Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it’s worth Tesla accidentally revealed “coming soon” Supercharger locations last October. It included 1248 Boulevard la Vérendrye E in Gatineau. Good for the Gatineau-Montreal drivers.
Telsa appears to have bailed on their previously announced strategy of providing SCs in urban areas for car owners that don't have charging at home.

Toronto is somewhat similar - there is the Eaton Centre which isn't ideal and the CNE. And Tesla bailed on two previously announced sites in Toronto - the Annex and Yonge and Eglinton. There are a bunch of other suburban locations, but the city itself is lacking.

Telsa appears to have bailed on their previously announced strategy of providing SCs in urban areas for car owners that don't have charging at home.

Toronto is somewhat similar - there is the Eaton Centre which isn't ideal and the CNE. And Tesla bailed on two previously announced sites in Toronto - the Annex and Yonge and Eglinton. There are a bunch of other suburban locations, but the city itself is lacking.

I can see how Superchargers in a downtown core would be hard to build. Access to power and expensive real estate would be required.

In the case of Gatineau, the location is on the outskirts of town and just off the Autoroute 50. Ideal to top up for the return trip to Montreal.

I can see how Superchargers in a downtown core would be hard to build. Access to power and expensive real estate would be required.

In the case of Gatineau, the location is on the outskirts of town and just off the Autoroute 50. Ideal to top up for the return trip to Montreal.
Yes this is on the limit during winter for me. My son in law lives about 5 km's from there and when I got to his place on Xmas eve during the snow storm I was in a bad need of a charge in my 2022 Model 3 RWD. Just over 200 km's and was down at 10% left. Summer I arrived at 45% so I was able to get back to Castleman to charge.

I don't know why they are ignoring this stretch. After Tesla finishes a bit more construction there will be 8 supercharger locations in the 184km stretch from Port Hope to Gananoque. Surely they could throw in a couple of locations between London and Comber? Look at how sparse the red dots are in the bottom left of this map.

Sarnia or Strathroy could sure get some love as well. We're in Kitchener and have family in both Sarnia and Petrolia, and even when leaving Kitchener at 100% we can barely make it back to London if we do much running around out that way. Grabbing passports just so we can do a 10-minute zap in Port Huron seems a bit ridiculous, and charging in London on the way out there is painful because the battery's still too full to charge quickly. Last week our CCS adapter arrived, hopefully using Electrify Canada's chargers at the Sarnia Planet Fitness works out.

Last edited:
Do you guys really think Tesla is “ignoring” certain areas? Our owners club has had presentations from the Supercharger teams a few times. They are well aware of areas that need better coverage. There are many things that affect a location. Like finding a landlord that will agree, getting approval from various levels of local government and electrical authorities.
If you want to attend future meetings our info is here.

Drive Tesla Canada never shares references to their content.

But mentionnéd in above link:

As part of this collaborative effort, Tesla will open a portion of its existing Canadian Supercharger network to non-Tesla electric vehicles, wherever site hosts allow. Later this year, an open Supercharging route will be piloted for EV drivers between Sudbury and Ottawa. Then, by the end of 2025, 750 charging connectors in public locations will be made available to non-Tesla EV drivers, through a combination of retrofits and new construction, of which at least 350 will be 250kW Superchargers. The open chargers will be distributed across Canada, and the route will include the Trans-Canada Highway from Ottawa to Calgary.​

It’s time to look for magic docks at Sudbury, North Bay, Deep River and Nepean. And maybe an location in Renfrew.

As part of this collaborative effort, Tesla will open a portion of its existing Canadian Supercharger network to non-Tesla electric vehicles, wherever site hosts allow. Later this year, an open Supercharging route will be piloted for EV drivers between Sudbury and Ottawa. Then, by the end of 2025, 750 charging connectors in public locations will be made available to non-Tesla EV drivers, through a combination of retrofits and new construction, of which at least 350 will be 250kW Superchargers. The open chargers will be distributed across Canada, and the route will include the Trans-Canada Highway from Ottawa to Calgary.​

It’s time to look for magic docks at Sudbury, North Bay, Deep River and Nepean. And maybe an location in Renfrew.
Maybe time for more superchargers in those areas as well.

Wonder if that means Sudbury is going to be upgraded to V3, it's only 150kW currently.

Is there a V2 Supercharger station anywhere in the world that has been upgraded to V3? None that I'm aware of.
There are quite a few in the US where they have added v3 stalls. But they keep the old v2 stalls and cabinets in place. No reason to get rid of older sites or older stalls. Better to just keep adding to the network.

Do you guys really think Tesla is “ignoring” certain areas? Our owners club has had presentations from the Supercharger teams a few times. They are well aware of areas that need better coverage. There are many things that affect a location. Like finding a landlord that will agree, getting approval from various levels of local government and electrical authorities.
If you want to attend future meetings our info is here.
Sorry, I am a bit late on responding to this. It just seems weird that the stretch from Port Hope to Gananoque is chock-a-block with SCs, with an average of one SC site every 20 km, but Southwestern Ontario is rather barren - see the map I posted on post #5200 of this thread. We know that there can be issues finding exact locations, and the highway isn't really along towns the way that it is around Trenton/Belleville/Napanee, but there aren't even signs that they are working on this, like announcing a site - even if it takes many years to actually build the site - see Brockville.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Is there a V2 Supercharger station anywhere in the world that has been upgraded to V3? None that I'm aware of.
1685910118015.png

A few in that list, examples:
- Beaver, UT
- Warsaw, NC
-Joplin, MO

Usually, these are moves, where they open a new V3 location across the street (or within 500 metres) and close the old one.

Reactions: Big Earl
… It just seems weird that the stretch from Port Hope to Gananoque is chock-a-block with SCs, with an average of one SC site every 20 km, but Southwestern Ontario is rather barren - see the map I posted on post #5200 of this thread…
I wonder if tesla also factors in the number of local tesla owners in their calculations to determine supercharger locations, along with owners’s driving heat maps. That’s what I would do if I were them. Not too many Teslas doing road trips in SW ON? No supercharger for you! (Read in your best Seinfeld soup nazi voice).

• Funny
Reactions: KevinT3141