Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I understand correctly, Ontario does not allow super chargers to charge by the kilowatt hour but rather by the minute.
You are correct.

Like some other power regions in North America, one needs to be a "utility" in Ontario to sell energy by the kWh.

Another archaic practice that will have to be changed as more individuals become energy producers and/or temporary energy storage providers on our march towards a net zero grid/economy.

Ottawa too, or am I reading that wrong? Or are they considering the existing Ottawa location to be affiliated with a Canadian Tire at the mall?

Once again, nothing for Quebec.
Pretty sure that Ottawa on that list is actually Nepean. None of the Superchargers are actually new - they have been announced in the past, so don't be surprised that there is nothing in Quebec. But what is new is that we now know that these will be at Canadian Tire stores.

None of the Superchargers are actually new - they have been announced in the past, so don't be surprised that there is nothing in Quebec.

But what is new is that we now know that these will be at Canadian Tire stores.

I am not sure what you mean. There are many Quebec Superchargers that have been "announced" for a long time without yet materializing.

Considering it's a national chain, it's disappointing that Canadian Tire apparently can't be a host for some of the missing Quebec sites.

There have been 17 Supercharger openings in Ontario since the last one in Quebec in 2018, so it's frustrating when potential roads forward are blocked. (Compare to 13 Superchargers in all of Quebec since the dawn of time.)

It appears Quebec is the red-haired stepchild of the Supercharger Gods.

It was true eight months ago and it is worse today. Somehow not one of the last 45 Canadian Superchargers to open is in Quebec.

Maybe this will change in 2020, but past openings in Quebec have mostly been in Autumn. So, congestion during peak periods will likely get worse this Summer before it gets better.

I am not sure what you mean. There are many Quebec Superchargers that have been "announced" for a long time without yet materializing.
What I meant by this is that the Superchargers that are going to be at Canadian Tires are all Superchargers that have been on the Tesla map for a long time. So it isn't like this was an announcement of new Superchargers. Therefore there isn't much to gain about whether any Quebec Superchargers were on this list.

For example, if Ste. Therese was on this Canadian Tire list what would it gain you? You would know where the Supercharger would be but it is not a marginal increase in Superchargers in Quebec, assuming that all of those on the list will eventually get built.

What I meant by this is that the Superchargers that are going to be at Canadian Tires are all Superchargers that have been on the Tesla map for a long time. So it isn't like this was an announcement of new Superchargers. Therefore there isn't much to gain about whether any Quebec Superchargers were on this list.

For example, if Ste. Therese was on this Canadian Tire list what would it gain you? You would know where the Supercharger would be but it is not a marginal increase in Superchargers in Quebec, assuming that all of those on the list will eventually get built.
You put a lot more stock in the Tesla map than I do.

You put a lot more stock in the Tesla map than I do.
I have been highly critical of how long it takes to get the sites built but I think that every site in Ontario on the map has eventually been built, or at least moved to a nearby location (Starwood>Casselman is one example). If I remember correctly Woodstock, NB disappeared from the map without being built but then it reappeared and eventually opened. See my thread here from over three years ago that goes over the Superchargers announced in 2017. Four of twenty of those sites have yet to open, but I believe that they will still open eventually. So once a site is announced it is almost always opened.

Which sites on the map are you aware of that were never built?

For those in the GTA, the Tesla Owners club of Ontario is working to have the head of Tesla’s Canadian SuperCharger network, as the guest speaker at next months meeting. If you are interested in this topic, you may want to attend. Tentatively set for The evening of March 3rd. Riviera Events & Convention Centre 2800 Hwy 7, Vaughan, ON L4K 1W8

Tesla Owners Club – Ontario
Those of us in Eastern Ontario who can't make it to Toronto would appreciate someone asking about the status of Brockville, Renfrew and Nepean.

Reactions: navguy12
I have been highly critical of how long it takes to get the sites built but I think that every site in Ontario on the map has eventually been built, or at least moved to a nearby location (Starwood>Casselman is one example). If I remember correctly Woodstock, NB disappeared from the map without being built but then it reappeared and eventually opened. See my thread here from over three years ago that goes over the Superchargers announced in 2017. Four of twenty of those sites have yet to open, but I believe that they will still open eventually. So once a site is announced it is almost always opened.

Which sites on the map are you aware of that were never built?
By this logic, I believe every supercharger in North Dakota will eventually be built, so Tesla's map has never been wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
By this logic, I believe every supercharger in North Dakota will eventually be built, so Tesla's map has never been wrong.
That's a fair criticism, perhaps I am being too optimistic on the construction. Regarding North Dakota, there only appear to be six of them on the map so it should be fairly easy to keep an eye on these. Personally I would guess that these are very likely to be built as they are along arterial highways and are required for long distance travel. And it shouldn't be hard to actually find sites to locate the SCs The Superchargers that are less likely to be built, at least in my opinion, are ones in urban areas where there will be several other SCs and where it can be hard to find a location that works. The three SCs in the urban core of Toronto (Yonge-Eg, Liberty Village, the Annex) are examples of what I mean by that.

Can you point to Superchargers that were on that map that were withdrawn? Or not built within four years of showing up on the map?

Bumping up this thread to mention that Tesla may have had plans to build Superchargers at Place Ste-Foy during the Phase 2 renovations of the parking garage. Has phase 2 been completed yet? @RiverBrick

Place Ste-Foy Parkades in Quebec City - JULY 2018 - Project of the Month - Canadian Precast Prestressed Concrete Institute

Yes, phase 2 has been open for at least a year and a half now. Just like in the Phase one garage they put one CCS/CHAdeMO and four J1772 there, but no sign of Superchargers afaik.