is being slowly updated as locations are confirmed with issued permits and there are some confirmed for the GTA for Oct.
This does not appear to be the case as when you look at the map on the Tesla web site all of the sites are right on the city name as it appears on the map, which appears to be using Google Maps. Therefore they appear to be placeholders for the town/city rather than an exact, permitted location. This is the case for Pickering, Markham, Vaughan, Concord, Toronto, Mississauga, Meadowvale, etc.

One possible exception is Hamilton which isn't exactly on the city name, it shows at Ray St just south of Canada St. But I am not sure about that as this doesn't look like a great location on a dead end street.

Furthermore, these get built out based on many factors outside of Tesla control, so Tesla is not likely determining the order.
That is true to a point but I think they have a certain degree of control over sequencing, especially when it comes to hiring a contractor to do the work. It probably is up to Tesla whether they do a bunch in Southern Ontario or whether they decide to do the bunch in NB/NS given the logistical planning required.

Just for fun, here's the forecast supercharger map for the end of 2016, made in December 2015:

Superchargers-2015-12-08-2016.jpg

Overall it's pretty close to today's map, with some significant locations missing (North Dakota, the link to Winnipeg, North Bay, Sudbury, Ottawa, one in New Brunswick) and a few that were added but weren't on the forecast map. So if history is any guide, we should expect Tesla's predicted supercharger maps to become more or less reality about a year after they say.

This does not appear to be the case as when you look at the map on the Tesla web site all of the sites are right on the city name as it appears on the map, which appears to be using Google Maps. Therefore they appear to be placeholders for the town/city rather than an exact, permitted location. This is the case for Pickering, Markham, Vaughan, Concord, Toronto, Mississauga, Meadowvale, etc.

One possible exception is Hamilton which isn't exactly on the city name, it shows at Ray St just south of Canada St. But I am not sure about that as this doesn't look like a great location on a dead end street.

Yes, this might be a good way to watch.

The Hamilton one is certainly not a real location. It's clearly just planted on someone's garage in a residential neighborhood.

Overall it's pretty close to today's map, with some significant locations missing (North Dakota, the link to Winnipeg, North Bay, Sudbury, Ottawa, one in New Brunswick) and a few that were added but weren't on the forecast map. So if history is any guide, we should expect Tesla's predicted supercharger maps to become more or less reality about a year after they say.

On the Canadian side, it's pretty close in British Columbia and Alberta. East of there it's perhaps half a dozen short, with the whole route to Winnipeg being the worst miss.

So yeah, a bit more than a year behind.

HA HA HA HA. No sign of Supercharger activity in Ottawa so far.

The Aviation museum has a good destination charger. Little hard to find (or at least, hard to get to). But they do charge for parking.

You can come by our office for a charge if needed (Diffraction Limited). 208V, 70A, no charge (for parking). There is a chinese food place within walking distance (great food, dumpy otherwise), and a Tim's.