Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe you could get a local Quebec TESLA club to invite them in.

AFAIK, the last time Tesla made an official statement about the slow Quebec Supercharger deployment was in Autumn 2018. They claimed Quebec Superchargers were being underutilized. If this was ever true, it's patently false now. Recently, I've seen just Levis (10/10) and Laval (15/20) have more occupied stalls than the 20 sites combined in NB, ME, NH and VT that I can see live data for.

In order to sooth discontent at the time, they said Brockville was coming to help the MTL-Toronto corridor and even that hasn't worked out.

Vent/Rant ahead - Really starting to feel ignored in the Ottawa Area. Looking at the GTA compared to Ottawa Area and they are so far ahead. I know it is 6mil:1.3mil metro areas, but the number of locations around Toronto is so much better in comparison. 9+ depending how far you want to measure. I Keep checking on all the 2018 promised SC, Brockville, Perth, Peterborough, Renfrew, Gaitineau, Nepean and still not a one!
Can't they spread them out a bit better? 2 for Barrie? Also if Kingston gets 2 before any of the above mentioned SC I might lose my mind.

Reactions: navguy12
Vent/Rant ahead - Really starting to feel ignored in the Ottawa Area. Looking at the GTA compared to Ottawa Area and they are so far ahead. I know it is 6mil:1.3mil metro areas, but the number of locations around Toronto is so much better in comparison. 9+ depending how far you want to measure. I Keep checking on all the 2018 promised SC, Brockville, Perth, Peterborough, Renfrew, Gaitineau, Nepean and still not a one!
Can't they spread them out a bit better? 2 for Barrie? Also if Kingston gets 2 before any of the above mentioned SC I might lose my mind.
Eastern Canada Superchargers

He also said....that Kitchener, London and Niagara Falls would be done within a month or so.....and that happened, much to everyone's surprise

So, chin up, my guess is that you're next

It’s not just up to Tesla. Local government, property owners and utilities are all involved. Roadblocks can come up from any of those. They have many target areas, where they just can’t resolve things with those third parties and a way that makes sense and is fiscally responsible.

Got the impression Tesla is trying very hard to double the number of installations in Canada, and that it is not a resource constraint on their end. If you know a property owner in a good location that is open to Tesla chargers, has suitable zoning, and there is the ability to add a 1-2 MW transformer, Tesla would love to hear from you. They are not ignoring eastern Ontario, that is an expressed priority for the second half. However many sites just don’t work out, for third party reasons.

High population downtown Toronto still has no SC, and many there live in Condos, with no home charging. They just can’t make the $ work in that area.

The question is:
- What are reasons for local gov, property owners and utilities to not want them?
- Does Tesla have to focus on more partnerships with larger chains like CF (previously) or maybe an franchise chain?

I noticed that many EV installations are mainly happen due to federal government money. Not sure why Tesla cant propose in the Phase 3 funding to build at least one CCS and/or one CHAdeMO station at each of their new Superchargers.

Last edited:
It’s not just up to Tesla.

Of course it isn't just Tesla, but at the end of the day Tesla's business decisions have the most impact on Supercharger deployment (or lack thereof).

Only one of the last 51 Canadian Supercharger installations is in Quebec (Chicoutimi/Saguenay) and permitting was completed there a year before they finally got around to construction, so you can't blame local governments, business owners, etc.

Chicoutimi2.jpg

Found an article listing that a new supercharger will be at Peterborough Lansdowne Place.

Tesla drivers plugging into Quinte Mall chargers more often

The charging station setup is similar to other malls such as the Pickering Town Centre and, in the near future, Lansdowne Place in Peterborough, which is placing seven new charging stations for Tesla vehicles in its parking lot.​

Found an article listing that a new supercharger will be at Peterborough Lansdowne Place.

Tesla drivers plugging into Quinte Mall chargers more often

The charging station setup is similar to other malls such as the Pickering Town Centre and, in the near future, Lansdowne Place in Peterborough, which is placing seven new charging stations for Tesla vehicles in its parking lot.​
Seven stalls is a bit odd, but that seems like confirmation! Please create a thread and I will link the Supercharge Info pin to your post. @Drone Flyer is gonna be all over this

Last edited by a moderator: